• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

Did Jargon tonight and it was f’ing amazing. One of the better restaurants I’ve been to, anywhere.

Did Jargon tonight and it was f’ing amazing. One of the better restaurants I’ve been to, anywhere.
Now don't tell anyone else, I'm worried it's gonna get so much hype it'll turn into Curate pt 2 and be hard to get rezzies for even midweek.

Heading to Holeman and Finch tomorrow. One of our favorites. Still need to hit Jargon.

Two interesting WAVL notes:
Elliott Moss has reopened his Little Louie popup in The Malvern – sounds like it's permanent
The Chai Pani people are opening a Botiwalla in the old BimBeriBon space (they've got locations in Atl and Clt already)

Hitting up Asheville for the upcoming weekend for my son's travel soccer game, have been reviewing this thread for recommendations, thanks to everyone for their previous contributions. If you have any other must see/must do activities you would like to suggest (we have all day Saturday free before the game on Sunday) for a family with two pre-teen/early-teen aged kids, let me know! We definitely plan to do a hike somewhere.

Kids will love the Pinball Museum. Get there when it opens.

I ate at Ukiah Japanese Smokehouse with a group on Saturday night. Location is South Slope in the former Bar Taco location. We got the Chef's tasting menu and it was outstanding. We had 8-10 dishes. Highlights were:

Crispy Rock Shrimp with chili butter and gorgonzola -- could have eaten this all night
Sliced Himachi - white ponzu, serrano peppers + herbs
Crispy Baby Back Ribs - yakiniku
Wagyu Skewers - shiso chimichurri, yuzu kosho, wasabi + sea salt
Japanese Sweet Potato - miso butter, brown sugar, parmesan + umami salt
we went there last summer and agree that this place was great

Hitting up Asheville for the upcoming weekend for my son's travel soccer game, have been reviewing this thread for recommendations, thanks to everyone for their previous contributions. If you have any other must see/must do activities you would like to suggest (we have all day Saturday free before the game on Sunday) for a family with two pre-teen/early-teen aged kids, let me know! We definitely plan to do a hike somewhere.
Good hiking over at UNCA. A few trails and close to a lot of things. Pretty neighborhoods as well.

How is Asheville? Does it still suck? Haven't been in years outside of a quick lunch stop in west Asheville a year ago.

How is Asheville? Does it still suck? Haven't been in years outside of a quick lunch stop in west Asheville a year ago.
It's a great town for people from other parts of NC or the surrounding states to come up for an easy get away for a long weekend or a night or two, whatever, but I don't know why people come from long distances to visit.
The homelessness issue is a big negative (and not unique to Asheville), but as a 40 year old who's lived in Asheville most of my life I can say confidently that it's still light years better than it was in the late 80s and most of the 90s

How it was from 06-14' when I was living in the area.
I could accept that as legitimate statement if youre currently over 50 or under 30 and/or you dont drink
If thats not you then you might not be a fun person because that was a good, maybe the best time to be in Asheville.
Everyone has personal taste and may like one thing to another, but to say Asheville sucked in that era is silly

Trying to square someone who likes(?) living in Austin after all the changes it's had happen in the last decade with that person also thinking AVL sucked 06-14..

Agreed w/ BaconWFU that that was kinda a golden era and when it was starting to thrive while still being v affordable vs the quality of stuff available (and had very little homelessness then compared to now).. I really think that lately downtown has gotten bad for frequenting (still fine for weekend visits/touristing) BUT on the flipside the areas outside of downtown have gotten much better, which is probably better for locals and actually living here.. though it is definitely more pricey than it used to be (don't think that problem is unique to AVL though).

First time opening this thread...

I read an article today that THE BEST Indian restaurant in the US was Chai Pani in Asheville. If you've tried it, is it all that (not even meaning "best in the US" just is it notably good?)

It won the James Beard Award for Outstanding Restaurant last year (and Curate won for Best Service) but I don't think there are many who would consider it the "best" Indian in the country. It's good but overhyped and now impossible to get into. But it was an important restaurant. They're opening a branch of Botiwalla in West Avl which I hear is dope.

Never been to the Asheville location but assume it’s pretty similar to the Atlanta location which makes the statement best Indian in the country laughable.

First time opening this thread...

I read an article today that THE BEST Indian restaurant in the US was Chai Pani in Asheville. If you've tried it, is it all that (not even meaning "best in the US" just is it notably good?)

Yeah so it's not the BEST traditional indian food you've ever had or anything, just v good (and super consistent, which is a major strength) and they do a lot of stuff you probably wouldn't have had at a normal Indian restuarant that mainly serves curries w/ rice or whatever. So is notably good, mainly for the value/price point it is at imo plus ways it expanded expectations around Indian food.

I gotta say I was a little surprised they won that award (and also sad, because I haven't been able to go back since and we used to go once every couple months), think it's primarily because of the consistency + brand that Meherwan Irani has built around it w/ the spices and such (Spicewalla). They're not all pretentious like most restuarants that might win that category typically are either.

Back