• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Animal Rights Rally Planned Before Notre Dame game

We know that meth and coke are addictive and bad for you. What else are they testing for?

"For those unaware of our campaign, we are focused on pressuring Wake Forest University to end their cruel animal research especially their addiction research which involves drilling holes into the heads of monkeys and injecting their brains with meth and cocaine. These animals suffer tremendously and there is no reason why they should be tortured when better technology and humane clinical research on human volunteers is possible. Please join us and be their voice. We will hand out fliers and do outreach followed by a silent protest. Fliers and signs will be provided as well as food and beverages."

So I assume they would rather the research be done on humans instead? Would any of them like to volunteer?

What kind of food and beverages will they be serving? Hopefully, it's hot dogs or hamburgers or fried chicken or turkey or venison or quail rabbit or bison or gator bites or fish or shrimp or oysters or clams or some other tasty animal.

That pic of the monkey is exactly what I think sailor looks like when he watches Fox News .

I assume they are drilling holes in the skulls to permeate the brain blood barrier. Probably some valid science involved here, since many drug molecules don't transfer through. Might be helpful to have some basic scientific understanding here before leveling accusations of torture.

We need Barry Lutz to intercede and facilitate a productive conversation about this Monkey Torture.

Barry Lutz has withdrawn his name for consideration of that position

It's a shame I don't have a smoker on the firetruck, or else I'd serve up a ton of meat for consumption.

That’ll be well received. Some dweebs walking around to red blooded American tailgaters trying to strike up a convo about monkey torture. Kneel for money torture today

I wonder if anyone of them witnessed the abuse and carnage that occurred at the hands of their fellow man inside the stadium today.

Probably using it in some research settings. Hospitals might use it in some surgical procedures. It’s a very good vasoconstrictor so it’s helpful in some difficult to clot areas. All cocaine supplies used for medical research and in hospitals comes directly from the federal government.
Most of the medically used cocaine comes from Mallinckodt. The cocaine and meth Wake uses for research comes from NIDA.

I assume they are drilling holes in the skulls to permeate the brain blood barrier. Probably some valid science involved here, since many drug molecules don't transfer through. Might be helpful to have some basic scientific understanding here before leveling accusations of torture.
The holes are for cannulas, which are used in order to directly inject drug into the brain as well as pulling out fluid to access. Cocaine and meth obviously cross the BBB but direct infusion avoids other major variables including differences in metabolism between animals. Addiction has many facets including initiation, reward, reinforcement, relapse, withdrawal, susceptibility, etc. The research is being done to access these aspects behaviors, determine which parts of the brain modulate the behaviors, as well as test for potential treatment strategies and addiction pharmacotherapies. There's really no other way to do it.

I stayed at a downtown hotel near the event. It was pretty much a no show. I think the three that ran on the field were the only ones who showed up.

Back