• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anatomy of the Collapse of a Failed City

Do a search for school choice. I've explained it numerous times. I don't think you understand that very few people actually get their choice.

Here is the simple question for you. How is a system that requires more from parents going to help kids with rough home lives?

Also I explained on another thread how school choice has turned the three elementary schools into my well to do neighborhood into one highly rated school and two low rated schools even though the two low rated schools are located into two of the wealthier communities in the area.

Last edited:
Do a search for school choice. I've explained it numerous times. I don't think you understand that very few people actually get their choice.

Here is the simple question for you. How is a system that requires more from parents going to help kids with rough home lives?

Also I explained on another thread how school choice has turned the three elementary schools into my well to do neighborhood into one highly rated school and two low rated schools even though the two low rated schools are located into two of the wealthier communities in the area.

I fully understand that you think that, which means I've quoted your position accurately (#undefeated?). It doesn't make your position true, though.

Where did you quote my position accurately?

I'm not against school choice because some parents won't involve themselves. I'm against school choice because it doesn't help improve educational outcomes for all children and sets up unnecessary competition between schools and breeds discontent among those who don't get their choice. "School choice" is a misnomer and not just for the poorest families.

Where did you quote my position accurately?

I'm not against school choice because some parents won't involve themselves. I'm against school choice because it doesn't help improve educational outcomes for all children and sets up unnecessary competition between schools and breeds discontent among those who don't get their choice. "School choice" is a misnomer and not just for the poorest families.

Uh....

I know this is hard to understand because nothing in the world works more perfectly than private sector businesses, but we can't treat education like private sector businesses. In fact, private sector involvement is hurting education today.

Why do you believe competition is necessary?

Let's say a small district has 5 schools. They compete. One rises to the top and is overcrowded. Two are mediocre and have space and two are failing. Parents are choosing between four less than ideal options so some spend even more money on education to send their kid to a private, the state or district spends more money or redistributes money to turn half of a failing school into a charter.

How is that better than the schools working together to make each other stronger?

What do you folks think is the solution then? Sincerely curious.

The status quo system, with or without more money, isn't going to get the job done, so what should we do? It's a tough nut to crack, and I am curious to hear some solutions instead of just naysaying.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140522/LIFESTYLE03/305220030#ixzz32g4xhhUh

“We’re seeing a picture that looks more like some Third-World country than someplace in the United States,” said Dr. Susan Schooley, chairwoman of the Department of Family Medicine at Henry Ford Hospital.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140522/LIFESTYLE03/305220030#ixzz32i2ol1rC

There are some awful stats in that article, but also some ways to help to reverse the trends (including some ACA implications).

Last edited:
Nature is winning the war on collectivism. Yikes.

http://goobingdetroit.tumblr.com/

Note those charts reflect collapse after the bailout. The more money we pour on that grease fire, the more it comes to grief. Good job, good effort, guys.

Last edited:
Back