• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

An Open Letter to Restaurants

At dinner on Saturday they were auctioning off the food. There are four of us. You should be able to know who ordered what.

at a nice place, i agree completely. kind of goes with a waiter not needing to write things down and still getting them right.

I had a waiter last night who talked to customers while he was taking our order. He said, "Sorry, they come here every Sunday. Maybe you guys will become regulars too!" Umm no.

oh, another pet peeve: when they don't take the women's orders first.

You would starve to death if you ever had dinner with my wife. She is physically/psychologically/emotionally incapable of ordering first. Even though it generally takes me less than five seconds to order, she will defer until she is absolutely without any other option but to order something.

I think this one is fading somewhat, but for a while there every young female server felt the need to squat and use the corner of your table to write down your order.

Also not big on the "no problem" response when I tell a server "thank you".

I hate when they take your order without writing it down, inevitably they might come back to ask which thing someone in our party ordered. And if you get the order all correct when it comes out, I'm not impressed it came out correctly. It was supposed to. If you write it down and something comes out wrong you can blame the kitchen but we'll never know who made the mistake; if you didn't and something is wrong then it totally looks to be on you.

I don't think I've ever had food come out incorrectly in my life outside of fast food, what sort of crazy substitutions are people ordering that they get the food wrong?

I don't think I've ever had food come out incorrectly in my life outside of fast food, what sort of crazy substitutions are people ordering that they get the food wrong?

Not really any substitutions, but if I'm in a party of 6 I expect the to write down my order because inevitably they'll have to come back to ask what someone had

Jesus Christ you people are a lot of whiny bitches.

shitty service and poor attention to detail in restaurants is borderline criminal, especially nice restaurants at which the quality of your recreational/entertainment experience is at stake - not to mention lots of cash.

Really? I prefer to go last or towards the end.

i mean, if they come to you and you're not ready and they move on, that's different. but etiquette is that the women's orders are always taken first. apparently they don't teach that much anymore though, because they almost never do that anymore.

shitty service and poor attention to detail in restaurants is borderline criminal, especially nice restaurants at which the quality of your recreational/entertainment experience is at stake - not to mention lots of cash.

lol at your recreational/entertainment experience being ruined by a waiter trying to take your plate away before you are finished with that last french fry.

i never, ever substitute. it's not a substitution problem. it's things like sides getting mixed up. i've even had the entirely wrong entree brought before.

THE IHOP TOOK MY FRIED SAMPLER PLATTER BEFORE I WAS DONE WITH THE LAST MOZZARELLA STICK!

well, yeah. What's your point?

Once you've ordered, you're a nuisance. They'd rather sell the next guy a bottle of wine and a steak, than sell you a dessert and a cup of coffee. I'm not saying it's right, but it explains why they hustle your plates away.

I actually I have one major pet peeve, its when restaurants say they have a french dip and then use roast beef that you can buy at the grocery store.

You know what I really like though? That little tool they use to clean up the breadcrumbs off the table. So cool. It's like a Zamboni for tablecloths.

My dad used to do sales for the company that made those so we had tons in our house. They are awesome. I wonder if he still has a few stragglers.

You have to buy in bulk, they aren't really meant for personal use.

http://www.crumber.com/

Last edited:
Back