• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are White Republicans More Racist than White Democrats?

Do you mean to imply that the party that assumes rich people are simply too shiftless to pay their fair share and can't compete on their own without their benevolent intervention with preferences doesn't view others are their equal? #nowai

FIFY

I wonder how many of that 40% of Dems live in the south or in rural areas. I am also dubious of such a high number. How a question is asked and when are very indicative of the response you get. What else were they asked? How were the other questions worded?

General Social Survey

"The GSS is NORC’s longest running project, and one of its most influential. Except for U.S. Census data, the GSS is the most frequently analyzed source of information in the social sciences."

I wonder how many of that 40% of Dems live in the south or in rural areas. I am also dubious of such a high number. How a question is asked and when are very indicative of the response you get. What else were they asked? How were the other questions worded?

I would be interested to a see a breakdown by geography as well as urban vs. rural. Not really the point of the article though.

Who is "rich", by your standard? How much should they pay?

A progressively increasing tax rate for all income types along with decreasing deductions beginning with those making $500,000. Top tax rate of 65% for those making over $5,000,000 a year. Index income to inflation.

A progressively increasing tax rate for all income types along with decreasing deductions beginning with those making $500,000. Top tax rate of 65% for those making over $5,000,000 a year. Index income to inflation.

Do you believe that they are not paying their share, or do you not believe that they are not paying enough? I view them as different things. Of the amounts paid, I don't see a serious argument that they are not paying their "share". They are overpaying their "share" by any reasonable standard of amounts actually paid. It looks great on a bumper sticker, but it's not even arguably true that they aren't paying their share.

I believe that they are paying more than their share, but not enough, since everybody is going to have to pay a lot more to pay for all of our reckless spending.

Even if there were a flat tax, you'd still claim that the wealthy were paying more than their share because they'd still be paying a higher dollar amount.

Even if there were a flat tax, you'd still claim that the wealthy were paying more than their share because they'd still be paying a higher dollar amount.

"share" implies group participation, does it not?

We're all not paying enough; trillion dollar deficits seem to make that point rather succinctly, but the notion that some must pay all while others pay absolutely none is a ticket to trillion dollar deficits in perpetuity, and by extension, ruin.

Though you didn't mentioned it, I guess this means you question the veracity of the Pub number as well.

"share" implies group participation, does it not?

We're all not paying enough; trillion dollar deficits seem to make that point rather succinctly, but the notion that some must pay all while others pay absolutely none is a ticket to trillion dollar deficits in perpetuity, and by extension, ruin.

I'm glad you feel that way about income inequality. What would you do about it?

I'm glad you feel that way about income inequality. What would you do about it?

I think policies engineered to encourage two parent homes focused on education (and empowered to leverage choices in that system) is worth a shot over, say, reassuring everyone that they are all some type of victim and that nothing is their fault/responsibility and not to worry anyway that the government will provide just enough not to starve.

Last edited:
As a liberal I am perfectly ok with taking all the rich mans hard earned money by force and giving it to poor unresponsible victims. I'm glad jhmd understands our income distribution policy.

I think there is quite a bit of good to pull from those graphs. First, attitudes have changed significantly in a short period of time. Second, there seems to be a disconnect between black individuals and black culture among white people. You see less animosity toward the idea of a black president and black relationships. You even see a pretty wide rejection of the idea that blacks are somehow less intelligent. But when you start dealing with questions relating to poverty, you address blacks as a culture and a separate class. That's when you start seeing the numbers skew. The question then becomes how do you change mindsets so that black culture is viewed on the same level as that black friend of white people, or the black girlfriend of your brother, or that black politician that you voted for.

Back