• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone interested in doing a RJK Political Asylum Book Club?

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
I think this would be a good idea but only if a lot of people, with varying opinions would participate.

I picked up Juan Williams' "Muzzled" from Boarders during their fire sale a few months ago. I am just now getting around to reading it and I thought it would be cool to get others feedback on it.

Just a thought.

Reading Triumph of the City right now (Christmas present). Pretty easy reading, though I think a lot of the points are underdeveloped and it's a little pop-ish for my tastes. But I agree with most of what Glaeser says and am enjoying it.

If you're looking for a book with a lot of political commentary, might I recommend Clancy's latest episode in the Jack Ryan story, LOCKED ON. Holy cow do the political gloves come off in that one.

On the recommendation of a friend, I have been intending to read "Race Matters" by Cornel West since 1992 or 1993. That seems odd, since the Amazon is showing a 1994 publication date but I know he mentioned it to me before 1994. At the latest, I will read it by the 20th anniversary of his recommendation. Seems like a good counter point to "The Content of our Character" by Shelby Steele, which came our a few years earlier.

Given the thread's and book club's namesake, I assume we wouldn't have to actually have read the book before posting comments.

:rofl:

Shorty got loose...and posrep.

I'm in, if we avoid blantantly political screeds. I'm looking at you, Ann Coulter.

I don't read, so no.

Actually, I love to read, but find that I get so into reading that it makes me stay up too late, etc...

I'm not a big political book guy, but I would recommend Inside Gitmo if you all opt to do a book club. Well researched and written by a dude who is on the up and up.

I'm in, if we avoid blantantly political screeds. I'm looking at you, Ann Coulter.

I actually think even Ann Coulter could be a good book to discuss if the many intelligent people that disagree with her would read and participate. It would be fun to see them go after her. One of my main problems with political discourse in this country is that the political pundits pick the choir and then turn around a preach to them. There is no real engagement. That is why I like this forum so much.

I actually think even Ann Coulter could be a good book to discuss if the many intelligent people that disagree with her would read and participate. It would be fun to see them go after her. One of my main problems with political discourse in this country is that the political pundits pick the choir and then turn around a preach to them. There is no real engagement. That is why I like this forum so much.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to come up with a way of reading an Ann Coulter book that doesn't involve 1) buying one 2) letting other people (librarians or friends) know I'm reading one.

Her books are not about engagement. Her entire career is about tearing Americans apart and being the biggest lying, asshole bitch in the country.

Plus as Tuffalo says most Americans would not want to do anything that would enrich her.

Plus as Tuffalo says most Americans would not want to do anything that would enrich her.

Yep. It's even possible that just renting the book from the library could increase its circulation and lead the library to order more copies. No such thing as a free lunch.

Her books are not about engagement. Her entire career is about tearing Americans apart and being the biggest lying, asshole bitch in the country.

That's okay, RJ. You'll always be a close second. Can't win 'em all.

We can all start by talking shit about Irish's book.

We should actually do a Wake Forest book every now and then to break up the political element.

books with Wake Forest ties--

RJ's book

Irish's Kaboom book

and a book called The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History, which is written by a fellow Deac and fraternity brother.

I thought Irish's book was really good, but I'm not sure what exactly he'd prefer civilians to do. Great read, though, and I much prefer it to trying to talk to my cousin about any facet of the war.

Back