• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

An Open Letter to Restaurants

The not knowing the fork/knife does bother me but not enough to annoy me.

We were at a restaurant the other day that is a nice one but very small. It is primarily family run. We noticed that they seemed to be rushing everyone out, which is completely out of character for them. Later discovered that the owner was in the back having labor contractions.

I know americans are totally used to this but in many countries (ie Italy) its rude for the waiter to stop by and check on how you're doing, if you need anything, ask how the food tastes, etc. You're really just supposed to leave people alone once they get their food and stand by. If you need something, the waiters are supposed to be keeping an eye on you from afar and you can easily signal to them and they will come over.

Most places in the US, the waiters are trained to check once. But even I can get annoyed when they do it multiple times.

Europe in general is like that. It doesn't bother me. What does bother me is when the wait staff disappears to the point that you can't flag them down to get a refill etc. In Europe it is easier to do the distance thing since restaurants tend to be smaller.

2lkpwmd.jpg

The worst ever is when you need to get the check and the waiter disappears.

My biggest pet peeve is this. When I'm done, our plate are cleared, the check is given, I'm ready to pay. Why must we wait another 5-10 minutes for them to pick up the card?

Second peeve is when they don't listen when they come to get our order, and I say, I might need a minute more, and instead of a minute or two, they come back in ten. "Have you decided?", they inevitably ask. "Yes, nine minutes ago", I want to say.

Back