• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anatomy of the Collapse of a Failed City

By "self-interested forces" you mean structural racism and white supremacy, correct? Some of the public infrastructure (PEOPLE MOVER) is more than a little insane but to speak of what "killed" Detroit you need to start with some of the worst race riots in the country's history.

Racism is what killed Detroit? Seriously? Hahahaha

Wrangor, what do you consider white flight to be?

By "self-interested forces" you mean structural racism and white supremacy, correct? Some of the public infrastructure (PEOPLE MOVER) is more than a little insane but to speak of what "killed" Detroit you need to start with some of the worst race riots in the country's history.

Behold the smoldering crater of Detroit: a monument to the perils of the false comforts of collectivism. This is what happens when you convince enough people that is always someone else's turn to pay their bills.

P.S. Hey Chicago, think it can't happen to you, too? You might want to work on $19.5B in unfunded public pensions so you don't have to find out. Or don't, and we can all be assured that Chicago went under because of racism in Detroit in 1968. Whichever.

Last edited:
Wrangor, what do you consider white flight to be?

So let me get this correct. White people leaving is your stance? Black people aren't able to support themselves? They require white people to support them?

No I don't think white flight is the cause of detroits demise. I believe black people have the innate capability to make it in their own if all the white people leave.

Detroits demise is due to am unwise government philosophy that was implemented by a bunch of black and white people. A philosophy that discouraged personal responsibility and overly relied on government institutions to fix all of the problems of the city. In the end when the government ran out of money, the city crumbled.

Last edited:
You don't think Detroit overrelied on the auto industry?

And the people with money left which lowered the tax base.

The problem is racism. It is always racism. It is never not racism.
P.S. the auto industry is doing fine in right to work states (most of which are widely regarded as the headwaters of all forms of intolerance). Maybe it isn't always racism.

I think we should raise taxes to the point at which we are willing to cut our spending and pay our bills in full and on time like adults. we should stop telling bedtime stories about dragons, wizards and sustainable public pensions.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They're spread out and not concentrated in one city.

I don't hear any trickling

It is hard to hear anything over the crescendo'd voice of the roaring river of $19.5 BILLION dollars of unfunded pension liabilities for the city of Chicago alone, not counting their other public debt (over $13B).

I propose that we start paying our bills. All of us, all of our bills, on time and in full. That will require tax increases for everyone and benefits and spending cuts for everyone, and we have no one to thank but ourselves (but we should thank the Boomers first).

Just sayin, you take great pleasure in holding up Detroit and chicago's ails as your smoking gun against all things collectivism, yet the national economy has been operating under the supply-side model for more than three decades and it's debt has gone from 1 to 9 trillion dollars in that span, and you still think it is the right model. Productivity per worker has more than doubled in that span, yet real wages have not come close. But hey, cell phones and TVs are everywhere....hooray.

So pardon me for not hating labor unions with as much venom as you, but I tend to pull for the underdog and the worker over the coddled executives.

W&b: who pays federal taxes in 2014?

And how is the underdog going to do when his city runs out of money? If you are pulling for him, keep the long term in mind. He'll suffer the worst when the well runs dry. He of all people should want the government to remain solvent. Let's raise taxes and cut spending so his children have a fighting chance.

Back