• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apartment Hunting in DC

Back to U St. My fave restaurant in the city is a little Eritrean place on U St. called "Selam." Great food, service, and atmosphere. Get the lamb tibbs, and get it spicy.

I haven't read anything on here, but I can tell you that people are going to trick you and make you think living in Virginia is ok. It's not. It sucks. The orange line sucks. Living out there sucks. It is the burbs. The bars suck. The crowds suck. It's just a lame dc suburb. It sucks.

Live in the city whatever you do. Anywhere in the city. Take cabs places. Walk. Take the metro IN the city rather than INTO the city. DO NOT LIVE IN THE BURBS.

wfudkn - I live in GP. Have lived in GP for 3+ years now. I am sure we have ran into each other.

I am moving to SILLY Dupont though. Totes siced about that.

I haven't read anything on here, but I can tell you that people are going to trick you and make you think living in Virginia is ok. It's not. It sucks. The orange line sucks. Living out there sucks. It is the burbs. The bars suck. The crowds suck. It's just a lame dc suburb. It sucks.

Live in the city whatever you do. Anywhere in the city. Take cabs places. Walk. Take the metro IN the city rather than INTO the city. DO NOT LIVE IN THE BURBS.

Yeah, this. I lived out in Maryland for a little while. Never again. At least while I'm young and in charge of my life. Living in the city makes a huge difference in quality of life.

Yeah, this. I lived out in Maryland for a little while. Never again. At least while I'm young and in charge of my life. Living in the city makes a huge difference in quality of life.

That is really it. You are young only once. Quality of life is SUPERIOR if you live in the city. Living in the burbs is for the old people with kids and want them to go to good public schools and have a backyard.

For the people that live in DC, do you have a car? Where do you usually keep it? How much does that run?

I of course don't have DC plates.

For the people that live in DC, do you have a car? Where do you usually keep it? How much does that run?

I have a car but I have lived in Glover Park so I had a parking spot all the time. Now I am getting rid of it when I move to DUpont. No real reason to. I don't even drive it in GP except in the last 6-7 months when I switched jobs and they hooked me with a parking spot in the garage of our building.

Taking one (but not two) with us when we move in a few weeks. Keeping it in the garage under our building (we're on connecticut ave, so neighborhood isn't really an option) for ~$200/mo

I do have a car, and I question just about every week why I have it. I drive it maybe two or three times a month. At times I've gone 3-4 weeks without driving it at all. (sometimes I go down to just idle the engine to prevent damage.) The only real advantage to having it is being able to make weekend trips to Baltimore/Winston/wherever to see friends. The parking spot out back comes with my place and is just a part of my lease.

I still haven't switched over plates, but I should have months ago.

If you like arlington for arlington of course, thats another story entirely. But I never bought the argument that its just like being in DC. Courthouse is pretty good and I like clarendon, but rosslyn is just a ghosttown after 6

I think I'd be indifferent between your place in Rosslyn and RedneckRapidsDeac's place in DC. Just saying.

I live in DC and don't have a car. I see my gf every weekend and when it's her turn to come up (she lives in Fredericksburg, VA) we use her car for errands. she left it here this week while she's on vacation with her family, and I'll admit it's been pretty nice having one. making me consider bringing mine up from home in FL.

wfudkn - I live in GP. Have lived in GP for 3+ years now. I am sure we have ran into each other.

I am moving to SILLY Dupont though. Totes siced about that.

I'm sure we have. I feel like I know at least half of the people in this hood. If you frequent Bourbon, Heritage, BreadSoda or the bar at Surfside, or ride the D1 or 2 then we defs have run into each other. As for moving to Dupont, I woud do it if I could afford to do it right. Almost put an offer on a house a few months ago there, but the price got out of control. But I wouldn't want to slum it in Dupont.

I live in DC and don't have a car. I see my gf every weekend and when it's her turn to come up (she lives in Fredericksburg, VA) we use her car for errands. she left it here this week while she's on vacation with her family, and I'll admit it's been pretty nice having one. making me consider bringing mine up from home in FL.

While DC is certainly possible without a car, having one is infinitely better.

While DC is certainly possible without a car, having one is infinitely better.

But is it worth the price to park and insurance? I get a small discount cause I work for the insurance company that insures my car, but still. Though it is much more affordable if you can park it on the street, which is possible in many DC neighborhoods. However, you might not be able to park right outside your place depending on where you live.

But is it worth the price to park and insurance? I get a small discount cause I work for the insurance company that insures my car, but still. Though it is much more affordable if you can park it on the street, which is possible in many DC neighborhoods. However, you might not be able to park right outside your place depending on where you live.

Where you live is certainly a consideration. A parking spot at my building costs $35K, but there are certainly more expensive places in town. Street parking is also easy in my neighborhood compared to others. But I wouldn't give up my car for anything. We may only put 1000 or so mile on the car a year, but for us it's worth it.

I do have a car, and I question just about every week why I have it. I drive it maybe two or three times a month. At times I've gone 3-4 weeks without driving it at all. (sometimes I go down to just idle the engine to prevent damage.) The only real advantage to having it is being able to make weekend trips to Baltimore/Winston/wherever to see friends. The parking spot out back comes with my place and is just a part of my lease.

I still haven't switched over plates, but I should have months ago.

If I had your car I'd question why I had it, too.
bs13690-83559-albums-animated-gifs-pic43268-smiley-rimshot.gif

Back