• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Army @ Wake Forest - 7:30 PM RSN/Bally

I was there. Hard to believe we have been ranked so high the last 2 years after all of those years of pure misery. Thank goodness for Grobe, Clawson and the donors who have funded the new facilities. And the players, of course.

I think currently Wente, Clawson and Currie are transforming Wake athletics at a pace I haven't seen in my lifetime. I saw Wente flew out to Vandy and was with the team celebrating in the locker room after the win. I'm not sure Dr. Scales knew we had a football team back in my day.

And Currie just seems to "get it". I'm thrilled with Wake athletics and the revenue sports. It seems like they ALL give a damn and want to WIN!!!

For fun weather, wasn't there a FSU game where it snowed and we were in it until the fourth.. early Grobe or maybe late Caldwell.

I don't remember it snowing, maybe cold and rainy. The crowd was worse than normal. I remember none of my usual crew showed up for the game, but people started showing up at halftime because it was close at the half.

FSU started a backup QB, Marcus Outzen maybe, who basically just chucked up 50-50 balls. FSU was so bad that day, but Wake just couldn't get points on the board. I remember there was soul-crushing drop or fumble in the 3rd quarter when it was still a one-possession game. Then FSU scored once or twice in the 4th to put it away.

Gonna show my age a little but I remember being at Groves in, I think it was 1981, vs South Carolina. It was raining and the temperature was about 37 degrees. Just nasty. I might be mis-remembering the year but I do remember that many people were carrying warmth providing flasks to fill their drinks with(y)

I don't remember it snowing, maybe cold and rainy. The crowd was worse than normal. I remember none of my usual crew showed up for the game, but people started showing up at halftime because it was close at the half.

FSU started a backup QB, Marcus Outzen maybe, who basically just chucked up 50-50 balls. FSU was so bad that day, but Wake just couldn't get points on the board. I remember there was soul-crushing drop or fumble in the 3rd quarter when it was still a one-possession game. Then FSU scored once or twice in the 4th to put it away.
I think this was when we fumbled the punt return when we were getting the ball back down like 3.. or maybe even tied.. FSU recovered and scored immediately.

Yeah. That looks about right.

Seems like we do this every year during bye weeks now. Things are going well so we take a break to test our memories of obscure devastating moments in Wake sports.

Remember when WF was in the midst of another losing season and Jim Caldwell just said “F it… let’s get crazy” and decided to direct Rusty Larue to throw on every down. This was Air Raid before Leach and Mumme. Rusty broke the NCAA record for completions in one game and consecutive games. Think WF lost those games, but it was fun and innovative.

Gonna show my age a little but I remember being at Groves in, I think it was 1981, vs South Carolina. It was raining and the temperature was about 37 degrees. Just nasty. I might be mis-remembering the year but I do remember that many people were carrying warmth providing flasks to fill their drinks with(y)
Let’s not forget the opposite story of Nebraska at Groves when the stadium ran out of water and it was 100. Also another devastating loss.

Maryland in 1981. Gary Schofield sets NCAA records in passing yards, attempts and completions in a game that, of course, we lost.

Maryland 1987. Wake started 5-0 in Dooley’s first year, beat UNC in CH for the 5th win. Then loses to Maryland 14-0 in the most boring game I have ever attended. We were sitting on the East side in the sun and I actually dozed off.

Remember when WF was in the midst of another losing season and Jim Caldwell just said “F it… let’s get crazy” and decided to direct Rusty Larue to throw on every down. This was Air Raid before Leach and Mumme. Rusty broke the NCAA record for completions in one game and consecutive games. Think WF lost those games, but it was fun and innovative.
Yeah and Rusty got hit on every single play.

DEA-CON AIR SHOW 👏👏 👏👏👏

1991 Duke game at Groves. Snapped a 17 game ACC losing streak with a 31-14 win. Posted attendance was 15,759. No way there were more than 5,000 butts in seats. Sleeted and snowed the whole game.
Coldest game I ever played in. Back then they still let you tuck your jersey up under your shoulder pads. I'd done it all season and didnt want to stop because it was cold and snowing. I made a horrible mistake.

wasn't that the fake ticket scandal game?
not sure about this one, but the VT game the season before had this with tons of fake tickets for the student section. we had to stand on the bleachers because there wasn't room to stand on the ground.

think the next game after Nebraska they gave every fan a bottle of Aquafina at the gate.

Coldest game I ever played in. Back then they still let you tuck your jersey up under your shoulder pads. I'd done it all season and didnt want to stop because it was cold and snowing. I made a horrible mistake.
Yeah but you looked tough I'm sure.

Clemson at home in 1999 was a steady cold rain. Miserable. We lost 12-3.

1995 game at Duke was the one where LaRue threw a zillion passes.

Back