• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Advice for an Incoming Freshman at Wake

The professors I can recommend easily are:

Psych: Greene, Furr, Batten, Waugh, Whiting
Entrepreneurship: Detter
Sociology: Saylor
Humanities: Utley, Nielsen
German & Russian (Humanities): Shaw, R. Thomas,
Philosophy/Religion: Crow, Ford
Theatre: Friedenberg (Jerf), Gendrich
Education: BakerArt: Titus
Communication/Film Study: Leonard

One of my best friends would have graduated with a 4.0 if not for the D he got in Baker's Intro to Education class (which he took junior yuear, so it's not like he was a dumb frosh or something). He's never forgiven Baker.

Titus was awesome. I'm awful at anything art-related so I filled that divisional with his Gothic Cathedral class and it was great.

My shortlist of professors:

Coates: Poli Sci
Smith: Poli Sci
Gillespie: History
Lerner: History
Williams: History (hard but good)
Zick: History (Constitutional History when he starts teaching again)
Kairoff: Music
Titus: Art

Oh, and if you can take one of the Interdisciplinary Honors classes, do it. Easily one of favorite classes at Wake.

williams was the professor I went to the worrell house. I love the guy. He was an easy grader when abroad too which was nice. His whole family was there with us and his kids were like 10 and 15 at the time. Could already tell they were going to be very smart like their parents (his wife is a history prof. at Duke).

golf was such a money class.

Stroupe-a-loop!

lower your standards. this isnt hs where people judge you for banging the mediocre chick.

lower your standards. this isnt hs where people judge you for banging the mediocre chick.

seriously. sometimes i look back on my life and reflect on all of the mediocre (or worse) chicks i could have boned but didnt and regret it.

One of my best friends would have graduated with a 4.0 if not for the D he got in Baker's Intro to Education class (which he took junior yuear, so it's not like he was a dumb frosh or something). He's never forgiven Baker.

That's crazy. I took that same class and I don't think a person in it got less than a B. All you had to do was a skim a chapter or 2 for every class and then participate in the class discussion. Baker remembered my name for 3 years after that class, and I wasn't even in the EDU program.

Titus was awesome. I'm awful at anything art-related so I filled that divisional with his Gothic Cathedral class and it was great.

Agreed about Harry Titus. I worked in the Art Slide Library while a student & took his Landscape Architecture class simply because I thought he was such a nice man (and I'd bound half the slides for the class and wanted to learn about what I'd seen while working). The man makes his classes so interesting & he's very approachable as well.

That's crazy. I took that same class and I don't think a person in it got less than a B. All you had to do was a skim a chapter or 2 for every class and then participate in the class discussion. Baker remembered my name for 3 years after that class, and I wasn't even in the EDU program.

IIRC, the bulk of the grade in his class was a final paper, which he got an F on. While my buddy is the smartest person I know, he was a math major, so writing was not his strong suit. He's also the laziest person on the planet.

dont bang kappas unless they have the crazy eyes. it will be way more work than it is worth.

find the group of crazy, good looking girls that wont get bids to kappa/chi o/pi phi early before the upperclassmen figure it out and seal thir fate.

Go to every class and try to pay attention. It will easily pay off when it comes time to study.

also, thetag is spot on. butter faces are the way to go in college. ussually crazy, and how often will you ever find bodies like that after college? youll have to be much better looking or richt that point to, anyway.

If you have to take a language, take Spanish and then do the intensive language course over the summer for 154 and 213. Make sure it is with Profe Ana. :naughty:

Reactions: TBR
williams was the professor I went to the worrell house. I love the guy. He was an easy grader when abroad too which was nice. His whole family was there with us and his kids were like 10 and 15 at the time. Could already tell they were going to be very smart like their parents (his wife is a history prof. at Duke).

I'm the same age as his son and he went to Yale. He was a fucking genius.

Had Williams for French Revolution and it was a great course.

also, lol at the geeds giving class advice.

join a good frat, slay chicks fromlesser sororities . #winning

if that isnt an option then tell him how life changing powell was in between field hokey games.

Yes. Cultivate a relationship with 1-3 professors. It may not be your freshman year profs, but at least attempt to. I wish I did that more at Wake. Profs can be da bomd outside (and inside) of class.

Get befriended by some high roller in the athletic department who your brother knew who will hook you up with free stuff.

Find more opportnities on campus to build your resume during your early college days. Do intramural sports.

on the real tip, on thing i wish someone had told me before i started was that college isnt about just graduating. it's about finding yourself, learning, having fun, and deciding how you think you want the rest of your life to look. it isnt about what classes someone else enjoyed or majors to stay away from, but deciding what classes you should take and what grades you need (or what major sets you up for your definition of success down the road). i dont think anyone ever stressed the difference b/w hs and college to me enough in that there is no track; it's your oyster. slurp it.

Make sure you spend the first 3 weeks trying to hook up with as many different girls as possible. After the first month and definitely after the first semester, once the girls start the rush, the girls get occupied by Rush and start to realize that everyone in the school knows eachother and most of em turn into southern classy type girls that don't want to be that girl.

And after the first year the 15 lbs is on and the general attractiveness of your grade level drops significantly.

Edited to say, its probably much easier to creep on incoming frosh when you're fratted up and older.

Last edited:
Back