• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apartment Hunting in DC

AnonymousDeac

Reaction score
I am going to be moving to DC and am looking for a place to live. My office is in Arlington (10th st) though I'll predominantly be working on site in the city so am looking for a place in or near Arlington.

I am 22 and looking for an area that is walking distance to the Metro and a good place for young professionals.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Court House is popular. I know a ton of people that live there n

This really depends on the type of person you are. I lived in Arlington last year when I first got my job in DC. My actual "neighborhood" was Rosslyn. I found Arlington was convenient and fun, but had zero soul. If you are going to be in ballston/arlington area for work, I would suggest doing your due dilligence in that area, but also looking along the orange line in the city.

Even if you lived in Eastern market or Capitol hill on the other side of town, the Metro could get you to work in less than 30 minutes if you wanted a city living experience. If you would rather have the slightly more highrise suburban feel, Arlington is DEFINITELY your best bet.

Clarendon is probably the most happening place in Arlington right now, but it's really expensive. A friend from Wake (naive, rich girl) just signed for a $2100 studio right near the Metro there. Silly girl, that price is not typical, but an example of how bad it can get. But Clarendon has really grown as a place to go out since I've been here, and sadly several places charge cover there now.

Ballston is a little further out, but a cheaper place to live. You can also find cheaper places in the Courthouse/Clarendon area if you're willing to walk 20 mins or so to the Metro.

Finding other people to live with in row houses makes it cheaper, especially in the city. I want to live somewhere in the Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant/U St./Adams Morgan broad area when I move.

I currently live in Van Ness, which is alright, close to the Metro and Cleveland Park, which has some solid bars. The Metro takes me to places to go out pretty easily. Plus its close to where I work in Friendship Heights.

There are a ton of different choices really, and it all depends on how much you value closeness to the Metro, closeness to work, closeness to happy hour, and general neighborhood feel.

I'm sure the other DC guys will comment on this thread, but what else are you looking for in a place to live or a neighborhood?

Need to bee near lots of shops or near quick access to transportation? Close to trails and open space or nightlife?

Yea sounds like Court House/Clarendon area will be what you're looking for if you want to be in Virginia.

My wife and I just rented an apartment between Woodley Park and Cleveland Park in NW D.C. that we're pretty excited about.

If you don't know the city, which was the case for my wife and I, I'd encourage you to take a trip up there just to look at different neighborhood options, not necessarily even specific apartments/condos. We went up there thinking there was a good chance we'd want to be in that Clarendon/Court House area, but ended up liking the Dupont/Woodley/Cleveland stretch a lot more.

One thing that made our situation was different is that we're both going into client-serving jobs which will have us at client sites that could be on opposite sides of the metro area from one month to the next. So we were able to pick more on what we liked than what was most convenient.

Yea sounds like Court House/Clarendon area will be what you're looking for if you want to be in Virginia.

My wife and I just rented an apartment between Woodley Park and Cleveland Park in NW D.C. that we're pretty excited about.

If you don't know the city, which was the case for my wife and I, I'd encourage you to take a trip up there just to look at different neighborhood options, not necessarily even specific apartments/condos. We went up there thinking there was a good chance we'd want to be in that Clarendon/Court House area, but ended up liking the Dupont/Woodley/Cleveland stretch a lot more.

One thing that made our situation was different is that we're both going into client-serving jobs which will have us at client sites that could be on opposite sides of the metro area from one month to the next. So we were able to pick more on what we liked than what was most convenient.

You guys are really going to like that area. Not far from where I am currently.

Just walked through the stretch between Van ness and Woodley park a few weeks ago. I was shocked at all of the nice places I had never seen before. Definitely one of the nicer more residential type spots in the city without being too far from anything.

I'm sure the other DC guys will comment on this thread, but what else are you looking for in a place to live or a neighborhood?

Need to bee near lots of shops or near quick access to transportation? Close to trails and open space or nightlife?

Not sure of the exact term, but I am looking to live in a apartment/condo type riser building. Most important is probably how close it is to the metro, with nightlife being a close second.

I will have a car but prefer to just use the metro for work or going out at night.

Also, pos rep for all. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Yea, sounds like Arlington is where you want to start. Definitely some nice buildings with ample amenities.

What is your price range and will you have a roommate?

I know several people who live in Ballston who like it there. One of my friends rents a house near Crystal City and commutes to Georgetown Law for school.

Van Ness/Cleveland Park/Woodley Park is a nice area with some high rise type housing along Connecticut Ave. with good restaurants close by and in a good location for grocery shopping and parks. Metro to Arlington would probably take 20 to 30 minutes.

What is your price range and will you have a roommate?

I know several people who live in Ballston who like it there. One of my friends rents a house near Crystal City and commutes to Georgetown Law for school.

Van Ness/Cleveland Park/Woodley Park is a nice area with some high rise type housing along Connecticut Ave. with good restaurants close by and in a good location for grocery shopping and parks. Metro to Arlington would probably take 20 to 30 minutes.

As nice as the red line places in NW are, I wouldn't recommend it based on what nonny has said. Stick with something on the orange line so you don't have to change. I agree with the others that have recommended Clarendon/Ballston/Courthouse.

I wouldn't live in the city if you're working in Arlington. There's plenty of nightlife in Arlington and you'll have a shorter commute, which you'll be thankful for in the long run. It's easy to get around on the Metro but save the long trips for weekends on the town and keep your daily commute quick and easy.

Keep in mind the closer you are to a Metro stop the more expensive your rent's going to be. Scope out some places that are a few blocks off the main drags (Wilson, Fairfax, etc.). You'll save money but still be walking distance to the trains.

I lived near Pershing and Glebe for five years back in the late 90s/early 00s and miss it. DC is a great place to spend your 20s. Have fun.

I missed the part in your OP where you said you'd be on site in the city. I guess you might want to live in the city after all. If so, I agree with earlier comments re: the neighborhoods along the red line. G'town is cool but very expensive. I spent some time on Capitol Hill and never loved it, but maybe that area has changed a lot. I'd stick with NW.

I lived in Courthouse for the first 2.5 years out of school and really liked it at the time. There were a ton of young people and a ton of bars and restaurants in walking distance in both Courthouse and Clarendon (even more have popped up in the last 5 years). It definitely doesn't have as much personality as the city, but it's a great place for right out of college. Also obviously great if you're working in the area and/or want to commute via Metro (although Orange line at rush hour into the city was bad when I was there and I think is even worse now).

After moving from Courthouse I lived on the Hill for the next 4 years or so and really loved that area as well, but not quite as lively of a nightlife I would say (lots of new restaurants though).

Nothing against far NW up the red line, but sounds like not quite right for Nonny's desires regarding high rise and commute.

Clarendon is probably the most happening place in Arlington right now, but it's really expensive. A friend from Wake (naive, rich girl) just signed for a $2100 studio right near the Metro there. Silly girl, that price is not typical, but an example of how bad it can get. But Clarendon has really grown as a place to go out since I've been here, and sadly several places charge cover there now.

:eek:

Good Lord. I know rents are going up, but that sounds insane. My friend has a pretty large one-bedroom in Courthouse now and I think hers is expensive at like $1600.

Although it does remind me of the DC sticker shock frequently experienced by anyone moving here from Wake or other smaller, lower priced areas. When we first lived here my friend that is from Kansas City realized the rent on her studio in Courthouse was higher than a mortgage would be on a 5-bedroom house in her hometown.

Courthouse is awesome. Ballston is awesome. Don't know as much about Clarendon or Rosslyn but I hear good things too (though I think Rosslyn is a bit of an older crowd.) Its gonna be expensive but I love that area and want to move there eventually (maybe well be neighbors!)

I thought there was a rule that UMD peeps had to knock living in NoVa at every available opportunity?

Ballston is a little further out, but a cheaper place to live. You can also find cheaper places in the Courthouse/Clarendon area if you're willing to walk 20 mins or so to the Metro.

Finding other people to live with in row houses makes it cheaper, especially in the city. I want to live somewhere in the Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant/U St./Adams Morgan broad area when I move.

I currently live in Van Ness, which is alright, close to the Metro and Cleveland Park, which has some solid bars. The Metro takes me to places to go out pretty easily. Plus its close to where I work in Friendship Heights.

There are a ton of different choices really, and it all depends on how much you value closeness to the Metro, closeness to work, closeness to happy hour, and general neighborhood feel.

no offense to your friend, but you've gotta be an idiot to pay that much for a studio apt in freakin virginia. that would be a lot actually in DC. i have friends with 1BRs in dupont for like 1700-1800.

:eek:

Good Lord. I know rents are going up, but that sounds insane. My friend has a pretty large one-bedroom in Courthouse now and I think hers is expensive at like $1600.

Although it does remind me of the DC sticker shock frequently experienced by anyone moving here from Wake or other smaller, lower priced areas. When we first lived here my friend that is from Kansas City realized the rent on her studio in Courthouse was higher than a mortgage would be on a 5-bedroom house in her hometown.

That's one of the main reasons I'm leaving the DC area in 3 weeks to move to Roanoke. I work in city government and love it but it doesn't pay enough for me to stay here. I've enjoyed living here and am glad I took the job but I want something slower paced and want to buy a house.

Back