• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anthony Grant fired

I don't necessarily disagree, but Grant was an assistant at Florida under Billy Donovan for 10 years. So, he had an extensive background of coaching in a large SEC school environment. Part of the problem for Grant or any coach at Alabama is that historically the only talent base where you have the chance to beat the power schools is for in-state and/or Mississippi talent. When Wimp had his run, Alabama and Missippi HS produced a lot elite talent (Ennis Whatley, Robert Horry, Derrick McKey, Mo Williams, Roy Rogers, Antonio McDyess, Gerald Wallace), over the past 6 years that area has not produced much elite basketball talent, and it's hard to win without the top talent.

This is true. That said, Grant and Billy have very different personalities. Billy has a big personality. Grant just doesn't. You combine that with the recruiting challenge you bring up that Grant had at Bama and that creates a good chunk of the mismatch.

I believe we lost to Alabama twice that year. Once early in the season @ their place (they were top 20). That might have been the games with Childress' "don't take me out coach, I'm hot!" quote. The other was 2nd round of NCAAs.

that was a really entertaining game

It was one of the best Wake games I've ever seen. So much talent on the court that day. I always wondered why Odom was so insistent on changing to his slowball style after those first couple of years. We had some great games that season.

I believe we lost to Alabama twice that year. Once early in the season @ their place (they were top 20). That might have been the games with Childress' "don't take me out coach, I'm hot!" quote. The other was 2nd round of NCAAs.

We beat Bama Odom's first year right before the holiday break when they were ranked. Then we tanked the ACC season.

We also beat Bama in a first round NIT game circa 1998 or so, I think. Game was at the Joel.

Edit: First round of the 1999 NIT. We lost to Xavier at home in round two. I was at both of those games. I vaguely recall Vidauretta having a big game against the Tide.

Last edited:
Back