• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are the Rays going to move?

Playing in a shithole in St. Pete ain't really helping thier cause. Build a nice 30-35,000 seat park in Tampa and the numbers would improve.

they can't build a new stadium because, (a) they have a lease that runs through like 2025 and (b) tax payers wont fund it.

Playing in a shithole in St. Pete ain't really helping thier cause. Build a nice 30-35,000 seat park in Tampa and the numbers would improve.

Right, that's the problem. They are probably at least 6-8 years (if ever) away from getting a stadium in Tampa. Do they wait that long? I don't think so.

this will never happen, but it would be cool to see a MLB team in the Caribbean/Mexico/Latin America

Tampa is a pretty shitty sports market. They'll do better somewhere else.

They could always do what the hurricanes did and put their pro and minor league teams in the same state.

they should come to a city like Nashville here...they love their sports here and the Titans sell out all the time! i would love to live in a city with a mlb team!

They were talking on Mike & Mike this morning about this and one thing they mentioned is that moving the staduim to a better location wouldn't necessarily matter since people aren't even watching the Rays play on TV.

But The first area that popped into my mind was Charlotte or possibly the Raleigh area. My only hesitation is that it seems everyone in that area is already a Braves fan so it could be difficult to get people to change their allegiance. Maybe not though.

Not that this should be a sole indicator of where one should place a team, but here is a list of the US cities ranked by metro-area population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

If you don't count Tampa Bay, FL and Riverside, CA - the biggest one that does not have a team is Portland.

That's why I kind of like the idea of Portland. It's got a pretty big (and growing) population and it is not over saturated with sports. You could actually argue that the Pacific NW is lacking in professional franchises. No NHL, only one NBA, NFL and MLB team. Portland has the Blazers and the Timbers. In the summer an MLB team would only be sharing time with the Timbers. I bet a 32,00-35,000 seat stadium would kill it there.

I think Charlotte and NC are maxed out right now trying to support 3 pro franchises. Until the Bobcats get healthy I don't really see another franchise trying to move into Charlotte, especially not one that plays 162 times a year.

Nashville is #38 (Portland is #23)...so you're saying there's a chance!

I'm pretty sure when NC vetoed the Twins moving we ruled out baseball for a long time.

I don't think so...their TV ratings aren't good either.... no one is watching, unless the Yankee's are in town

I heard on the radio that the Rays are 8th in attendance per capita. I don't know where they get the numbers or what areas they're counting as the Rays population.

They were talking on Mike & Mike this morning about this and one thing they mentioned is that moving the staduim to a better location wouldn't necessarily matter since people aren't even watching the Rays play on TV.

But The first area that popped into my mind was Charlotte or possibly the Raleigh area. My only hesitation is that it seems everyone in that area is already a Braves fan so it could be difficult to get people to change their allegiance. Maybe not though.

Mike and Mike talking out of their ass? Shocking.

Rays' knock the Saw from the playoffs, so of course their media mouthpiece starts this trite shit again. Also, shocking.

they should come to a city like Nashville here...they love their sports here and the Titans sell out all the time! i would love to live in a city with a mlb team!

lol... zippy chance

The only viable options are Vegas and Portland. Vegas won't happen. That leaves Portland. Will they pay to build a stadium to woo a team? That's the question. I'd love it if they did because I'd move to Portland.

Tampa is a pretty shitty sports market. They'll do better somewhere else.

They could always do what the hurricanes did and put their pro and minor league teams in the same state.

Tampa's a good sports' market when the economy isn't absolutely in the shitter.

Back