• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are Clawson and Ed Hardin right? Wake Football needs ASU series?

I'm sorry, but I'll take a bowl even if we aren't worthy of one.

In 1988, I said before the App St. game that there's no way App State would beat an ACC bowl team. Turned out App State didn't beat an ACC bowl team. That was a travesty.

FCS games are fine. I like this year's non-conf sched generally speaking -- a marquee opponent, a local decentish to middling opponent, a relative cupcake that you'll beat and a FCS foe. Works for me as a template for future scheds

I'm sorry, but I'll take a bowl even if we aren't worthy of one.

In 1988, I said before the App St. game that there's no way App State would beat an ACC bowl team. Turned out App State didn't beat an ACC bowl team. That was a travesty.

Bad memories. A rep from the Independence Bowl was there ready to extend the invite. The radio crew talked to the rep during the pregame, joked with him "that didn't he want to just go ahead and make it official right then" and we proceeded to kiss our ugly sister, tied App and the bowl rep couldn't get out of town fast enough.

No matter what you say, it's a bad loss for an ACC team! An expected win and a bad loss.

But this would true of a game against many, many non power 5 teams. So that factor isn't a reason not to play App unless you are going to say we shouldn't play any of those teams that we should beat - which makes no sense. The advantage of playing App is that it is close, our fans can drive, it creates an in-state, non-conference rival, provides us exposure in another area of the state, creates a lot of excitement around the game which creates a great atmosphere for our kids to play in. The disadvantage is that if we lose we have to hear it for a year from a bunch of country bumpkins who live nearby. So be it.

I was against the game when they were FCS but it makes a lot more sense now. It seems like we should get 2/1 at home but whatever. And I don't think we should play them everywhere but switch it up with other local teams like ECO, Coastal, Charlotte, or whatever.

But this would true of a game against many, many non power 5 teams. So that factor isn't a reason not to play App unless you are going to say we shouldn't play any of those teams that we should beat - which makes no sense. The advantage of playing App is that it is close, our fans can drive, it creates an in-state, non-conference rival, provides us exposure in another area of the state, creates a lot of excitement around the game which creates a great atmosphere for our kids to play in. The disadvantage is that if we lose we have to hear it for a year from a bunch of country bumpkins who live nearby. So be it.

I was against the game when they were FCS but it makes a lot more sense now. It seems like we should get 2/1 at home but whatever. And I don't think we should play them everywhere but switch it up with other local teams like ECO, Coastal, Charlotte, or whatever.

Do you realize that other ACC teams in the state who actually metagame their programs affirmatively avoid cultivating non-conference rivals in-state? Do you know why this is?

When I was out at lunch I was listening to the radio on had it on a sports talk channel, apparently one of the App St. sports network affiliates. They had a commercial on there about the game Saturday and the theme was "The Rivalry is Renewed."

This is beyond condescending. Don't act like a Dookie.

+1..........many years ago when I was a young Demon Deacon in W-S it was pretty easy to jump on the "other schools are garbage" bandwagon, JUST LIKE IT IS FOR TODAY'S Students. That will never change. But as I went off into the real world and met other very fine, smart people who didn't go to college at Wake, Duke, Harvard etc. I began to realize that the enmity toward other schools probably should be confined to the sports competition arena. I have lived outside the area for many years now and met a lot of folks I admire greatly, and none of them went to Wake Forest. Many of them went to school at the places Wake Forest posters insult most. I'm a big follower of our boards, but I have to honestly say there are only a handful of posters who's writings seem at the level of sophistication or character we see so often claimed to be lacking from the non-Wake Forest community. Most are just as shallow, thoughtless, rude, self-centered and uninformed as the folks whom we deride. I wish we'd stick to thoughtful, open-minded discussions about sports and try to curb the oafish, adolescent rantings about other fans and schools, and even our own posters with whom we disagree.

get-off-that-high-horse-gregdaly-horse-demotivational-posters-1373026014.jpg

I mean do you want stats on how App, all things considered isn't a good school? This isn't some post factual feeling. In reality I probably do come across App grads but there is no reason to ever say you went to school there. Most school conversations are based around two things sports and academics. Sports there is no recognition of App outside of some small NC circle.

I heard it was one of the best remaining public schools in NC after UNC-CH and NC State.

I remember when shit talking was acceptable on these boards.

In my opinion it would be better to play a comparable Power 5 team like Vandy or Northwestern.

Back