• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are White Republicans More Racist than White Democrats?

Not making a partisan point at all ... but goddamn, it's so sad that SO MANY white people of both parties feel the way these questions show. Just horrible.

silver-racial-index-3.png

silver-racial-index-6.png

Would like to see these graphs superimposed on a measure of economic performance. Many, but not all, of the upticks seem to correspond to recessions. The mid 2000s seems to be an outlier.

yeah before reading this if you would have told me that over a third of white americans think blacks are lazy AND that that represented significant progress since 1992 I would have been pretty surprised.

Probably skewed due to so many southern Democrats that haven't voted for a dem in forever. Just legacy political alignment.

I know a lot of registered Democrats in NC who vote an almost straight ticket Republican ballot. There was no well organized GOP at the state level for a long time and some people just haven't switched. They generally vote for the GOP at the state level as well.

One of the most disappointing 538 articles for reasons addressed above. Using party affiliation instead of voting behavior and not addressing region make it hard to take away anything meaningful from this exercise.

who do they vote for at the state level? Feels like you would have to be pretty old to have voted democrat at one time but not anymore (at least on the national level).

edit: It would not surprise me though. Very little about eastern NC does.

Very few people care enough to change their original voter registration. If they registered a Dem thirty years ago, it's not that likely that they have changed it. I'd like to see them ask a question, "How have you voted?" before asking other questions. This should be factored into the graph.

Must....make.....data.....fit... into......preconceptions...

Hahaha. Which matters more in politics? Voter registration or voter behavior?

Very few people care enough to change their original voter registration. If they registered a Dem thirty years ago, it's not that likely that they have changed it. I'd like to see them ask a question, "How have you voted?" before asking other questions. This should be factored into the graph.

I'd say about a quarter of the people in my extended family have changed theirs (both ways actually). It's just hard for me to believe there are a statistically significant number of registered democrats who vote straight republican

I don't know about straight Republican. That's far fetched. But vote Republican in national elections (Reagan Democrats)? Yes.

I'm not saying straight Republican. Few people vote straight tickets any more. But millions of southerners have become Republicans. If your family is indicative of the public, it proves my point. This could be enough to skew studies like the one cited above.

Do you mean to imply that the party that assumes people of a certain color are simply too shiftless to obtain a free government i.d. and can't compete on their own without their benevolent intervention with preferences doesn't view others are their equal? #nowai

I don't know about straight Republican. That's far fetched. But vote Republican in national elections (Reagan Democrats)? Yes.

Still? I feel like politics at the state level in southern states has mostly come around to what's going on at the national level. Pretty much all of the Southern States have republican governors and legislatures.

Are there really still hordes of white democrats who are actually republicans? Does anyone have anything more than anecdotal evidence of this? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm not saying straight Republican. Few people vote straight tickets any more. But millions of southerners have become Republicans. If your family is indicative of the public, it proves my point. This could be enough to skew studies like the one cited above.

It might explain the slight increase in the gap between republicans and democrats from 92 to now. But it wouldn't explain why the gap is still that close.

I wonder how many of that 40% of Dems live in the south or in rural areas. I am also dubious of such a high number. How a question is asked and when are very indicative of the response you get. What else were they asked? How were the other questions worded?

Back