• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apartment Hunting in DC

You still haven't explained why its not as good as living in DC. Especially if you are in Courthouse or Rosslyn you are so close to all of the action of DC.

1. I live in Glover Park and work in West End. Home is about 2+ miles from my office. My morning commute (bus) takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes. At worst, my evening commute takes 30 mins. I can walk home in 30-40 mins.

2. I can easily meet up any of my friends that work in DC after work and know that I am never more than a $10-15 cab ride away. And I hate nothing more than getting on the Metro after a night of drinking. Last time I did it I was waiting for 30 mins for a train to come. Sucked.

3. The bars and restaurants in DC are FAR superior to 99.999% of those in NoVA.

4. Driving in NoVA sucks. I avoid it like the plague. Too many people that can't drive. I have no problem driving in DC. There are a ton of ways to avoid the common problem areas. NoVA is one big problem area.

5. NoVA has no soul. There is no real character to any of it (except probs Old Town).

Will think of more...

1. I live in Glover Park and work in West End. Home is about 2+ miles from my office. My morning commute (bus) takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes. At worst, my evening commute takes 30 mins. I can walk home in 30-40 mins.

2. I can easily meet up any of my friends that work in DC after work and know that I am never more than a $10-15 cab ride away. And I hate nothing more than getting on the Metro after a night of drinking. Last time I did it I was waiting for 30 mins for a train to come. Sucked.

3. The bars and restaurants in DC are FAR superior to 99.999% of those in NoVA.

4. Driving in NoVA sucks. I avoid it like the plague. Too many people that can't drive. I have no problem driving in DC. There are a ton of ways to avoid the common problem areas. NoVA is one big problem area.

5. NoVA has no soul. There is no real character to any of it (except probs Old Town).

Will think of more...

I live in Arlington and can say the exact same thing you said in #2. Then again, I avoid places like AdMo, U St. and the Hill, because there's nothing that great about them.

I don't know that the bars and restaurants are THAT much better. There's just a bigger pool to choose from, since everything in VA is packed into Ballston-Courthouse or Old Town.

Also, you're joking about driving in DC being easier than driving in VA right? They're both terrible.

I live in Arlington and can say the exact same thing you said in #2. Then again, I avoid places like AdMo, U St. and the Hill, because there's nothing that great about them.

I don't know that the bars and restaurants are THAT much better. There's just a bigger pool to choose from, since everything in VA is packed into Ballston-Courthouse or Old Town.

Also, you're joking about driving in DC being easier than driving in VA right? They're both terrible.

The bars are way better for this reason... people in Arlington always talk about how close they are to the bars and nightlife of DC... people in DC don't give a shit about the ones in Arlington.

I avoid AdMo and the Hill as well. I like U St., but mostly only go there during the day.

And I'll stand firm on my opinion that the bars and restaurants are far better in DC. Don't get me wrong, there are some shittastic bars here in DC too, but there are a number of phenominal ones.

And no joke about driving in DC. As I said, there are a ton of back streets that can be used to avoid the trouble areas. And sure, rush hour sucks and there is no way to avoid it, but I've sat in worse traffic on Rte. 7 in NoVA on a Saturday.

I avoid AdMo and the Hill as well. I like U St., but mostly only go there during the day.

And I'll stand firm on my opinion that the bars and restaurants are far better in DC. Don't get me wrong, there are some shittastic bars here in DC too, but there are a number of phenominal ones.

And no joke about driving in DC. As I said, there are a ton of back streets that can be used to avoid the trouble areas. And sure, rush hour sucks and there is no way to avoid it, but I've sat in worse traffic on Rte. 7 in NoVA on a Saturday.

Ha. Touche.

Basically all that was mentioned before. Arlington is for people who like chain restaurants. It's no-soul strip malls and the bars close at 1:30. The expensive cab fares from DC after bars are dagger too (if you can find one that will take you).

U St bars PAWN Arlington bars. Even if they closed at 1.

The bars are way better for this reason... people in Arlington always talk about how close they are to the bars and nightlife of DC... people in DC don't give a shit about the ones in Arlington.

Truth.

I used to go to the Arlington bars once in a while when I lived there. Now? Never.

Never had an issue with getting a cab back to arlington. And my cab ride is never more than $15 back to courthouse, sometimes less.

Also, I'm not arguing arlington bars are better than DC bars, just saying that (or the fact that a lot of DC things are better) doesn't mean that living in DC is better. If I live in Arlington I can be at the DC bars quick enough.

Never had an issue with getting a cab back to arlington. And my cab ride is never more than $15 back to courthouse, sometimes less.

Also, I'm not arguing arlington bars are better than DC bars, just saying that (or the fact that a lot of DC things are better) doesn't mean that living in DC is better. If I live in Arlington I can be at the DC bars quick enough.

So what's the added bonus of Arlington?

The best part, I think, about living in DC is the fact that thre's generally way more in walking distance. There's a lot more of a communal feel. You can find way more off the beaten track great restaurants and bars. It's the difference that always exists when discussing the burbs versus the actual city.

I think I just may be more of a suburbs person, which is why we disagree. I love DC and like being there but would probably rather just live somewhere very close thats just a little bit nicer and less hectic, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Arlington isn't nicer, but I see where you are coming from (it's whiter).

Truth.

I used to go to the Arlington bars once in a while when I lived there. Now? Never.

yeah I have like 2 friends who live in Arlington and one is always trying to get people to come out to bars there and the other gladly accepts that DC bars are far superior

So what's the added bonus of Arlington?

The best part, I think, about living in DC is the fact that thre's generally way more in walking distance. There's a lot more of a communal feel. You can find way more off the beaten track great restaurants and bars. It's the difference that always exists when discussing the burbs versus the actual city.

Representation in Congress?

Basically all that was mentioned before. Arlington is for people who like chain restaurants. It's no-soul strip malls and the bars close at 1:30. The expensive cab fares from DC after bars are dagger too (if you can find one that will take you).

U St bars PAWN Arlington bars. Even if they closed at 1.

Tell me about these U st bars. I got a buddy moving down to columbia hts next month. I've never really spent a ton of time in that area, but I am looking forward to getting out of the red line bubble I have been in the past few years.

So for the people suggesting living in DC...

Would I be able to find a good place walking distance from the metro for around $1500? If so, any suggestions on the names of complexes or buildings? Links would be greatly appreciated.

Tell me about these U st bars. I got a buddy moving down to columbia hts next month. I've never really spent a ton of time in that area, but I am looking forward to getting out of the red line bubble I have been in the past few years.

Saint Ex, Patty Boom Booms, and Local 16 are good for clubby-type nights. Marvin's to drink fancy beers with hipsters with a cool out door area. Solly's is good divey place that's great during the week if you feel like dressing like you are going out in Arlington. The Saloon (the original owner of the GT one that closed his doors to move back to Europ, and then the GT one had opened under the name Saloun or something) is awesome for a pub-type atmosphere. Bar Pillar is similar. Also more upscale spots like Masa14 or Cork for HHs or drinks with a date. Tons more.

Back