• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another Football coach leaving?

That becomes more and more true as we upgrade our talent with players like Givens, Camp and Price. To that end, it appears as if we are starting to move towards an offense that maximizes those players' abilities. Our total offense numbers two out of the the past three have been some of the best under Grobe. Certainly, our passing game was the best that it has been under Grobe in those two campaigns.

This is the frustrating part. We lost the Notre Dame game because we didn't involve our playmakers on offense enough, and because our offensive playcalling did not adjust in the second half along with ND's defensive adjustments. We hardly adjust game to game, and never adjust during one. We lack creativity and do not run through our playmakers. Losing Harris hurt, but look at '06, we moved guys around to make sure they got the ball.

I get that we may not have all the pieces put together on offense (see our O-line...who coaches/recruits that?), but I would rather lose games while trying to win them than playing so conservatively.

Last edited:
I work with a coach who knows Grobe and many of his assistants (and has worked at the college level with a former Grobe assistant). He found the firing very strange, but said that Grobe doesn't fire people for little things; must have been a falling out or something bigger to fire two long time friends and coaches after a season that showed some improvement.

On the Lobo issue, he also said that everything Lobo does is what Grobe wants. Sure Grobe is not saying call this play, but Lobo is basically calling the game how Grobe wants it to be called.

I saw an interview (but can remember where) but Grobe said after a play is called dead he tells Lobo to call a run play or pass play. It is then up to Lobo to call the specific play.
Lobo must have that "Shotgun Draw" in bold typeface.

I'm not going to quote the entire passage by D4L, but a few thoughts in response:
1. I don't understand why Grobe would want to limit offensive production. It seems like there is more potential on offense than defense on this team. Clearly our defense can not get a stop at the end of the game when it counts.

I agree with a lot of the stuff you are saying regarding how the offense could be opened up and more points would be scored. I don't think you will find many to disagree with that. But come on with the part I bolded, the WF D got a meaningful stop in literally the last game they played in.

And' i'd argue that the D will be the strength of the team next season. Tons of talent in the secondary and experience/talent at LB. Need a DL or two to step up but there will be a lot of talent on the defense with Nikita, JJ, Lowe, Bud, Zach Allen, Cooper, Marshall, Mack, and the younger guys like Floyd and Ramsey. Hopefully both units come out playing lights out.

I saw an interview (but can remember where) but Grobe said after a play is called dead he tells Lobo to call a run play or pass play. It is then up to Lobo to call the specific play.
Lobo must have that "Shotgun Draw" in bold typeface.

not to be a jerk but I have very rarely seen grobe talk on the sideline and I know he is not talking after every offensive play.

Seems to be inconsistent with other times where he said that he does not dictate plays to his Coordinators. Maybe his stance has changed since the interview. In all honesty, I could see Grobe calling for a run or pass in a particular situation. For example, 3rd and 20 from our own 15. I could see Grobe saying, "Lobo, let's keep the ball on the ground here."

Yeah. That sounds about right. Keep in mind, while the offense is on the field, Grobe is also probably communicating with the defensive staff and talking to players.

While Grobe clearly has a lot of input in the offensive game plan, I would hope he doesn't have to tell Lobo every single time whether to run or pass

considering our QB will audible depending on the defensive formation, that would be kinda tough.

Some people were complaining that Tanner didn't have the ability to audible off plays after the MSU game. Any chance anybody actually know which it is? I honestly can't remember any times that he did audible the routes.

Gamecocks board seem to think Air Force RB coach is the favorite now with another coach interested but would take a pay cut (read: not Galloway) as backup. Seems like Galloway is prob. going to stay. Fingers crossed he gets OC job????

I have heard Grobe say that sometimes Tanner goes up to the line with two plays called and then has to make a decision based on his read of the defense, but he does not have the discretion to call his own play.

I agree with a lot of the stuff you are saying regarding how the offense could be opened up and more points would be scored. I don't think you will find many to disagree with that. But come on with the part I bolded, the WF D got a meaningful stop in literally the last game they played in.

And' i'd argue that the D will be the strength of the team next season. Tons of talent in the secondary and experience/talent at LB. Need a DL or two to step up but there will be a lot of talent on the defense with Nikita, JJ, Lowe, Bud, Zach Allen, Cooper, Marshall, Mack, and the younger guys like Floyd and Ramsey. Hopefully both units come out playing lights out.

Fair comment. I should say that I have had great things to say about our defense this year. I generally think our D played as well as we could ask for. Grobe just relies too much on the D to bail out the offense's inability to sustain drives. The D played good enough to win in most games. Alot of the defensive breakdowns occurred after multiple stops, just our offense did nothing with it.

Our defense played pretty well this year...I just think that Grobe should be working increasing offensive production (points, third down conversions, red zone TDs, etc.) instead of asking the defense to win every game.

Gamecocks board seem to think Air Force RB coach is the favorite now with another coach interested but would take a pay cut (read: not Galloway) as backup. Seems like Galloway is prob. going to stay. Fingers crossed he gets OC job????

The Gamecocks are stacked next year & will start the year in the Top 8 or so. Tough league as LSU returns about 7 on each side of the ball. UGa returns a bunch, Bama loses a few but has reloaded. Arkansas has playmakers and the Gators will be back.....add in Auburn and they could have about 7 teams in Top 20. Spurrier is the man as a coach and fun to watch.

Meanwhile the ACC may have 3 in the top 20 but none in the top 10. Our league sucks and is around 5th our of 6. Even the Big east wins BCS bowl games

I have heard Grobe say that sometimes Tanner goes up to the line with two plays called and then has to make a decision based on his read of the defense, but he does not have the discretion to call his own play.

That is normal. 2 plays are called in the huddle. The QB either runs the first or 'kills' it at the line, which tells everyone the first play is killed and they are running the second play.

Not sure if this has been posted but South Carolina hired a NC State assistant to coach running backs.

Last edited:
Baffling that anyone could have 1 red box under their name, much less 4. You have to be some kind of social moron to do that.

I had to laugh seeing deacfreke praising TheReff's posts on the other board. Almost as funny as the impassioned post defending Bzzzz followed by the disclaimer at the bottom has this wasn't a Bzzzin post.

Back