• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone else notice Gyms and Sidewalks packed this weekend?

We joined the local Y yesterday and it was a clusterfuck when we got there with overflow parking. We have a neighborhood gym that we pay for in our rent, but over the past several mos. a lot of equipment has become broken and they don't fix it. So we gave up and were waiting on January when the Y does the greatly reduced joiners fee. I know we'll have to wait a month before it calms down but I'll deal with it for the nicer gym and workout classes.

We joined the local Y yesterday and it was a clusterfuck when we got there with overflow parking. We have a neighborhood gym that we pay for in our rent, but over the past several mos. a lot of equipment has become broken and they don't fix it. So we gave up and were waiting on January when the Y does the greatly reduced joiners fee. I know we'll have to wait a month before it calms down but I'll deal with it for the nicer gym and workout classes.

Usually March brings a reduction in the crowds. Jan-Feb has New Year's Resolutioners + Basketball + Runners/walkers/cyclists running from the cold.

Usually March brings a reduction in the crowds. Jan-Feb has New Year's Resolutioners + Basketball + Runners/walkers/cyclists running from the cold.

I'll take it. It's better than the situation we had 2 days ago with the neighborhood gym. It has 2 ellipticals, 1 bike, and 4 treadmills. The only piece operable was a treadmill.

and they will go back to normal after Valentine's Day...like usual..

Reactions: ITK
ive found most cant even make it to the end of january

i'm thankful that the kind of run-down gym i go to is less than a mile away from a shiny new 24hr fitness, so most of the resolutioners went to 24hr fitness. no noticeable spike for me (at least not at the times i go).

i'm thankful that the kind of run-down gym i go to is less than a mile away from a shiny new 24hr fitness, so most of the resolutioners went to 24hr fitness. no noticeable spike for me (at least not at the times i go).

I used to have a place like that before I moved. It is so awesome having the run of the place, and for the most part, the people remaining aren't the roid pumping meat heads.

Jan 1:
crowded-gym.jpg

Feb 1:
693-03564856w.jpg

and they will go back to normal after Valentine's Day...like usual..

Yep. The Resolutioners are obnoxious, but they'll be gone soon enough. Then it'll be back to the roiders and trophy wives.

Only 7 people in my 6 am barre class this morning.
5 regulars, 2 newbies.

Only 7 people in my 6 am barre class this morning.
5 regulars, 2 newbies.

i wonder what the class at [normal time of day] looks like.

(says the girl who goes to swim/bike sessions at 6am 4 days a week)

i go to a class on monday nights that is packed no matter what week of the year it is. should be interesting trying to find space tonight.

but regardless, i'm glad the resolutioners are trying to be more healthy. i hope they can keep it up.

The idea of a resolution is silly. Be healthy today and tomorrow and the next day.

The idea of a resolution is silly. Be healthy today and tomorrow and the next day.

Never works that way, though. I'd be curious to know how many people pay for gym memberships that they don't end up using.

I've decided to mix in the Insanity workout with my regular weights and basketball routine. I watched the videos on Sunday to get an idea how they go...I'm preparing to hate my body for the next few weeks.

Never works that way, though. I'd be curious to know how many people pay for gym memberships that they don't end up using.

I've decided to mix in the Insanity workout with my regular weights and basketball routine. I watched the videos on Sunday to get an idea how they go...I'm preparing to hate my body for the next few weeks.

I think for most people that is exactly how it works. I remember reading and article that like 50% of people never even attempt their new year's resolution because they set such a high standard and most of the other 50% burn out. The most in shape people I know don't set dates on which to start programs, start exercising etc. unless it is a training program for a race. They just go do it.

Most gyms build their businesses on selling long term memberships rather than on providing services. Most places bank on this.

When I worked at the Y, Resolutioners were a huge part of our annual budget. Our Membership Director's budget was made or broken within the first 6-8 weeks of the year. Most of these new memberships don't stick, but I saw some pretty awesome stories of people getting control of their lives and getting healthy.

I started running while working there, but got horribly out of shape again. Since I left, I started training for some races, and I have kept up my lifestyle for nearly a year now. Running a half marathon in March.

People need different motivations. I've found that I am much less focused on exercise without a specific program or goal in sight. I get bored otherwise.

Back