• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody been to Iceland?

Eat shark, it's not good though. Go to the Northern Lights, but it might be tough with 20 hours of daylight. Eat whale, it tastes like tuna.

Semi-retired. My wife is a flight attendant for Delta and only does international. (I robbed the cradle and way outkicked my coverage) Between her trips, our flying privileges, and my mileage stash from 25 years on the road, we see the world-literally. This Iceland trip is a 5 day trip for her, so it is free for me. We are very fortunate to be able to travel as we do...it is a passion of mine, hell, more like a vice.

Holy crap that's awesome. I'm calling you for a ride to all cross country state games from now on.

Semi-retired. My wife is a flight attendant for Delta and only does international. (I robbed the cradle and way outkicked my coverage) Between her trips, our flying privileges, and my mileage stash from 25 years on the road, we see the world-literally. This Iceland trip is a 5 day trip for her, so it is free for me. We are very fortunate to be able to travel as we do...it is a passion of mine, hell, more like a vice.

upon further thought... how does the 'buddy pass' thing work? ;)

upon further thought... how does the 'buddy pass' thing work? ;)[/QUOTE]

If you know the phrase "buddy pass" then you know how it works. :D

bth9673, if you pull for State, I might consider adding you to the flight manifest. Oh, and some single malt scotch really helps secure that first class seat!!

Denver

man ive done some great trips on buddy passes back in the day but had to give them up once i couldn't build in flex days anymore. seems like shit eventually got cray crowded with fellow free loaders (who all had better priority than me ftl)

Eat shark, it's not good though. Go to the Northern Lights, but it might be tough with 20 hours of daylight. Eat whale, it tastes like tuna.

No. If Andrew Zimmern cannot get it down, nobody can. And as most folks have surmised, wrong time of the year for Northern Lights.

I did lay awake in our hunting camp in Alaska one night with a bottle of Scotch and watched the sky absolutely light up. It is in the top 10 coolest things I have ever seen, and I have traveled the world.

man ive done some great trips on buddy passes back in the day but had to give them up once i couldn't build in flex days anymore. seems like shit eventually got cray crowded with fellow free loaders (who all had better priority than me ftl)

You speak the language. It is all about that.

Got to hang out with Bjork in Iceland it was interesting time.

upon further thought... how does the 'buddy pass' thing work? ;)[/QUOTE]

If you know the phrase "buddy pass" then you know how it works. :D

bth9673, if you pull for State, I might consider adding you to the flight manifest. Oh, and some single malt scotch really helps secure that first class seat!!

Denver

bsme from state, brah

I got a little language book for my trip so I could try to speak the native tongue, but it was just laughable trying to pronounce half of it when you got past some of the very basics.

Yes = Já
No = Nei
Thank you = Takk
Thank you very much = Takk fyrir
You're welcome = þú ert velkominn/Gerðu svo vel
Please = Vinsamlegast/Takk
Excuse me = Fyrirgefðu
Hello = Halló/Góðan daginn
Goodbye = Bless

I was all about some "takk" for thank you, and I still say that to my sister (who I took the trip with), but we settled on "takk back" instead of the phrase for you're welcome.

Ah, similar to Old English and Old Norse.

doing a stopover in Reykjavik on the way to Europe.... got 2 full days there. Thinking of taking day 1 to see Reykjavik and day 2 we are deciding between 1) whale watching/puffin watching boat tour or 2) renting a car and doing the golden circle tour to see the waterfalls and the continental plates. Leaning towards #2. Any recommendations?

doing a stopover in Reykjavik on the way to Europe.... got 2 full days there. Thinking of taking day 1 to see Reykjavik and day 2 we are deciding between 1) whale watching/puffin watching boat tour or 2) renting a car and doing the golden circle tour to see the waterfalls and the continental plates. Leaning towards #2. Any recommendations?

Pay one of the tour companies for the Golden Circle tour. Most of them are like 6 hours on comfortable buses, and you can just hang out and see the sites . You get plenty of time in each place. Worth it, I think, to not have to worry about renting a car. Lots of options available and not at all expensive.

Just curious, are you taking WOW air? They have $99 fares there. You have to time it right, and the return flight costs a bit more, but I've got Reykjavik in my sights. I've never been so I have nothing to add for you though.

Just curious, are you taking WOW air? They have $99 fares there. You have to time it right, and the return flight costs a bit more, but I've got Reykjavik in my sights. I've never been so I have nothing to add for you though.

We're not. Good ole Icelandair

Rent a car and go see the glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón). It's a solid drive from Reykjavic, but there's plenty to see on the Ring Road along the way.

y6ZoIAkZoIG1hzvdihXwqcTCvy-f6QzdLCFAD5u8ycC8mZ8I8O-FBBFpQ8zDQHutYbPIa8Sfh_U5UICyUQLvByqTBJCDhQ_4Pa4gJdp4IFPCqISLCOKE60nS9_PpdeL2ZFwuK4KXV693gFI9zZxwL6A4F4TY08NVCbq3huu0YOYUB17QEIrn_6e3mRVvAAMBRKzorbOG1SQncPUkc9bmQxaWD6am9f2elSr0MiK4u38xlHt0donLANkvyUMU6kIlBe56ZrTCxGGxkKbDPRKmD53e4bJMMSXWCFGVP4Dq3cxTHy20kw32tGoK_al3Lo0J9TgYTbXPUIzm2GtPvXObKL9JnIT9VPs2NHM6h5CvMo_Q3hmhvZk5SKUVSxDx8rcedjR9byI2MD3q7NrUwMPWS4BxTjhcerGTNq7M1MqkwNkVEDUbAGm-X1VrSObF03NUdDrIyEHYfKbFWJscSlTiRNVqISvlw8laxc2wAYvNNS23WZFQasKeQhEc83aQYkTzsRm5UhsMiC7xt-tASg5BmWU6j1ty3Ec-JCn8RpGuWj3MqR50ZzHsa58izWKskxFp_HNb=w1263-h947-no

We're not. Good ole Icelandair

I couldn't fly WOW I don't think. Every time we'd take off, I can only imagine the pilots saying to each other "Wow", and that is quite frightening.

Back