• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Army @ Wake Forest - 7:30 PM RSN/Bally

Since we get to keep playing Army (Yay!), one thing this past Saturday reminded me, was something I noticed last year while playing Army:

They teach their offensive players, especially linemen, to hit you WHILE you are making the tackle.

It is fascinating to see, as they do it frequently.

For instance, Smenda hits their RB, their RB is taught, understandably, to keep driving and fall forward. And WHAM, you get hit in the side by a 6'2/270 pound offensive linemen.

That happens a bunch on short yardage, or "move the pile" type runs, but Army is adept, what a skill, at trying to hit you WHILE you are making the tackle.

Seems dirty.

If so, not surprised, as they had Bateman as D-coordinator, and the current guy looks like an asshole, as well.
I don't know that's it dirty, it's option football, they're looking to get everything they can out of every play. If a defender is in the process of making a tackle, why would you not want a blocker to try to knock him off the tackle attempt? Now, if they're hitting defenders after the tackle and the play is blown dead, that is dirty, but the refs have to call it.

The worst weather I ever experienced was at Boston College in October 2005. It poured rain the entire game and was absolutely miserably cold. I had to change clothes during halftime even with my rain gear.

I was also at Navy in 2009 but I had the benefit of bourbon to keep me warm.

We were at that BC game, man it was pure misery. Then to top it off we blew a 2 score lead in the 4th quarter to lose. We put on like 3 layers of trash bags and it was still hopeless.

We were at that BC game, man it was pure misery. Then to top it off we blew a 2 score lead in the 4th quarter to lose. We put on like 3 layers of trash bags and it was still hopeless.
We went back to the hotel room afterward and cranked up the heat to try to knock some of the chill off before going to dinner. When we got back later that night, the wet clothes combined with the heater on full blast had us walking into what felt like a tropical rain forest. There are parts of me that are still wet and cold from that game.

There is no bad weather; only bad gear.
Just from casual observing over the years, it seems like the clothing shop at the stadium sells a lot of sweatshirts, toboggans, etc. at the colder games that are worn on the spot; in particular, guys buying women's and kid's stuff so they won't make dad bail early and go home.

I remember being at the BC game in 2016. It was Thanksgiving weekend so there were no students there. My son and I were sitting on the West side but we moved over so that we could sit in the sun in the empty student section. As the sun sank lower, we moved higher. Stayed through the whole thing only to lose in the 4th quarter

The worst weather I ever experienced was at Boston College in October 2005. It poured rain the entire game and was absolutely miserably cold. I had to change clothes during halftime even with my rain gear.

Omg I was at that one too. Their qb got injured and they came back with Matt Ryan in basically his first game. The Navy DC bowl was also miserable but at least that was a win.

The coldest game I ever attended was the 2017 Belk Bowl. Totally worth it though, seeing Wolford hoisting the trophy at the end was the best.
Really? I don’t remember it being that cold. I guess it was once the sun went down.

The rain game in 2003 against Maryland was absolutely awful. The Miami game where it was terrible weather was 2009 when someone (Givens? Yloo Brown?) muffed a punt in a game we absolutely should have won. Also believe that was the game where a very drunk Wake student sat in front of us but she was a diehard Miami fan and she was going absolutely crazy the whole time - miserable experience and I believe Awakeandready gave her the business the whole game.

EagleBank bowl in 2008 or 2009 was super cold. You know you're a serious Wake fan when you attend the Eaglebank Bowl in crappy RFK.
This is the one that comes to mind for me. Raw, cold day in RFK.

Really? I don’t remember it being that cold. I guess it was once the sun went down.
World Weather shows the temps that day as 41*F for the high and 27*F for the low. Not arctic by any means, but it was rather chilly

With the win last Saturday, Wake no longer has the worst winning percentage of all P5 schools. We are now tied for last with Indiana!

Ahead. Wake has a 42.107% win percentage and Indiana's is 42.088%

We went back to the hotel room afterward and cranked up the heat to try to knock some of the chill off before going to dinner. When we got back later that night, the wet clothes combined with the heater on full blast had us walking into what felt like a tropical rain forest. There are parts of me that are still wet and cold from that game.

Omg I was at that one too. Their qb got injured and they came back with Matt Ryan in basically his first game. The Navy DC bowl was also miserable but at least that was a win.
TITCR. That game was miserable. I’m convinced it was the lowest temperature possible to still allow pouring rain. I made it to every game that season, and the next week’s drubbing in Tallahassee was like playing on the surface of the sun by comparison.

Was I not with you for that? I didn't have enough bourbon to completely forget the miserable experience, but apparently it was enough to remember who I was with.
You know, you may have been. It sure was an empty stadium though!

1991 Duke game at Groves. Snapped a 17 game ACC losing streak with a 31-14 win. Posted attendance was 15,759. No way there were more than 5,000 butts in seats. Sleeted and snowed the whole game.
I was there. Hard to believe we have been ranked so high the last 2 years after all of those years of pure misery. Thank goodness for Grobe, Clawson and the donors who have funded the new facilities. And the players, of course.

Back