• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apartment Hunting in DC

Where you live is certainly a consideration. A parking spot at my building costs $35K, but there are certainly more expensive places in town. Street parking is also easy in my neighborhood compared to others. But I wouldn't give up my car for anything. We may only put 1000 or so mile on the car a year, but for us it's worth it.

Yep, I can definitely see this. I don't disagree at all. It is very useful sometimes. I think about giving it up but then I want to make trips so I don't. It's a personal choice, I think. But you can do just fine in DC without a car, I think that's what I was trying to say.

$35k for a spot though, dkn? That seems really steep.

Yep, I can definitely see this. I don't disagree at all. It is very useful sometimes. I think about giving it up but then I want to make trips so I don't. It's a personal choice, I think. But you can do just fine in DC without a car, I think that's what I was trying to say.

$35k for a spot though, dkn? That seems really steep.

Oh yeah, it's steep. But we made the decision to keep one car. I got rid of our second car (my baby) about 8 months ago, but we could never give up having a car completely.

I've always had a car, and there are times I don't use it as much, but I don't think I could do without it, at least at this point. There are zipcars all over the place though if you really don't use it much.

My parents are in Richmond and LadyDeacToy's are in NJ, so any time we visit them we drive. It's also been helpful with the dog going to the vet, dog park, etc. And I feel like most weekends we're home we're out doing errands where the car is necessary.

When I was in Courthouse I think I paid $45ish a month for a garage spot, but that price was going up when I moved out about 5-6 years ago. When I lived on the Hill I parked on the street and usually could park close, but had some issues late at night trying to find a spot. Up in Brookland it is extremely rare that the car is not parked directly in front of our house. I can see this being much more of a dilemma/decision if I lived in NW where parking is much tougher.

wait wait wait, hold up. you pay more to park a car then some of us take home in an entire year?

WTF

I'm sure we have. I feel like I know at least half of the people in this hood. If you frequent Bourbon, Heritage, BreadSoda or the bar at Surfside, or ride the D1 or 2 then we defs have run into each other. As for moving to Dupont, I woud do it if I could afford to do it right. Almost put an offer on a house a few months ago there, but the price got out of control. But I wouldn't want to slum it in Dupont.

Yea - all those joints are solid. Heritage is my fave Indian restaurant. I used to take the D1 / D2 for like 3 years until I switched jobs,

I am just moving into an apt in Dupont for a year. I just want to do somethign a bit different. It actually ended up being affordable moving in with an old friend.

i'm going to assume wfudkn's spot is a one-time fee

no way anyone pays ~$3k a month to park anywhere but in obama's driveway in dc

Yea - all those joints are solid. Heritage is my fave Indian restaurant. I used to take the D1 / D2 for like 3 years until I switched jobs,

I am just moving into an apt in Dupont for a year. I just want to do somethign a bit different. It actually ended up being affordable moving in with an old friend.

dupont, what are you gonna do with those silly bitties ?!

i'm going to assume wfudkn's spot is a one-time fee

no way anyone pays ~$3k a month to park anywhere but in obama's driveway in dc

Correct. The spot was $35K to purchase. And its just part of the mortgage.

Correct. The spot was $35K to purchase. And its just part of the mortgage.

haha i'm sure they convince you with... well its $35k but its only like $300 a month in your mortgage, which is what you'd pay for a parking spot anyway

eta: not that they tricked you or anything, but i'm sure that's the sales pitch

haha i'm sure they convince you with... well its $35k but its only like $300 a month in your mortgage, which is what you'd pay for a parking spot anyway

eta: not that they tricked you or anything, but i'm sure that's the sales pitch

What really convinced us was that parking in the immediate neighborhood around the building is pretty spotty, so to have an off-street spot at the building at all times is unquestionably worth it. And I was tired of having my car all dinged up from parking on the street for 4 years. Most people can't paralell park for shit.

Depends on where you live in the city, and how often you're trying to leave the city if you need a car.

When I lived on U St, I sold my car and never really needed one. I had a grocery on my block, and I walked everywhere (and lived across the street from the Tro).

Now that I live in BFE N. Cleveland Park I absolutely need a car. I'd say if you live in Dupont, Logan, U St, Chinatown, etc (really anywhere downtown) a car is more trouble than it's worth especially if you have friends with cars for roadtrips. Renting a car for a weekends every now and then is probably cheaper than a spot/tickets and insurance.

If you live in AdMo or even CP near the metro you should be fine sans car. If you live in Glover, Gtown, or more out in the city you'll need one more.

For reference, before I sold my car my car insurance was up to like 3 grrrrrrr a year. Sold it quickly when I got that quote.

For reference, before I sold my car my car insurance was up to like 3 grrrrrrr a year. Sold it quickly when I got that quote.

WTF dude, is insurance that much higher in DC? Did you drive a Lambo? Did you have 27 tickets and 11 accidents in the last 2 years before you sold it??

Yea 3 grand is a scary number for someone who's about to move up there. Damn.

I think phan had a pretty nice car if I remember. I paid like $1800 a year around h street

I had a 5 series and a few tickets. Was also just before I turned 25.

I had a 5 series and a few tickets. Was also just before I turned 25.

Damn, that sucks. I would guess insurance is cheaper in Virginia anyway though, I only pay $840/yr for a 2008 IS350 in Arlington.

My insurance was a lot cheaper, but I had it registered at my gparents house in Great Falls. Got the quote because I was going to have to switch the tags. Never switched em.

Also, One other bit of Virginia bad news if you are bringing a car. Those bastards will tax it every year at a set percentage of what THEY deem it's value to be. When I had my 2005 Nissan Murano there it was something like 3-4 hundred per year.

Back