• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athletic Department In Chaos

I like this world y'all live in where people voluntarily leave lucrative jobs because of self analysis

That's why you don't sign coaches to 10 year contracts.

Absolutely.

This is going to hurt, but I am willing to defend that decision. A certain large, flagship University's athletic department was in the Top 5 in basketball AND football during 1996-1998, and two years later both of its coaches had moved on (one to retirement, the other to burnt-oranger pastures). Two years after that, each program had fallen completely out of the top 25 (and the football team was finally good again this year, with freshman who weren't born when Mack moved on). Coaching matters and great coaches name their price. If you get the greatest coach in the history of your program, you have to do what it takes to keep him. Offering Grobe a ten year deal was the least bad move. The deal should have been "carroted" with incentives and "sticked" with a cleaner buyout, but I really don't see the better play than a long-term deal, even in hindsight.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

The same posters criticizing the Grobe 10-yr contact would have been the ones pissing and moaning the loudest if he left for Arkansas because we wouldn't pony up during the most successful period in Wake football history.

this

This is going to hurt, but I am willing to defend that decision. A certain large, flagship University's athletic department was in the Top 5 in basketball AND football during 1996-1998, and two years later both of its coaches had moved on (one to retirement, the other to burnt-oranger pastures). Two years after that, each program had fallen completely out of the top 25 (and the football team was finally good again this year, with freshman who weren't born when Mack moved on). Coaching matters and great coaches name their price. If you get the greatest coach in the history of your program, you have to do what it takes to keep him. Offering Grobe a ten year deal was the least bad move. The deal should have been "carroted" with incentives and "sticked" with a cleaner buyout, but I really don't see the better play than a long-term deal, even in hindsight.

Is there something that makes you think we care what a Tar Heel fan cares about Wake athletics ?

Is there something that makes you think we care what a Tar Heel fan cares about Wake athletics ?

When you see a nonambulatory toddler who has fallen over in his walker and is face down in a pool of his own tears, basic compassion compels you to assist him in returning his walker to its upright position.

On that note, Nonambulatory Toddlers (-1.5) v. Wake Forest.

I like this world y'all live in where people voluntarily leave lucrative jobs because of self analysis

In the world I live it, I wouldn't have any choice but to leave, because I would be shown the door when I stopped performing said job. That said, people leave great paying jobs all of the time because they decide they don't want the stress, etc involved.

When you see a nonambulatory toddler who has fallen over in his walker and is face down in a pool of his own tears, basic compassion compels you to assist him in returning his walker to its upright position.

Congrats. For your effort you've just earned 10 credits from the UNC Health & Exercise Sciences department.

In the world I live it, I wouldn't have any choice but to leave, because I would be shown the door when I stopped performing said job. That said, people leave great paying jobs all of the time because they decide they don't want the stress, etc involved.

Right. Sadly, AD jobs at Wake aren't stressful.

Would be so WF to make a run in the ACCT following this long losing streak.
#sandbagging

Grobe won 26 games in his first five years at WF, 28 games in the middle three years, and 23 games in his last five years.

We will see how many games Clawson wins in five years....if he stays that long.

(And before you start talking about Clawson inheriting an empty program, Grobe followed Caldwell, who averaged 3.25 wins/year for 8 years...and nowhere near the facilities or football reputation that Clawson inherited, even with a few recent mediocre years, due to WF's 2006-08 run with three bowls, including an Orange Bowl.)

The empty cupboard is referring to the quality of players inherited, not whatever you copied/pasted

Grobe won 26 games in his first five years at WF, 28 games in the middle three years, and 23 games in his last five years.

We will see how many games Clawson wins in five years....if he stays that long.

(And before you start talking about Clawson inheriting an empty program, Grobe followed Caldwell, who averaged 3.25 wins/year for 8 years...and nowhere near the facilities or football reputation that Clawson inherited, even with a few recent mediocre years, due to WF's 2006-08 run with three bowls, including an Orange Bowl.)

Grobe inherited several future NFL players from Caldwell.

Caldwell's last 4 years: 17 wins, 1 bowl victory.

Grobe's last 4 years: 18 wins.
Grobe played one game more per year.

Grobe inherited a much better situation then Clawson did. Miami, Boston College, and Va. Tech weren't even in the conference yet.

Well, it looks like everyone already has their litany of excuses for Clawson lined up & ready to go. It's a good thing. You're going to need them, because Clawson will not reach the 23 wins that Grobe had in his last five "awful" years in his first five years.

Back