• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Americans becoming less religious due to conservative politics

11193435_10152889536136872_4723303162301014404_n.png

Jesus was pretty conservative. Big on bootstraps, free markets, the death penalty, and military spending.

The Western world has been gradually growing more and more secular since at least the Enlightenment. The long term trend, going back for centuries, is clear. And the secularizing tendency is likely to continue during the century ahead. So, ho hum. Stop the presses if you must but continuing secularization in the West is hardly shocking news.

The Western world has been gradually growing more and more secular since at least the Enlightenment. The long term trend, going back for centuries, is clear. And the secularizing tendency is likely to continue during the century ahead. So, ho hum. Stop the presses if you must but continuing secularization in the West is hardly shocking news.

apparently it's news to the right wing conservative faction of the republican party

You mean to tell me that as the population becomes more educated that fewer and fewer people rely on organized religion to help explain the world around them?

apparently it's news to the right wing conservative faction of the republican party

Fucking great. Now we have to hear more about how they have to "take their country back" during the primaries. Fan-fucking-tastic.

You mean to tell me that as the population becomes more educated that fewer and fewer people rely on organized religion to help explain the world around them?

Sure. But the news is that people leaving religion are specifically attributing their departure to the connection between religion and conservative politics.

Is it because conservatives have hijacked religion or that liberals have become hostile toward religion? One sure fire way to draw ire from the right is to say you are an atheist just like one sure fire way to draw ire from the left is to say you believe in God. I think it is a two way street.

Is it because conservatives have hijacked religion or that liberals have become hostile toward religion? One sure fire way to draw ire from the right is to say you are an atheist just like one sure fire way to draw ire from the left is to say you believe in God. I think it is a two way street.

Captain false equivalency strikes again

lol, no.

I can't think of a democratic nominee for senate or the Presidency that didn't profess to believe in God. Can you?

You guys are great. Look...I am an atheist but just look at how hostile this left leaning board is to religion. This thread was only a few posts deep before you guys were taking shots at religion.

You guys are great. Look...I am an atheist but just look at how hostile this left leaning board is to religion. This thread was only a few posts deep before you guys were taking shots at religion.

Is that an answer to my question?

One thing is for sure, it is much more socially acceptable to answer none or atheist/agnostic to one of these surveys than it used to be. Religious guilt is slowly releasing its death grip on the population.

It would be interesting to see the actual unbiased answers have changed over the years.

I believe in God.

I think organized religion is fucking bullshit.

Back