• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another Football coach leaving?

Special teams and outside LBs assistants. Not on the same level that I'm talking about. It's certainly true they've been with Grobe a long time but that's what makes this so perplexing and even more of a question. Compared to some of what we've seen on offense across the board, special teams and OLBs gets the attention?

Special teams have been a huge problem in recent years. It wasn't that long ago that we were among the top in the country for kick off/punt coverage (due in some part, but not all, to Swank)

USC filled two of their three open positions today, but still have the RB position coach to fill. As a Gamecock and a Deacon fan, I hope Galloway stays with the Deacs.

You dont really believe that do you? I know you're a cynic but come on.

As with the majority of academics he hypothesizes based on some shit another 'hypothesizer' speculated...actual reality escapes him.

Essentially he is qualified for a position at a tabloid.

So you're arguing that Grobe would fire a family member. My hypothesis is based on two facts:
1. Lobo's offenses are among the worst in the country over his time as OC.
2. Lobo is close to becoming family.
3. Lobo hasn't been fired yet and now we know Grobe is willing to fire long time assistants.

For what it's worth I saw Galloway at the game today. He sat with his wife, 2 kids, and a recruit.

Last edited:
Seriously? He just dismissed 2 of them. If Grobe wasn't pleased with Lobo's work then he would be gone. Firing Henry after 17 years together shows that.

^^This. . .It seems to me that Grobe's comments about the firing regarding "complacency" applied to Henry (I seriously doubt that they applied to Billings from what I have heard about him). I don't know this to be true, but I suspect that Lobo is giving Grobe what he wants. Again. . .check out Dan's blog entry. I think it answers the question fairly well.

I don't know how play calling on game day works. I tend to doubt it is the same as play calling an EA Sports' NCAA-titled game. By that I mean, that the OC just doesn't pick plays on the fly. From what I have heard out of Grobe's own mouth is that a lot of the plays on both sides of the ball are predetermined by the game plan.

^^This. . .It seems to me that Grobe's comments about the firing regarding "complacency" applied to Henry (I seriously doubt that they applied to Billings from what I have heard about him). I don't know this to be true, but I suspect that Lobo is giving Grobe what he wants. Again. . .check out Dan's blog entry. I think it answers the question fairly well.

I don't know how play calling on game day works. I tend to doubt it is the same as play calling an EA Sports' NCAA-titled game. By that I mean, that the OC just doesn't pick plays on the fly. From what I have heard out of Grobe's own mouth is that a lot of the plays on both sides of the ball are predetermined by the game plan.

This would explain so much...especially about how things work for a while, quickly don't, and we keep doing it and make no adjustments whatsoever.

Dan's Post on January 6, 2012

Hard on Lobo’s Heels

The posse has saddled back up, those among it who ever unsaddled in the first place. Once again it’s hard on the heels of Steed Lobotzke, a wanted man by many among the fan base for years now. Some of you in the macadamia nut gallery are riding in the posse. I’m hearing from you daily about how if Jim Grobe is going to make the unprecedented move of replacing assistants simply to shake things up, then why would he ever stop before getting to Lobo, the offensive line coach at Wake since 2001 and offensive coordinator since 2003.

A few points, in my mind, are in order.

To understand why Grobe hasn’t changed offensive coordinators for nine years, it might help to know what Grobe wants in an offensive coordinator. My guess is it’s not the same as those clamoring for a change.

I’ve had enough conversation with Grobe on this subject to know that the only offensive coordinator who could ever work for him would be one willing and ever ready to integrate the offense into the team’s game plan as a whole. Any gun-slinging type looking simply to build a reputation on gaudy statistics and lofty NCAA rankings need not apply.

Instead Grobe has long ago made the determination that the best way for Wake Forest to be competitive in ACC football is to play three quarters with the goal of getting to the fourth with a chance to win. It’s not like he wouldn’t like to drub everybody every Saturday, he just doesn’t think it’s going to happen often enough to build a game plan around the possibility. And sure enough, of the 135 games Grobe has coached at Wake Forest, 62 have been decided by seven points or fewer. Of those 62, the Deacons have won 29 and lost 33.

The over-arching strategy actually looked much better early this season when the Deacons won three of their first four games decided by eight points (I know I’m fudging a point to make a case) or fewer to bolt to a 4-1 record than it did late when Wake lost to Notre Dame by seven, Clemson by three and Mississippi State by six to finish 6-7.

Regardless, the philosophy flies in the face of what many feel should be the intent of any team in any sport, which is to start landing punches from the opening bell and not let up until one combatant is carried from the ring. I get that, and I imagine so does Grobe. He just doesn’t think that’s the right approach at Wake.

He has also said time and again that he’s fully on board with how Lobotzke calls a game. If he wasn’t, he would have changed coordinators by now. He has said to get to Lobo, the critics have to go through him. Anyone who takes him at his word would have to consider Lobo a proxy for the criticism that should be leveled instead at the coach who has hired Lobo in the first place, promoted him and who has steadfastly stood by him.

If you’re convinced that 11 seasons is long enough for Jim Grobe to be the head coach at Wake, more power to you. Nobody is happy with three straight losing seasons. Grobe proved that this past week. And if you think you and the school deserve better, then it’s your right, if not obligation, to make your sentiments known. Have at it. That’s one of the reasons I’m here for.

All I have to go by is the 42 seasons I’ve been watching Wake play football, and the research I’ve done on what took place before I arrived on the scene. And to me it’s indisputable that since Peahead Walker left over a contract squabble after the 1950 seasons, none of the 11 coaches who had their shot at the job before Grobe showed up did anything close to what he has accomplished. To argue that some other coach in college football would do better requires a leap of faith these old creaky bones wouldn’t dare attempt.

And besides, as I’ve mentioned a time or two before, I don’t ride in posses.

I don't know this to be true, but I suspect that Lobo is giving Grobe what he wants. Again. . .check out Dan's blog entry. I think it answers the question fairly well.

I work with a coach who knows Grobe and many of his assistants (and has worked at the college level with a former Grobe assistant). He found the firing very strange, but said that Grobe doesn't fire people for little things; must have been a falling out or something bigger to fire two long time friends and coaches after a season that showed some improvement.

On the Lobo issue, he also said that everything Lobo does is what Grobe wants. Sure Grobe is not saying call this play, but Lobo is basically calling the game how Grobe wants it to be called.

Last edited:
I work with a coach who knows Grobe and many of his assistants (and has worked at the college level with a former Grobe assistant). He found the firing very strange, but said that Grobe doesn't fire people for little things; must have been a falling out or something bigger to fire two long time friends and coaches after a season that showed some improvement.

On the Lobo issue, he also said that everything Lobo does is what Grobe wants. Sure Grobe is not saying call this play, but Lobo is basically calling the game how Grobe want's it to be called.

I feel fairly confident that Grobe does not tell Lobo which particular plays to call, however, I believe a lot of the play calling is predetermined by the game plan. . .especially, down and distance.

Is Lobo intricately involved in developing the game plan? Absolutely. But he is doing it within the parameters established by his boss and whatever scouting has revealed by the other assistants. Seems out of whack to be upset at Lobo without also casting aspersion at the other offensive assistants. . .and especially. . . Grobe

I'm not going to quote the entire passage by D4L, but a few thoughts in response:
1. I don't understand why Grobe would want to limit offensive production. It seems like there is more potential on offense than defense on this team. Clearly our defense can not get a stop at the end of the game when it counts. Clearly we are not winning games with our defense. I think we have more chance of scoring more points by being aggressive than our defense being a shut-down, Ravens style defense.
2. So we have a losing record in games decided by under a touchdown? Great! And what about the other games? Is this strategy really working? "Okay guys, let's go keep this one close!" If moral victories counted we'd have won some serious championships.
3. The last comment about being too old to make the jump pretty much sums up our entire athletic program. Maybe a "keep it respectable" approach to football is good enough for most, but it has gotten old. This is especially true since I think we have the talent, especially on offense, to do more.

In summation, I could give a shit about Grobe's philosophy, I would prefer he just find ways to win. If our defense is great, go with it (ala 2006). But recruiting better get better on the D side (and we fired Billings?). And regardless, we will always win when we score more points than the opponent. I don't really care how we do that, but Grobe's philosophy, and Lobo's coordinating, do not seem to be in line with our actual talent on this team.

I don't really care how we do that, but Grobe's philosophy, and Lobo's coordinating, do not seem to be in line with our actual talent on this team.

And that is what the real debate should be. Fans need get over the idea that Lobo is somehow getting away with doing a shitty job or that Grobe is keeping him because they are going to be family members.

Does our game-day philosophy fit with the talent we have? Maybe, maybe not. There are arguments to be made on both sides, but the calls to fire Lobo (which I've been guilty of supporting without fully understanding how things worked behind the scenes) aren't going to change anything.

That becomes more and more true as we upgrade our talent with players like Givens, Camp and Price. To that end, it appears as if we are starting to move towards an offense that maximizes those players' abilities. Our total offense numbers two out of the the past three have been some of the best under Grobe. Certainly, our passing game was the best that it has been under Grobe in those two campaigns.

Back