• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone have an X5?

Slopes

Reaction score
Thoughts on this vehicle or comparable other SUVs? Will probably be looking for something in the 2007-2010 range.

I had a 2004 X5 4.4, sold it last year after the CPO ended. I loved that truck, but I am pretty sure they changed the model in 2006. Drives great, has the feel of a truck, not a wheenie car-based SUV. Gas mileage was rough, 14-15, but I drove probably 65% city / 35% highway.

The only issue I had was that withing 2 months of my CPO ending, I had $1200 in things I had to fix. Only big issue I had in 3 years (and they may have fixed them by now though) is the rear stabilizer - it has some bug in it where it will claim to be going bad, but doesn't. I took it in twice for that, was told it was a common problem. With most luxury cars, you only have to take it in once per year, and until the regular warranty runs out, it is free, then the annual CPO checks are $50. But, I had the car for almost 4 years and I had it in the shop at least 2-3 times per year - they are very quick and easily give out loaners or give you rides, and it can be an inconvenience, but was worth it.

Thanks, that is good info. I have a BMW now that just came off the CPO, and that is a big issue for me. Right now I'm waiting for a callback from the service advisor for an oil leak, and I fear a clutch replacement is not too far down the line. I love the car, but prefer to have a warranty as BMW repairs are always expensive. Plus, while not as fun to drive as the car, the X5 would be a much more practical vehicle.

I had a 2004 X5 4.4, sold it last year after the CPO ended. I loved that truck, but I am pretty sure they changed the model in 2006. Drives great, has the feel of a truck, not a wheenie car-based SUV. Gas mileage was rough, 14-15, but I drove probably 65% city / 35% highway.
Facepalm
I do agree that is does not drive like a car-chassis-based SUV, but it is not a truck by any stretch of the word.

Yeah, any man card is immediately revoked by calling an X5 a truck at any point in time.

My wife has an 2010 X3M that hauls ass, handles great, and is extremely fun to drive. I drove an X5 for a little bit, but I didn't like it because it doesn't have the sportscar feel of a BMW and you wouldn't actually use it for any truck purposes. I've got a Chevy for that; the BMW is the mom-mobile that can be used on family trips.

My wife had one six years ago and we loved it. She still says it was her favorite car despite me going through four different Cayennes since then.

if you want a high-end vehicle with a little cargo space, just get one of these:

ferrari-ff.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/first/revealed!-the-2012-ferrari-ff

I'm open to Cayenne if you are looking to get rid of another one DSD.

On a side note, I just got back from the dealership and they refused to give me a loaner car. Because my license is expired. Does GA not send you a notification that your license is expiring?

Get one of these instead...

audi-s4-avant_1.jpg

OOOO...I am currently debating between this or the Audi Q7. Stationwagon or SUV??? I'm young and live in Germany right now and both look sexy on the freaking autobahn. And, yes I AM young but for some reason I think the Auid station wagons are cool and very practical. I want a nice vehicle that can haul things and that i can throw skis/bike on the top of.

Decisions....

But the Audi wagons are SOOOOOOO much more fun to drive than the Q7. I have an S4 Avant and it absolutely shreds. Plus it's big enough that I can haul around tons of crap and it's all-wheel drive so I can drive it up into the mountains during ski season and into the backcountry during hiking season. Such a versatile car, and it looks great to boot.

Back