• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Magazine's Top 20 Burgers in the ATL

Is it possible that it's just the shake shack in Atlanta? I was hitting it up when there was just one shack I'm Madison Square Park and it was amaaaaaazing

Reactions: Go
Is it possible that it's just the shake shack in Atlanta? I was hitting it up when there was just one shack I'm Madison Square Park and it was amaaaaaazing

YES.

That's the feedback I'm getting, which is not a surprise at all. Atlanta fucks everything up, just look at the shitty posters we have produced (including myself)

There's definitely variations by store for Shake Shack. I'm a big fan, but I remember a hullabaloo about the difference in fries between NY locations and Boston, which the Boston locations eventually changed. I wouldn't put it in top 3 but probably top 5.

I'm surprised we got to post 22 and still no mention of The Varsity, even if just for irony.

I've eaten at one in Manhattan. It was good, but not otherworldly good. The line down the block would indicate otherwise, but I certainly would not wait in that line again.

I had Shake Shack when it opened at Nats Stadium and had no idea why anyone thought it was anything more than a decent burger. Fancy Wendy's is about right, plus the crinkle fries are terrible.

But then I had the Smoke Shack burger at a real Shake Shack downtown. Easily one of the best non-gourmet burgers I've ever had. The burger was seasoned well and had a little crisp to it, bacon had a great smoked flavor and the red pepper stuff was awesome. I love me some Five Guys but I'd put that burger a notch above.

SS fries still suck though.

Also, no Vortex?

Last edited:
Yeah the Nats Park one sucks. The real locations are much better. The one at the Spy Museum is literally across the street from my old office. Thank God it wasn't there when I worked there as that woulda been dangerous.

Interesting about the fries: last year they switched from the frozen crinkle cut to hand cut in each location but they recently reverted back to the crinkle because they couldn't get the hand cut to their liking and too many people kept asking about the old ones.

I really liked my burger at the Vortex. I can't fathom that there are 20 better ones in Atlanta.

and had Shake Shack in NY before it spread out all over, solid.

I was sad even when Shake Shack started expanding within NYC. That original little shack was so awesome. There was a webcam setup so you could check the line real-time. At the time (like 2008ish) this was pretty innovative.

Now they're out building shitty outposts in Atlanta with southern people comparing it to Wendy's.

As of last week the burgers at zinBurger in the barracks road shopping center in Charlottesville are awesome and way better than citizen burger on the downtown mall. Your welcome. F-k Atlanta suckaaassssss

Five Guys kills it. But I can see how you could go to SS more often than 5 Guys if you want to live past 40.

Honestly, you can't sell yourself as a burger expert if you think 5 Guys "kills it". Five Guys is good, but it should not be a destination burger place. It's a place that you go if you want a burger better than fast food and not as good as most of the places mentioned on this list. Btw, last time I was at Flip, it was ten times better than any burger I've ever had at Five Guys, and I've had a lot of them.

As far as Shake Shake goes, this reminds me of the In-N-Out hype. I was told repeatedly how great it was, finally went to one with high expectations. Left feeling just like those who write that Shake Shack is just a step above Wendy's.

Honestly, you can't sell yourself as a burger expert if you think 5 Guys "kills it". Five Guys is good, but it should not be a destination burger place. It's a place that you go if you want a burger better than fast food and not as good as most of the places mentioned on this list. Btw, last time I was at Flip, it was ten times better than any burger I've ever had at Five Guys, and I've had a lot of them.

As far as Shake Shake goes, this reminds me of the In-N-Out hype. I was told repeatedly how great it was, finally went to one with high expectations. Left feeling just like those who write that Shake Shack is just a step above Wendy's.

You lost me at FLIP bro.

But your hype idea is valid and yes the In and Out is hyped but that's a damn good and tasty burger.

The original list is silly and heavily influenced by PR girls trying to promote restaurants.

To be a really good burger, it should be a destination place. Like, I am going for the burger. You dont go to Bones for a burger, no matter how good it may be. The winner is Bocado and it is not really close IMHO. I have been to Bocado a dozen times and never considered orgering anything else.

agree that five guys is underwhelming. better than most fast food but i would certainly not call it a gourmet or "destination" burger place. that sign they have that reads "we cook all our meat juicy and well done" tells me all i need to know about that burger.

To be a really good burger, it should be a destination place. Like, I am going for the burger. You dont go to Bones for a burger, no matter how good it may be. The winner is Bocado and it is not really close IMHO. I have been to Bocado a dozen times and never considered orgering anything else.

Yes and yes.

I'd go with 3 tiers for the burger places in the "better than Wendys but don't compare it to Bocado" group:

Smash Burger - i like this place alot. their milkshakes aren't the best, but i'm a fan of their burgers
Five Guys - better than fast food but not a best burgers in atlanta type of place. would be so much better if they would use cheddar instead of american

Shake Shack - left wondering what all the hype was about. it was tasty enough, but can't understand why my yankee fb friends rave about it so much
Grindhouse - remember really liking it the first time i went and thinking is wasn't all that great the second time. should go back.
Yeah Burger - i don't even remember the burgers, but the line has been long every time i've been (west side location). so that's probably not good news if that's what i remembered.

Flip Burger - tries way too hard. love the toasted marshmallow shake though.
Farm Burger - salty and overpriced

Nothing gourmet about either of these places, but I really like the burgers at Front Page News and Hudson Grille.

Back