• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

are conservatives dumb?

Check out the facebook gold thread. Not saying every conservative is dumb, but the dumb conservatives on there (especially my former friend) are really dumb.

Does anybody know of, if there even is one, a book regarding Palin's selection for VP in 2008 and the way that it changed the political landscape? I would love to know what decisions and factors went into Palin being picked with McCain. I remember that when she was picked I really didn't know who she was and even though she was certainly devolving into crazy (at least openly crazy), I don't recall the pick being blasted as "she's a fucking nut job" as much as it was "who is this woman?"

I've always held the view, maybe incorrectly, that the pick was a last-ditch effort for McCain to tap into a group of voters which the GOP would need against Obama: women. Palin was a relative unknown at the time and the GOP was looking to throw somebody on the ticket who would look good politically while appealing to voters they may not normally get. What the GOP got instead, of course, was a shitshow. The pick is typically panned in hindsight as being awful, and maybe it was, but I would love to read more about it.

Additionally the pick put Palin in a position of power which indirectly appeared to aid the TP movement which was just starting to get its feet underneath it at a grassroots level. Did the pick throw more momentum or lend validity to the movement when Palin embraced the TP, or was it just a coincidence/a sign of things to come within the Republican party. I think that the real cracks in the foundation started to show shortly after the 2008 election, where a loss to Obama really made people reevaluate what the GOP was doing and a movement to the right ensued in a belief that it was the way to remedy the failure. Obviously 2012 proved this to be wrong, but up to that point the TP did get a lot of momentum going by way of the 2010 midterms.

Was the selection of Palin in 2008 a precipitating factor in the collapse of the Republican party as a moderate-conservative party or was it merely the embodiment of a movement which had been in the works dating back to the Bush administration?

I would love to read more about this if there's a book out there.

I've heard it called the "Greatest VP selection of all time" or something of that nature

There's a pretty high profile book called "Game Change" that was made into an Emmy award winning HBO movie in which Julianne Moore played Palin. The book and movie got a ton of hype.

I'm watching the CSPAN stream right now and they're taking what appear to be unscreened calls (you dial either a D or R line) and it's clear that yes, conservatives are dumb. But yes, liberals are dumb. In fact it appears most Americans with access to CSPAN and a phone are dumb as rocks.

But Brian Kilmeade, the other member of the coffee chat club, wasn’t having it.
“She got behind the speaker’s chair and started screaming in the middle of a vote. You do have to pull her away,” he said.

Seems to sum it up no matter what you believe.

But Brian Kilmeade, the other member of the coffee chat club, wasn’t having it.
“She got behind the speaker’s chair and started screaming in the middle of a vote. You do have to pull her away,” he said.

Seems to sum it up no matter what you believe.

There's a debate about whether a person without clearance to interfere with a congressional vote should be removed when they seize the speaker's microphone and start ranting?

What if she condemned Congress for failing to protect children in the wake of the school shooting massacre? Would Fox and Friends debate her right to spontaneous First Amendment speech?

I thought I was watching the floor of some Asian government on TruTV. That's the Senate, here?

The Jesus freak shit needs to chill in this country. It's bad for the brand, anyway. I used to enjoy a little religion once in a while, maybe a good fiery sermon and definitely some good black gospel music. But damn, white people are always going psycho with that shit.... :rulz:

For what it's worth, the four most conservative/tea party people I know personally all have college degrees, one has a master's, and one has a law degree and an MBA. The craziest one almost flunked out of Wake, but he got through.

I see you sparring with a freshman floor mate of mine on Facebook from time to time.

I see you sparring with a freshman floor mate of mine on Facebook from time to time.

yes, he and I remain very good friends. since college he has gotten a lot more serious about being uber-Catholic, and in the last few years has apparently started getting all his news from the echo chamber of hyper-Catholic websites that all believe Catholics are a persecuted minority. Seems to be a lot of tea party overlap with highly conservative Catholics.

One of my biggest pet peeves as a Christian is Christians who believe we are oppressed for our beliefs.

One of my biggest peeves as a Christian is the conflation of...

American+Flag.jpg

Back