• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody been to Iceland?

denverpacker

Reaction score
I am going to Reykjavik next weekend. I have 3 days free to check out Iceland. I have never been before and most likely will never go again, so I have one shot to hit it. I know we are going to do the geothermal Blue Lagoon one day, and maybe the geysers and waterfalls. Other than that, any must do places to see/eat/drink? I did note that they have sunlight for 20+ hours this time of the year, so that should be interesting.

Thanks for any help.

Denver.

I went to Iceland for a week in 2008 and loved it. I thought the Blue Lagoon was overrated, but I'm not big into spa stuff. It was pretty though.

Definitely go check out the waterfalls.

I did a number of daytrips via Reykjavik Excursions. I don't recall the specific trips we did, though I'm pretty sure the Golden Circle was one of them. The absolute best thing I did there was see the Aurora Borealis, but with the amount of daylight right now, I'm not sure you'll be able to do that. I went in late September/early October.

I had a fantastic dinner at Tapas Barinn. Definitely recommend that. Everything in the city was pretty expensive so I could only do one nice dinner, so this was a great way to try a number of dishes in the tapas style. I had puffin and whale, among other things. It looks like they have a specific Icelandic Gourmet menu choice. Then we also did very basic (and inexpensive!) lunch one day at a hot dog place called Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur. Pretty good!

From paging back through my digital photo album, I'll recap some of my favorite places outside the city. I also had fun wandering around Reykjavik itself.

Gullfoss waterfall:

2920505592_3ef2f165b8.jpg

Strokkur geyser:

2919661543_fd35abcd55.jpg

Thingvellir (Þingvellir) National Park:

2919662097_54919869d5.jpg

some history at Skógasafn (c. 1850):

2960276396_86bee91ede.jpg

Skogafoss waterfall:

2919663473_06b17ed411.jpg

Black sand beach and white snow, in Vík í Myrdal:

2920507956_20e53c3d29.jpg

Seljalandsfoss waterfall:

2919664627_a62770b89f.jpg

You could go behind Seljalandsfoss too:

2920509106_178a995e59.jpg

We also went out to the glacier tongue Sólheimajökull from the Mýrdalsjökull glacier, but the pictures I have online from that aren't great though it was pretty awesome to climb on a glacier.

I was at the airport.....nice sweaters at the shop inside.

Very hot women...lots of drinking and sex.

I brought a bottle of Brennivin home with me. It sure is a unique flavor! Worth trying... once.

denver what do you do for a living? you seem like you're always heading out to a pretty unique place for work.

denver what do you do for a living? you seem like you're always heading out to a pretty unique place for work.

Semi-retired. My wife is a flight attendant for Delta and only does international. (I robbed the cradle and way outkicked my coverage) Between her trips, our flying privileges, and my mileage stash from 25 years on the road, we see the world-literally. This Iceland trip is a 5 day trip for her, so it is free for me. We are very fortunate to be able to travel as we do...it is a passion of mine, hell, more like a vice.

Last edited:
Sólheimajökull Mýrdalsjökull

...how are these words? Nordic languages are so crazy to me. I guess english is pretty screwy too..but still. solheimajokull? i feel like i should say 'bless you!' and/or offer a tissue after hearing that.

Semi-retired. My wife is a flight attendant for Delta and only does international. (I robbed the cradle and way outkicked my coverage) Between her trips, our flying privileges, and my mileage stash from 25 years on the road, we see the world-literally. This Iceland trip is a 5 day trip for her, so it is free for me. We are very fortunate to be able to travel as we do...it is a passion of mine, hell, more like a vice.

...and this is pretty much amazing.

Yes, people go there all the time; they have a thriving tourism industry.

...how are these words? Nordic languages are so crazy to me. I guess english is pretty screwy too..but still. solheimajokull? i feel like i should say 'bless you!' and/or offer a tissue after hearing that.

I got a little language book for my trip so I could try to speak the native tongue, but it was just laughable trying to pronounce half of it when you got past some of the very basics.

Yes = Já
No = Nei
Thank you = Takk
Thank you very much = Takk fyrir
You're welcome = þú ert velkominn/Gerðu svo vel
Please = Vinsamlegast/Takk
Excuse me = Fyrirgefðu
Hello = Halló/Góðan daginn
Goodbye = Bless

I was all about some "takk" for thank you, and I still say that to my sister (who I took the trip with), but we settled on "takk back" instead of the phrase for you're welcome.

like with german, words are combinations of smaller words

Back