• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are Wake and Manning A Good Fit?

Would love to read an explanation of this comment. In reality, I suspect the firing of Dino had nothing to do with "old white southern churchie" people and more to do with seeking a reason to fire a coach whose record was outstanding due to the recruiting of Skip, but who was truly "in over his head". Most on the board knew we needed another coach due to lack of good head coaching abilities (see offensive sets), and Wellman screwed up by hiring Bz. The firing of Dino was actual popular, and the hiring of Bz was unpopular. This had to do with coaching abilities and not culture and white,southern, churchie people. This is not news to you Moon. Come on...the white, southern, churchie people seem to be doing fine in the SEC in football,basketball, and baseball.

So how come we got stuck with all the shitty ones? You know, the kind that would rather stick their noses up in the air and lose than get with the times and win.

Not to sound morbid, but things should improve when all the old white southern churchie money is 6 feet under.

It's got to transition in the next 10 years or so i would hope and pray.

This post is as irresponsible as Wellman smearing the previous coaches will culture talk. Wake basketball was plenty successful in the era of "old white southern churchie money."

As someone who works with "old white southern churchie" people, I'll tell you that they're not all that old. If (and it's a big if) your hope will be realized by them dying off (and not being replaced by the system that is designed to self-perpetuate), then you're going to have to wait a lot longer than 10 years.

I know this has been brought up before, but given all the talk about the "Wake Forest way" (whatever the hell that is), it really pisses me off that Skip/Dino get thrown under the bus with no actual evidence to support the claim that they were dirty, doing anything wrong, or doing anything to damage the reputation of Wake Forest. I don't buy the whole "Dino hasn't gotten another coaching job" as evidence. Neither has Bill Cowher, but people don't attack his character. /rant

Just to nitpick the Bill Cowher comparision, Cowher has been publically courted for new coaching jobs many times since he retired. There's a difference between not being offered a job and not taking one.

But I agree the Dino allegation stuff needs to just go away. If it's supported by nothing than innuendo then its worthless.

From the press conference and DMann's past statements, I think there is the strong potential for conflict between DMann and the school. I just don't think he gets Wake the way Clawson does. Let's just hope he recruits great players that go to class and do their school work.

Danny comes from a background in which his father was both a player (NBA, ABA etc.) and coach. Eyebrows were raised when Larry Brown happened to hire Ed Manning at Kansas as an assistant coach just when Ed's son Danny was picking a college. However, he must have been a halfway decent coach because he followed Larry Brown onto the Spurs coaching staff some years later. Lets hope his time at Tulsa was enough to show him that the whole world of college basketball doesn't look like Kansas.

From the press conference and DMann's past statements, I think there is the strong potential for conflict between DMann and the school. I just don't think he gets Wake the way Clawson does.

I'm not sure I follow you hear. Unless I missed something, I never got the impression from him that either of these statements imply.

I'm not sure I follow you hear. Unless I missed something, I never got the impression from him that either of these statements imply.
I don't get that either. What has Manning ever said/done that makes one think he'd have conflicts with the school, outside the normal tension that exists in most programs? I actually got the opposite impression...that Manning gets Wake, understands the history, and knows the challenges.

I know this has been brought up before, but given all the talk about the "Wake Forest way" (whatever the hell that is), it really pisses me off that Skip/Dino get thrown under the bus with no actual evidence to support the claim that they were dirty, doing anything wrong, or doing anything to damage the reputation of Wake Forest. I don't buy the whole "Dino hasn't gotten another coaching job" as evidence. Neither has Bill Cowher, but people don't attack his character. /rant

I used to feel sorry for Dino. However, it was very petty and low of him to trash the Wake job while it was open. No reason to do that. He could have trashed Wellman specifically (or the administration), but he mentioned that the job itself was not that good. Wake Forest and its alumni have made him a pretty wealthy guy, so he should have just kept his damn mouth shut.

It is hard to imagine that he was doing anything other than trying to sabotage our coaching search.

I think Manning was in the position to get exactly what he wanted from Ron. I don't think there will be a conflict unless Ron renegs on their agreement.

Weird article. Doesn't seem to be about Manning at all.

FWIW...if we're going to keep redacting Bz's name because it's brings back horrible nightmares, what's the point of allowing a Bz avatar? Just sayin.

I agree. In place of a [Redacted] picture, should be the same [Redacted] verbiage.

I don't get that either. What has Manning ever said/done that makes one think he'd have conflicts with the school, outside the normal tension that exists in most programs? I actually got the opposite impression...that Manning gets Wake, understands the history, and knows the challenges.

Indications that Manning wanted Tulsa to lower some academic requirements which under Hatch's watch isn't going to happen at Wake. Also, Clawson went on and on how Wake's elite academic status is helpful and not hurtful when it comes to recruiting. Manning made a couple of passing remarks on this point but not to the degree Clawson did. You can just tell that Clawson gets it.

Indications that Manning wanted Tulsa to lower some academic requirements which under Hatch's watch isn't going to happen at Wake. Also, Clawson went on and on how Wake's elite academic status is helpful and not hurtful when it comes to recruiting. Manning made a couple of passing remarks on this point but not to the degree Clawson did. You can just tell that Clawson gets it.
I think part of Clawson making it an emphasis is that he needs to use "elite academics" as a recruiting pitch since Wake is at a pretty big disadvantage compared to the big state schools in football recruiting. That does not really exist for basketball as Wake Forest can naturally attract top talent without the academics pitch, though it can definitely be used as a positive in recruiting some players.

From what I've seen and heard thus far, I don't there is much reason to be concerned about Manning's recruiting strategies not fitting into the Wake administration's expectations.

Danny comes from a background in which his father was both a player (NBA, ABA etc.) and coach. Eyebrows were raised when Larry Brown happened to hire Ed Manning at Kansas as an assistant coach just when Ed's son Danny was picking a college. However, he must have been a halfway decent coach because he followed Larry Brown onto the Spurs coaching staff some years later. Lets hope his time at Tulsa was enough to show him that the whole world of college basketball doesn't look like Kansas.

People seem to forget that Ed Manning played for Brown for two years with the ABA Cougars. Ed wanted his son to play for Larry Brown and Brown made it easy for them to pick up stakes by offering Ed the assistant job.

Great fit. Small private school...Tulsa. Made NCAA. 15 years in the NBA. NCAA player of the year and grew up in NC watching Wake Forest! Great fit

Good gracious. We get rid of a terrible coach and hire somebody that should be a great fit and we got people pitting our new bball coach against our new football coach. They are completely different coaching scenarios and situations. We should just be excited and stop comparing apples and oranges as to their perceived effectiveness, since neither have played a game here yet.

Or we could just dream up shit to bitch about.

On the whole, we are a self-loathing group that cannot believe it when fortune smiles upon us. History is on their side, perhaps, but this phenomenon is still a remnant of LOWF.

I don't think there's ever been an allegation that they were in any way dirty. Skip seems to have had the ability to keep the knotheads he recruited in line - make sure they go to class, don't go the the N club or whatever, and don't get themselves in the newspapers and national TV for men's room BJs. Dino was the "nice guy" assistant who, as head coach, retained his "nice guy" persona with the team and they began doing all the things Skip was apparently able to keep them from doing. Dino, on the other hand, either couldn't or wouldn't exercise control and things got out of hand and the university had to try to hush some things up (which didn't work out too well) so off the court we had players frequenting unsavory places and not frequenting class and on the court we had one player who went into a sulk on court when Ish Smith returned to play pg and another who only intermittently played up to his ability. Then, there were players who had other off the court issues which ultimately led to their transfer and we all know how that played out. I think frankly that had Skip lived things would have turned out much differently. Anybody who says Skip and/or Dino was "dirty" is wrong, but Dino simply could not control things. I do not think we will see him in a head coaching job anytime in the future, and it isn't because he's living so well off any payout we gave him. Now, don't take this to say I think the [Redacted] hire was a good one, a better coach could probably have accomplished the clean up just as well and managed a few more wins in the process. But Dino's team had problems he wasn't addressing or wasn't addressing well.

Back