• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apartment Hunting in DC

You still haven't explained why its not as good as living in DC. Especially if you are in Courthouse or Rosslyn you are so close to all of the action of DC.

I live in rosslyn currently and its just very Blah. I mean there are bars and stuff not too far and I love being close to DC, but when your best argument for something being cool is ..."ITS SO CLOSE ITS ALMOST LIKE ACTUALLY LIVING THERE!" You probably arent really that cool

If you like arlington for arlington of course, thats another story entirely. But I never bought the argument that its just like being in DC. Courthouse is pretty good and I like clarendon, but rosslyn is just a ghosttown after 6

So for the people suggesting living in DC...

Would I be able to find a good place walking distance from the metro for around $1500? If so, any suggestions on the names of complexes or buildings? Links would be greatly appreciated.

For a studio I think yes. For a 1 bedroom maybe not. I'll see if I can dig up some links for you when I have time, but Craigslist is your friend.

another good bar I went to for the first time the other night was in the 14th St. area (at 14th and S) called The Standard. nice place to be on a pleasant night.

Never had an issue with getting a cab back to arlington. And my cab ride is never more than $15 back to courthouse, sometimes less.

You must wear a suit made out of dollar bills because I have to lie to them to even take me to the Key bridge after 1:45am

Would I be able to find a good place walking distance from the metro for around $1500? If so, any suggestions on the names of complexes or buildings? Links would be greatly appreciated.

I will look for some links, but you can easily find a place for 1500 if you have a roomate.

If you are living on your own, you can find a studio at that price within walking distance to a metro I would bet

The English basement in my old house was about 1500. It was big enough for one person easy, and it was literally across the street from the U St. metro, and they had the back yard (fuckers).

Saint Ex, Patty Boom Booms, and Local 16 are good for clubby-type nights. Marvin's to drink fancy beers with hipsters with a cool out door area. Solly's is good divey place that's great during the week if you feel like dressing like you are going out in Arlington. The Saloon (the original owner of the GT one that closed his doors to move back to Europ, and then the GT one had opened under the name Saloun or something) is awesome for a pub-type atmosphere. Bar Pillar is similar. Also more upscale spots like Masa14 or Cork for HHs or drinks with a date. Tons more.

Oh. My. God. Best brunch ever. I think I said that on another thread, but seriously, it's so good and has unlimited drinks. Nom nom nom.

Btw, touche to the person touting Arlington over DC for Congressional rep.

I have no idea what we'll do when we have kids that are of school age (Arlington seems likely), but I really do love DC for now (esp having lived in Courthouse, Capitol Hill and Brookland).

They can go to Public schools in DC through middle school probs. At least that's what I've heard. Who knows what the deal with Charters et al will be by then.

no offense to your friend, but you've gotta be an idiot to pay that much for a studio apt in freakin virginia. that would be a lot actually in DC. i have friends with 1BRs in dupont for like 1700-1800.

Oh she's an idiot. I told her that she's an idiot. Didn't do any shopping around, just took the first place she saw. Don't worry, I'm sure Mommy and Daddy will pay.

Oh man, Masa14 brunch is so awesome. All you can eat and drink for $30? That's a fucking deal.

Don't move to Clarendon. Just ... don't.

Saint Ex, Patty Boom Booms, and Local 16 are good for clubby-type nights. Marvin's to drink fancy beers with hipsters with a cool out door area. Solly's is good divey place that's great during the week if you feel like dressing like you are going out in Arlington. The Saloon (the original owner of the GT one that closed his doors to move back to Europ, and then the GT one had opened under the name Saloun or something) is awesome for a pub-type atmosphere. Bar Pillar is similar. Also more upscale spots like Masa14 or Cork for HHs or drinks with a date. Tons more.

Yeah, U St. rules. Good suggestions. I like Desperado's for a tiny basement dive bar type place.

It's not that bad from the red line either. I always get off at Dupont and walk. It's about 15-20 minutes to most places in the U St. area. Took me about a little less than 25 the other night to get to 9:30 Club, which is way on the east side near Howard.

ETA: last part obviously not directed towards Phan, but towards peeps not familiar with the area.

A friend lives in Columbia Heights, close to metro, nice 1br for about $1,350 a month. I think there are some places around there.

I lived on Harvard Street, down the hill from Columbia Heights in Adams Morgan, for under $1500 in a huge 1 BR. There's tons of places in that area for the same price. And you won't have to relive your college experience at Arlington bars.

Oh man, Masa14 brunch is so awesome. All you can eat and drink for $30? That's a fucking deal.

Don't move to Clarendon. Just ... don't.

I'm gonna have to check this out. That sounds like a great fucking deal. I've never heard anyone mention it, and I'm desperately looking for a new brunch spot. Is it typically tough to get a table?

I'm gonna have to check this out. That sounds like a great fucking deal. I've never heard anyone mention it, and I'm desperately looking for a new brunch spot. Is it typically tough to get a table?

Yeah, it's usually pretty crowded. Definitely worth it for bottomless, tapas brunch. Go with a big group if you can. Then you won't feel so bad when each person orders 5-6 things.

I thought it was $35 (not sure), but either way, still a great deal when you figure most of the small plates are $5-10, then drinks would be like $6-7 a la carte. I went for my birthday with 15 friends and we worked that menu over for like 3 hours.

Definitely recommend a reservation or getting there early and sitting at the bar. Don't plan anything for the rest of the day. So so so good.

Just to add my opinion here, I live in Ballston, 2 blocks from the Ballston metro and the Va Sq metro, paying $2925/mo for 2b/2b (obviously with a roommate). Far from cheap, but we don't have a problem with it. The location is pretty perfect for us, since he works for the Census (takes the metro), and I work in Leesburg (yes, it is far away).

I really do like living in Arlington, but I'm probably biased because I do spend some of my time out in Leesburg/Reston with friends, and it's easier to get there from Arlington. However, my gf just moved to Columbia Heights, so I'll likely start spending more time doing stuff in the city, which will be pretty cool. Currently, I don't go out there much except to go to the Black Cat/9:30 Club for shows.

And to add some advice, since I provided none in response to your original post, I'd imagine you could find something like that near the Va Sq metro or the Clarendon metro for your price, but I wouldn't think you'd be within maybe 4-6 blocks if you have to live alone. That's kind of a guess though, my roommate did all the apt hunting since I was moving up from Richmond.

Back