• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ask me about Eastern Europe

I'll speak for myself. A tour of Eastern Europe has moved up my list of places I want to go.

To that end, I have to ask, how are Africans and Black Americans treated over there?

And I vote for more pictures, particularly of the hot chicks mentioned on page 1.

btw - I have a bunch of pictures from all over eastern europe (not just tourist sights, but everyday life in places like Russia, Serbia, Poland, etc). I don't want to turn this into a "photos of my life thread" but if you'd be interested in seeing some I'll put them up.

I don't know if it comes across in this thread, but I love this part of the world. I love the people, the food, the manic nature of life and intense pride most Eastern Europeans have for their history and nationalities. I wish more people from the west would come and visit and see for themselves - it's like so many tourists treat the old iron curtain as some barrier they still can't cross.

One annoying impediment: visas. For most of western and central Europe, you can go without applying for a visa (thank you visa waiver program). I would love to take a weekend trip to STP, but the cost of visas is actually higher than the cost of the plane ticket.

True - Russia is a pain in the ass about visas. But you can even go to Serbia without a visa. Outside of Russia and Belarus, traveling without a visa is fairly simple.

I'll speak for myself. A tour of Eastern Europe has moved up my list of places I want to go.

To that end, I have to ask, how are Africans and Black Americans treated over there?

And I vote for more pictures, particularly of the hot chicks mentioned on page 1.

Do you have money and an American accent? You'll be treated as well as anywhere else in Europe for the most part (read: not as good as in the USA, but not too poorly). In the more rural regions that might not be true, but very few tourists make it that far.

Are you broke and sound like you're an immigrant from Africa? Yeah, that's going to suck.

...the most beautiful of Russian cathedrals was built on that spot in St. Petersburg (Spasa Na Kravi).

Semi-off-topic for where this thread is going, but if you ever go to St. Petersburg you must visit this cathedral. It is absolutely one of the most stunning sights I've ever seen.

And yes, the visa process is a pain -- moreso for men, according to our adoption agency.

Russia pretty much tried to stop UN intervention in Libya. What did the Russian people think of this?

Massive indoor market in Budapest (on the Pest side) ... tons of individual stalls selling all sorts of fresh produce.

4330904436_74efc87e30_b.jpg

Croatian butcher in Zagreb

4330168097_dbbecf5799_b.jpg

Russians hanging out in the fountains in Chistiy Prudiy (clean ponds) park in Moscow

38142687159499819128196.jpg

List of various forms of flavored brandies (rakija) at a Croatian bar

30419673904787369128196.jpg

Vendor selling roasted nuts from a cart in front of Partizan Belgrade graffiti in Belgrade

19663655414786479128196.jpg

Street dog enjoying the sun in Serbia

19663655414791469128196.jpg

Mother of the Motherland statue looking over the Dnieper River in Kiev - WW2 devastated the Ukraine like no other place.

img9868.jpg

Children sledding down a hill towards the Dnieper outside of Kiev

img9877q.jpg

Central market square - Krakow (Poland)

img9886f.jpg

Kazimerz - the old Jewish neighborhood in Krakow. Now a full-on hipster neighborhood.

img9903x.jpg

Fresh Pilsener in Prague

img0009ge.jpg

Outdoor hockey in Prague

img0177fn.jpg

Typical central European food - pork, potatoes, bread, sausage and beer

img0182mh.jpg

Russia pretty much tried to stop UN intervention in Libya. What did the Russian people think of this?

They approve. They see their role in foreign policy to counter balance the US and NATO - so their general position is opposite those two entities.

They approve. They see their role in foreign policy to counter balance the US and NATO - so their general position is opposite those two entities.

So basically if a new Hitler emerged, Russia would be content to look the other way.

So basically if a new Hitler emerged, Russia would be content to look the other way.

Not specifically (obviously they have sided with the US/NATO on a number of items the past decade), but in general they do see themselves as a counter balance to the US hegemony.

Fascinating stuff. I'll be pulling for Medvedev in 2012.

There are some tartar, khazakh and tajik women in Russia who would melt your teeth. They just look like sex on legs. So exotic and sultry.

So she wasn't an exception. I want to go there now. Or get a mail order bride or two from those places

Back