• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athletic Department In Chaos

Our last year under Grobe we were 4-8 and we lost a 4 year starter at QB, an NFL quality receiver and our entire offensive line.

There was no way that we were going to be competitive these 1st two years.

Our last year under Grobe we were 4-8 and we lost a 4 year starter at QB, an NFL quality receiver and our entire offensive line.

There was no way that we were going to be competitive these 1st two years.

You aren't going to be competitive in the next two years, either...or the two years after that. Oh, you might beat Elon, Tulane, Delaware, Presbyterian and Army.....but WF isn't going to go better than 3-5 in the ACC anytime in the foreseeable future.....and I would take the "under" every year on 3-5.

Wake will be competitive next year. 6-6 is realistic given our schedule and what we bring back. With a couple solid bounces I expect 7-5 or 6-6 and a bowl game.

Find me a coach to can sustain success coaching WF Football. Grobe was/is the best Football coach that any of us will ever witness in the Black & Gold. I agree with the rest of your post.

Coach James Grobe had a real nice five years here out of thirteen but that is just about it. We were losing with his players up until that momentous season of 2006 then happened to come real close again to the title game in 2007 and went to another bowl game in 2008. Yes we did go to a bowl game again in 2011 but finished with a losing record. While his overall record was 77-82 take away those miracle seasons and Grobe is 49-70 good for a 41%. As it is he is 42-62 in the ACC which is only 40% . I do love the one Atlantic Coast Conference title but things got away from him and he got real lazy and reclined to the golf course and his handicap. Started counting his bowl bonuses and escalator clauses. Peahead went 77-51 which is good for 59% and based on todays bowl standards would have been good for 10 bowl games. Now that is was a coach. Rough and tough right out of the football coaches handbook.

You aren't going to be competitive in the next two years, either...or the two years after that. Oh, you might beat Elon, Tulane, Delaware, Presbyterian and Army.....but WF isn't going to go better than 3-5 in the ACC anytime in the foreseeable future.....and I would take the "under" every year on 3-5.

Yes, we know you are a troll.

This discussion has broken out on other threads.

I agree, I do not blame coaching much at all. They have been put in near impossible positions or positions they weren't prepared for.

Football is a different animal for Wake, though I agree Grobe was too lax his final years and it put the future of the program in a bad spot. However, I think Clawson is competent but has a lot of work to do. He is bringing in some good recruits. He should be given more time before you can give a fair evaluation, IMO.

Basketball has been managed so poorly. Other fan bases and journalists can't grasp how much of a disaster this has been and in some ways I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention given some of our player alumni. We have been jerked around as a fan base in ways that would be unimaginable at other Power5 schools.

We are still deep in the hole and it will take time to fix this, unless there are massive changes at the top, beyond coaching. If that happened tomorrow, I would be bullish on our future. I do think this is what will happen (not tomorrow, but soon) because we have big opportunities ahead of us with a shifting ACC landscape and I can't imagine the donors/fan base have much more tolerance for pain.

But if the leaders linger beyond another year or two with full BOT support, we are in deep shit and may never recover.

Well, it looks like everyone already has their litany of excuses for Clawson lined up & ready to go. It's a good thing. You're going to need them, because Clawson will not reach the 23 wins that Grobe had in his last five "awful" years in his first five years.

I'd give Clawson's first two years to Grobe due to the depletion of the talent pool he left.

Coach James Grobe had a real nice five years here out of thirteen but that is just about it. We were losing with his players up until that momentous season of 2006 then happened to come real close again to the title game in 2007 and went to another bowl game in 2008. Yes we did go to a bowl game again in 2011 but finished with a losing record. While his overall record was 77-82 take away those miracle seasons and Grobe is 49-70 good for a 41%. As it is he is 42-62 in the ACC which is only 40% . I do love the one Atlantic Coast Conference title but things got away from him and he got real lazy and reclined to the golf course and his handicap. Started counting his bowl bonuses and escalator clauses. Peahead went 77-51 which is good for 59% and based on todays bowl standards would have been good for 10 bowl games. Now that is was a coach. Rough and tough right out of the football coaches handbook.

If my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/acc/schools.html

Wake Forest's all-time ACC conference record is 131-307-5 .....a winning percentage of 30.1%.

Jim Grobe's ACC record was 42-62 .....a winning percentage of 40.4%.

That means that all other coaches in WF history have a combined ACC record of 89-245 .....a winning percentage of 26.6%.

Ron Wellman should have been relieved of his responsibilities years ago. The fact that he remains athletic director suggests a lack of responsibility and good judgement in the individual(s) to whom he is accountable. Then again, the athletic department revenues have increased dramatically over the past several years. No sense rocking the boat. Take the money and run.

I'd give Clawson's first two years to Grobe due to the depletion of the talent pool he left.

I agree with this. I would imagine that Grobe and Co. would have ended up with similar records to these past two years.

What's a Niner?

The Charlotte 49ers have won 5 out of our last 7 basketball games after last night. We are very happy with the progress that our former NBA All- Star coach is making.

#markoriceistheman
#thepriceisright
#judyrose>yourathletucdirector

I didn't think about it at all. Didn't go to any WF games from 1985 to 2005. I was busy following Coach Knight during that time.

6a01116901308f970c014e6010a9dc970c-500wi

Back