• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anything I shouldn't miss in Minneapolis (or Austin)?

Nye's Polonaise Room in Minneapolis (http://www.nyespolonaise.com). Understandably I was really dubious about a "polka bar", but we went and had a blast. Definitely off the wall, but kinda like being in a episode of "Twin Peaks" while having a few pops.

Lots of good BBQ in Austin, but Kreuz Market in Lockhart (half hour South of Austin) is the best Texas BBQ I've ever had. Definitely old school: no frills and you pay by how much your 'cue weighs. The Driskill is an awesome place to stay, and has a cool bar and great breakfast.

Keep going to Luling for the best BBQ.

The Smitty's vs. Kreuz's debate is one of the biggest BBQ rivalries in Texas. Worth hitting up both of those in Lockhart.

I have visited several times and spent time on the east side of town so I know what you're saying. Actually one of my favorite memories from Austin is attending an all-black church service on the east side. A little kid about six years old randomly came up and sat on my lap for most of the service. Probably the only white guy he'd ever seen at his church.

Some of your best friends are probably black.

It is funny to see white people talk about that one time they were the only white person somewhere.

It is funny to see white people talk about that one time they were the only white person somewhere.

there are so many inappropriately hilarious responses to this

Ping's Szechuan Grill in Minneapolis is pretty good asian food. Used to go there before every North Stars game when I lived there.

Bump, because I will be in Austin next week. Staying in the Arboretum area, what do I eat, pit?

Bump, because I will be in Austin next week. Staying in the Arboretum area, what do I eat, pit?

Places I liked to go when I traveled to Austin:

Banger's
Rudy's BBQ
Salt Lick
Elizabeth Street Cafe
Polvo's
Perla's
Foreign & Domestic
Contigo
La Condesa
Uchiko (one of the best meals of my life)
Hopdoddy's
Clay Pit
Whip In
G'Raj Mahal
Easy Tiger

There's a couple staples in the Arboretum area. I can think of Chuy's and Rudy's BBQ off the top of my head. If you venture to the south side of town my personal faves are Baby A's for mexican (margaritas), Home Slice for pizza (if you can stand a crowd), Magnolia Cafe if you want some great diner food... if you can stand one really unhealthy meal, Lucy's Fried Chicken on South Congress is to die for... if you like beer and pub food, Black Star Co-op Brewery is on the north side of town a little closer to where you're staying, they serve a nice variety of tasty seasonal beers brewed on site and really good food...

You almost can't have a bad meal out in Austin if you avoid chain restaurants, which isn't very difficult.

I'm usually the only white dude around erry where I be at. Also going to Austin next month like a boss for some SHIT

Rubbins, when you gonna be there bro? If I'm down there by then I need to buy you a beer so I can figure out how to get in THE GAME.

Back