• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AT&T National (golf) thread

DeaconDog

Reaction score
Bill off to a good start early, -2 thru 5. Webb goes off around 1:00.

This is 1 of the best courses on tour, it's in Philly for the 7/4 weekend, it's Tiger's tourney, and the best players in the world are awol. What gives? What non-major course on tour is better? Firestone, Sawgrass, Dublin? I don't think so. To me this would come in that next category after the majors of the 4-5 next best tourneys of the year. And you have 2 weeks before the Open, so you just make next week your travel and prep week. Color me confused.

One of my favorite courses.

Cantlay is one under. He is a stud.

I would think if Cantlay can get in the top 20 again this week he and his family will have to seriously consider whether he wants to continue the NCAA route to the pros.

It reminds me of Kutchar's situation a few years ago. Obviously Kuchar has done very well but I wonder if he would take a different path if he could redo it. Golf is a fickle game and I think you need to strike when the iron is hot. Obviously there are cases for both sides of the equation.

It seems like the Europeans opt for going pro and most Americans take the college route. In most cases I think the college route is the best chioce but he might be a exception.

Thoughts?

This is 1 of the best courses on tour, it's in Philly for the 7/4 weekend, it's Tiger's tourney, and the best players in the world are awol. What gives? What non-major course on tour is better? Firestone, Sawgrass, Dublin? I don't think so. To me this would come in that next category after the majors of the 4-5 next best tourneys of the year. And you have 2 weeks before the Open, so you just make next week your travel and prep week. Color me confused.

Great question. Maybe they think this course would kick their butts. At 7200 yards it isn't especially long but if the rough is high and thick it will definitely hold its own.

Aronominck as one of the really cool first tees anywhere and if you ever get in the men's grill check out the club champions. Wake's own Jay Sigel won it 10-15 times in a row--stops when he went on the senior tour.

Is this the only year the tournament is played there because of the US Open?

No, played it there last year. And maybe the year before - I forget.

By the way, the US Mens/Womens Public Links is being shown tonight at 6:30 on the Golf Channel. No doubt Cheyenne will get a ton of airtime.

Webb and Bill both at -2 (one shot back). Bill is done, and Webb has 2 holes left.

My guesses:

1) Many players don't give a flip about Tiger anymore.

2) More importantly, the slot 2 weeks before the British Open sucks. The top players from Europe aren't inclined to come over here to prep only 2 weeks before their favorite event. Many top Americans plan to head over and play a Euro event the week prior to the BO and don't want to wear themselves out playing the event this week before travelling on Sunday/Monday.

LK, I get the Euros not being here. But whether it's Aronominck or Congressional, the AT&T is 2 weeks before the Open, so you can rest next week, and play prolly the best course you're gonna play all year on tour. I don't get why some of the Americans aren't here. If it were me, I'd play here, go practice in Europe next week, then play the Open, the Scandanavian tourney and the Irish Open as a mini Euro tour. The Irish courses are great.

Apparently all the golfers hate St Georges. They complain because they never try out new courses.

How is Jim Furyk in second to last place?

Odd, especially considering he is from like 10 minutes down the road.

Back