• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone have contacts in Chile?

Wife and I just planned a Mendoza/Santiago trip last night. I've been to Santiago 3 times and she's been once. If we only have 3 or 4 nights in Chile how many should we spend in Valpo vs Santiago? All of them? None and just go as a day trip?

Definitely go to Valaparaiso. It's a perfect day-trip from Santiago. I can't recommend Free Tour Valparaiso enough. As the name implies, it's a free walking tour led by a (typically younger) native guide that meets a few times daily at a central spot in the center of town. You walk all around the historic quarter, with your guide explaining the art, history, and culture of the city as you go. Not only is it informative, but certain sections of Valpo can be just a bit dicey. So, walking with a guide and in a large group is a good way to avoid petty crime.

Another vote to go to Valpo and another vote for the free tour. I wasn't too crazy about Santiago, but I did get my bag stolen there so it probably soured my experience in the city a good bit.

Wife and I just planned a Mendoza/Santiago trip last night. I've been to Santiago 3 times and she's been once. If we only have 3 or 4 nights in Chile how many should we spend in Valpo vs Santiago? All of them? None and just go as a day trip?

When are you going? We might be going over New Years.

Mid-December

We'll miss you by a few weeks. Mrs. Birdman has friends down south so we are thinking of flying to Santiago and driving 12 hours south. Seems like a good way to see lots of the country. I also want to do a lot of bird watching.

We'll miss you by a few weeks. Mrs. Birdman has friends down south so we are thinking of flying to Santiago and driving 12 hours south. Seems like a good way to see lots of the country. I also want to do a lot of bird watching.

Never been south of Santiago, but we may go about 4 hours south on this trip (for to drink wine). I've been about 400 km north/northeast.

Slept on this dirty bed (covered in black hair)

1935525_1112568488519_3640875_n.jpg

In this shack

1936881_1112562448368_3190335_n.jpg

With this view

1936881_1112562168361_7079499_n.jpg

Me and 10 copper miners who didn't speak english. But they had lots of wine and knew how to grill. So it was pretty cool.

Never been south of Santiago, but we may go about 4 hours south on this trip (for to drink wine). I've been about 400 km north/northeast.

Slept on this dirty bed (covered in black hair)

1935525_1112568488519_3640875_n.jpg

In this shack

1936881_1112562448368_3190335_n.jpg

With this view

1936881_1112562168361_7079499_n.jpg

Me and 10 copper miners who didn't speak english. But they had lots of wine and knew how to grill. So it was pretty cool.

Whoa. Looks rustic. Right up your alley. The wife's friends live in Lago Ranco, They are vets at some sort of fancy horse farm, probably a little upscale from the mining hut. How the hell did you end up in a mining hut anyway? Important clients?

Yeah, mining company client. It was pretty cool though. And I've got a friend from law school who lives in Santiago, so I was able to hang out with him for a couple of days for free, so that made it even better.

A dope day trip from Santiago is Cajon del Maipo and the San Francisco glacier.

Nah, way way south of Atacama. This was in Matancilla (maybe 30-45 mins north east of Illapel)

Anyone have any recommendations on vineyards close to Santiago or Valpo?

So looks like we are going to be in Valpo for 3 nights. Any recs on areas of the city to stay in?

Been ten years since I was there, but it's not a very big place. I think a cool Airbnb up in the hills would be sweet. Cerro Concepcion or Cerro Bellavista, perhaps.

I'm finding some pretty awesome looking places in the hills. There's one I'm digging near Parque Cultural Valpo

Didn't make it to Valpo, but absolutely loved Chile. Portillo in the Andes was world class, even with a light snow year for skiing. Santiago was much bigger and cooler than expected.

I'm not really a big wine guy, but we went to 6 different vineyards which were all great. The Casablanca valley is about halfway between Santiago and Valpo and had a lot of awesome smaller, more local vineyards. Emiliana and Bodegas RE were our two favorites.

Back