• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anything I shouldn't miss in Minneapolis (or Austin)?

ChicdeaC

Reaction score
Headed to Minneapolis next week and Austin next month. Should have some free time (though less in Minneapolis than likely in Austin). Anything I should see? Planning to hit the Mall of America so that I can look for some birthday gifts for E at the Nickelodeon World and someone mentioned sea salt and caramel ice cream...(can't remember where)

Have breakfast at The Bad Waitress one day. Awesome food. As far as must see, I couldn't tell you exactly. I've spent almost all of my time in St. Paul than Minneapolis when I visit MN.

Minneapolis:

22027473_3deb9d9e02-[gadling].jpg

Austin is one of my favorite cities anywhere. So many great restaurants and neighborhoods. Love the Hill Country landscape. I am jealous.

Austin is a great city. There is so much to do there and see, just wander around. It's fairly small and pedestrian friendly, especially around downtown. Honestly, you really can't go wrong while there.

I LOVE Minneapolis. Did a show there a few years ago and had the best time, even though it was late winter/early spring. You should definitely go check out the Guthrie - even if you don't see a show there, they have a bunch of bars and restaurants and it's just generally a cool place to hang out.

Mall of America is pretty impressive - you can smell the commerce in the air. My favorite restaurant there was a place called Hell's Kitchen, which is more of a breakfast joint. I also really liked a place called Chino Latino.

I've only been to Austin once. I had BBQ at the Salt Lick, which was INCREDIBLE. I ate way too much. Definitely worth the drive.

In Austin a favorite of mine is Ranch 616 on Nueces St, about a block off 6th I think. It's been seven or eight years since I was there but if it's still as good it's worth a visit. Like somebody else said you really can't go wrong. Though generally you want to avoid the areas east of I-35 downtown. Stick to the west side of town.

Thanks for the insinuation that I'm racist, but that's really not what I was getting at. If I had only a little time to spend in Austin I would not spend it in that particular area.

Thanks for the insinuation that I'm racist, but that's really not what I was getting at. If I had only a little time to spend in Austin I would not spend it in that particular area.

Austin say is one of the most segregated cities in the entire USA. I used to spend 6-10 weeks a year there, and I love it - but attitudes like "don't cross the interstate" are a big problem.

Great piece recently on this - Austin still basically institutionalizes the split and it is a huge issue.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/what-nobody-says-about-austin

I have visited several times and spent time on the east side of town so I know what you're saying. Actually one of my favorite memories from Austin is attending an all-black church service on the east side. A little kid about six years old randomly came up and sat on my lap for most of the service. Probably the only white guy he'd ever seen at his church.

In Austin a favorite of mine is Ranch 616 on Nueces St, about a block off 6th I think. It's been seven or eight years since I was there but if it's still as good it's worth a visit. Like somebody else said you really can't go wrong. Though generally you want to avoid the areas east of I-35 downtown. Stick to the west side of town.

I second the Ranch 616 nomination. I fly down to visit with my best friend from college once a year, and that's the best restaurant I've been to there. The Salt Lick is great, as long as you go to the original 1 like 30 minutes SW of town (and if you're young and are going to eat huge portions). I went to the 1 up in Round Rock last year, and it wasn't nearly as good. I'm also a big fan of Rudy's if you're in the mood for some nice moist brisket for lunch. There are 3-4 locations around town, and you won't have to deal with Franklin's long waits.

Though generally you want to avoid the areas east of I-35 downtown. Stick to the west side of town.

Yuppies off the East Side!

Austin say is one of the most segregated cities in the entire USA. I used to spend 6-10 weeks a year there, and I love it - but attitudes like "don't cross the interstate" are a big problem.

Winston-Salem is so much more segregated.

I live way east of '35, and things are pretty awesome over here.

Chic, Matt stood me up in London a couple of years ago, so I'll give you a tour of the Uni and buy you beers if you've got an evening free.

I should definitely have a night free for beers. You can blame the French for Matt standing you up (the air traffic controllers were on strike)

Order the gifts online and look around downtown Minneapolis. Tons of great restaurants and a vibrant patio bar scene.

Some recommendations from when I was going to Austin regularly (all food related):

Easy Tiger
Bangers
Rudy's (liked it better than Salt Lick)
The Salt Lick (it's fun to go once)
Perla's
Elizabeth Street Cafe
Foreign & Domestic
Whip In Convenience Store & Pub
Polvo's Mexican Food
Second Bar + Kitchen
La Condesa
Contigo Austin
Clay Pit
G'Raj Mahal Cafe (BYOB)
Amy's Ice Cream
Uchiko (one of the best meals of my life)

I really enjoyed walking around South Congress and the 6th Street area. There is some cool stuff going down on East 6th (East Side Kings), from what I've read, but I just never made it that way. I miss going to Austin - such a great town.

+10000000000 on the Clay Pit. Raleigh has terrible Indian food compared to that place.

Also +1 on Perla's

Uchi and Uchiko def have to be on there.
Foreign and Domestic is awesome
Texas Chili Parlor is great if you want to get drunk for cheap- order Magnum
Parkside is really good too

Number one thing I hate about being married is I don't get to travel to Austin to visit my wife anymore. Def hated the distance, but man I loved going to Austin.

hook-em-horns-horns-up-keep-calm-longhorns-Favim.com-323656.jpg

Last edited:
Nye's Polonaise Room in Minneapolis (http://www.nyespolonaise.com). Understandably I was really dubious about a "polka bar", but we went and had a blast. Definitely off the wall, but kinda like being in a episode of "Twin Peaks" while having a few pops.

Lots of good BBQ in Austin, but Kreuz Market in Lockhart (half hour South of Austin) is the best Texas BBQ I've ever had. Definitely old school: no frills and you pay by how much your 'cue weighs. The Driskill is an awesome place to stay, and has a cool bar and great breakfast.

Back