• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone have an aquarium at home?

DrummerDeac

Reaction score
I just got a small (3.5 gallon) tank and put 3 glofish (fluorescent zebra danios) in it. They are awesome and I already want to upgrade to a bigger tank so I can get some small catfish and african dwarf frogs eventually.

Anyone else on the quad have an aquarium? What do you have in it?

prnphotos074580-GEORGIA-AQUARIUM-MA-744269.jpg

Here's a photo of the aquarium at my house.

I have a little plastic one that holds about two cups of water. It used to have two frogs in it. Now it has one frog in it.

I have a little plastic one that holds about two cups of water. It used to have two frogs in it. Now it has one frog in it.

Lol... I've only ever had goldfish (when I was younger) so I have no idea what I'm doing with tropical fish. I've already killed my first few, I think because I got an algae eater from another shop where the water might have been contaminated.

My sister is already worried that I'm going to become a weird fish person. So that's cool. I can't help but want to add frogs though... they look so awesome!

We have a 36 gallon tank. We have two guppies that mated and had about 5 frys that are pretty big now. We have one Varietus platy, one red wag platy, one Mickey Mouse platy, two Mollies (female Molly just had 2 frys) and 3 tetras. On top of that we had a few small snails that apparently stowed away in some aquatic plants but they were recently eaten by the other fish.

We have a 36 gallon tank. We have two guppies that mated and had about 5 frys that are pretty big now. We have one Varietus platy, one red wag platy, one Mickey Mouse platy, two Mollies (female Molly just had 2 frys) and 3 tetras. On top of that we had a few small snails that apparently stowed away in some aquatic plants but they were recently eaten by the other fish.

Were you trying to mate them, or did it just happen? That's pretty cool.

African Dwarf frogs suck. They constantly jump out of the cage, and unless you are there they die. Neon tetras are awesome.

Were you trying to mate them, or did it just happen? That's pretty cool.

It just happened. Same thing with the Mollies. The female Molly already had 2 frys but she is still HUGE. Don't know if we're overfeeding them or if she's ready to drop some more. I figure our tank can hold it for now. The neon tetras are really cool looking too.

Lol... I've only ever had goldfish (when I was younger) so I have no idea what I'm doing with tropical fish. I've already killed my first few, I think because I got an algae eater from another shop where the water might have been contaminated.

My sister is already worried that I'm going to become a weird fish person. So that's cool. I can't help but want to add frogs though... they look so awesome!

My guess is you didn't cycle the tank properly.

I had a 20 gallon and 35 gallon for a few years in college. Had a couple of jack dempsey's for a while.

Just killed off the last of the guppies we had back in Winston. The tank sure is easier to clean with no fish in it.

we have a 10 gallon tank. Right now it has an algae eater that is a boss because I don't really have to clean the tank anymore, he and the little catfish do all the work and I change the filter when I feel like it. Also one guppy and one transparent "ghost catfish" that my son wanted but is stupid because all it does is hide behind the filter. We're about to get some guppy fry from someone that has too many.

We had some Gouramis for a long time that were very active, pretty, and durable. One of them finally committed hari kari by lodging his head behind the heater :)rulz:) and the other died of a broken heart soon after.

My guess is you didn't cycle the tank properly.

I had a 20 gallon and 35 gallon for a few years in college. Had a couple of jack dempsey's for a while.

Yeah that's what I would have thought, but I tested the water and everything was okay. They literally just all died overnight, without looking stressed at all beforehand or anything.

We had gotten 3 glofish from one pet store and an algae eater from another store, and the store where we got the algae eater had a lot of dead fish in the tanks. Red flag, I know. But other than cycling (even though the water tested fine), the only thing we could think of was that the algae eater's water was dirty.

Also, this morning I checked on the fish and my green glofish is at the bottom of the tank. :( He's still breathing but he's obviously not doing well. Again, water tests fine so I guess he might just be stressed with the new tank.

Bojangle, didn't you let your fish (was it a jack dempsey?) eat a poor little unsuspecting non-fighter fish? :rulz:

we have a 10 gallon tank. Right now it has an algae eater that is a boss because I don't really have to clean the tank anymore, he and the little catfish do all the work and I change the filter when I feel like it. Also one guppy and one transparent "ghost catfish" that my son wanted but is stupid because all it does is hide behind the filter. We're about to get some guppy fry from someone that has too many.

We had some Gouramis for a long time that were very active, pretty, and durable. One of them finally committed hari kari by lodging his head behind the heater :)rulz:) and the other died of a broken heart soon after.

Is it an albino catfish? I saw some of those in the shop... weird looking little guys!

They called it a "ghost catfish" where we bought it but that's just a marketing name I'm sure. It is totally see thru, i.e. you can see all its little bones and internal organs. I don't think it is "albino". Either way, it is lame as hell. We've had it 6 months and all it does is sit totally still in the shadow under the filter. The only way I know it is alive is that it doesn't rot and occasionally I see it come out to eat one bite of food.

Whoa, that's cool. Maybe he needs some friends (other ghost catfish)? I read that certain catfish like to be in groups of 3 and will be really active then, but if they are the lone guy they are very shy and still and hide a lot.

Obviously I know nothing though.

we cycled our tank before we put fish in it but even then, all of our tetras died as well as a couple of octocichlids and one of our platys. I think the tank takes a while to adjust, and since then all of our tetras, guppies, mollies, have been just fine.

African Dwarf frogs suck. They constantly jump out of the cage, and unless you are there they die. Neon tetras are awesome.

I have African dwarf frogs and haven't had any trouble with them trying to escape. They are really cute and they always get so animated when they see me. And they do that funny floating thing. They have much more of a personality than fish.

Back