• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody watch the State of the Union????

if only california had shot glasses

khaaaan.jpg

I didn't watch it, but read through his speech. I did stop reading, though, when he said this:

"If we are serious about economic growth, it is time to heed the call of business leaders, labor leaders, faith leaders, and law enforcement – and fix our broken immigration system."

Faith leaders and law enforcement don't have anything to do with economic growth whatsoever. None. And really, it's 2014 not 1920. If he were discussing high-skilled immigrants then I would be on board, but he's not clearly, when he mentions law enforcement and faith leaders. He's talking illegal immigration, something of which has very, very, very little to do with real economic expansion in the US today.

And I wonder why those immigrant-founded startups that used to be flodding the US are now picking other countries to set up shop...oh yeah, that's right that whole second highest corporate tax rate in the world thing.

Not really a staunch liberal or conservative, but I think he's arrogant and fucked up a lot in 2013. I would love it if he would just admit to his shortcomings and move on down the highway. Unfortunately, all he seems to do is pound his chest and point fingers when he gets on the world stage.

I didn't watch it, but read through his speech. I did stop reading, though, when he said this:

"If we are serious about economic growth, it is time to heed the call of business leaders, labor leaders, faith leaders, and law enforcement – and fix our broken immigration system."

Faith leaders and law enforcement don't have anything to do with economic growth whatsoever. None. And really, it's 2014 not 1920. If he were discussing high-skilled immigrants then I would be on board, but he's not clearly, when he mentions law enforcement and faith leaders. He's talking illegal immigration, something of which has very, very, very little to do with real economic expansion in the US today.

And I wonder why those immigrant-founded startups that used to be flodding the US are now picking other countries to set up shop...oh yeah, that's right that whole second highest corporate tax rate in the world thing.

Not really a staunch liberal or conservative, but I think he's arrogant and fucked up a lot in 2013. I would love it if he would just admit to his shortcomings and move on down the highway. Unfortunately, all he seems to do is pound his chest and point fingers when he gets on the world stage.

So, was this your first time reading a SOTU address, or ...

better question: did anyone watch the rebuttal?

Cathy McMorris Rodgers is kinda hot for a congressperson

Her rebuttal was basically just her giving her own biography in a way that sounded like a self-congratulatory facebook post.

As far as Obama's speech, it was pretty forgettable.

So, was this your first time reading a SOTU address, or ...

Obviously not. Just kind of highlighting how frustrating it is to read through all of the bullshit which helps explain why so many people don't bother to watch anymore.

I thought it was hilarious that Republicans put up an attractive woman in a short blue dress sitting on a couch to do the response.

I thought it was hilarious that Republicans put up an attractive woman in a short blue dress sitting on a couch to do the response.

literally looks like someone's wife talking from their southern living room

literally looks like someone's wife talking from their southern living room

Yeah. She does have an impressive story. She started a family while in elected office including giving birth to 3 kids.

Yeah. She does have an impressive story. She started a family while in elected office including giving birth to 3 kids.

Some things should be done in the privacy of a bedroom and a delivery room at a hospital.

but too good to even stand up to talk to the american public? typical GOP

I just realized that I said exactly the same thing as the OP in the same thread. Oops.

Yes, watched it. Better speaker than Bush, not close to Clinton. No big proposals. I think he is all in on ACA and not opening any new fronts.

The guy is hamstrung, so it's hard to really lay out a rah-rah plan for the future. "Welp, we can't get anything done in Congress, so I'm going to do what I can by myself" is not compelling. Here's to hoping that there's enough of a backlash to this obstructionist nonsense via Tea Party donks in the midterms and we can get back to business attempting to solve problems. Out of the polar fears raised by each side, I'd rather try new things and fail and learn from that than fail by doing nothing at all.

Back