• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Big Green Egg

Can someone explain to me why i need one? Seems kinda dooshy to me (aren't gas grills fine for 90% of one's BBQ-ing needs?) but maybe i'm missing something. Also what's the price point these days? Enlighten me - denizens of the Pit...

Have you come out to your parents yet?

Have you come out to your parents yet?

Please enlighten me on how I can be less gay - it would be great to hear from an expert like yourself. I assume that anonymously throwing rocks at people in message boards is part of the recipe?

I got a green egg for xmas '13 and love it. I am not sure I would've sunk that much money into the grill myself, but now that I have it, if I needed to get another I would definitely get one (and recommend anyone with the means, who cares about a nice grill to do the same). It works so much better than any other grill I've used....gas or charcoal. I'm being a little redundant here but it can smoke forever and/or get extremely hot (hotter than any charcoal grill I've ever seen and hotter than almost any gas grill I've ever seen that's in the same price range or less). Heats up about as fast as a gas grill as well.

Please enlighten me on how I can be less gay - it would be great to hear from an expert like yourself. I assume that anonymously throwing rocks at people in message boards is part of the recipe?

Grill with charcoal. After that, maybe work on taking internet message board posts a scosh less seriously.

Last edited:
I've always thought the gas v charcoal debate was pretty stupid. Everyone should probably own A grill, if you can swing it. If you really enjoy creating the fire and tending to it and the food, get a charcoal. If you are a FILTHY CASUAL who either just enjoys the occasional grilled item or you don't have time, get a gas grill. And if you are awesome like me, you get both. I bought a natural gas grill at the same time as my Egg and when I told a couple friends, they were more confused, like "why wouldn't you just get what you prefer?" But they complement each other so damn well. Dogs, shrimp, vegetables, anything else that only takes a few minutes, generally gets thrown on the gas grill. Anything that is time-intensive or if I just feel like tending to a fire, goes on the Egg. Sometimes, like last weekend when I smoked the ribs on the Egg, then finished it on the gas grill, I use both.

I prefer charcoal because I like building the fire and getting my shit as hot as possible for certain items and of course, for smoking, but do whatever you want, people.

Primo:
xl_teak1.gif

A buddy of mine has a Primo, and that will be the one I eventually get. He's had it and the BGE and likes the shape of the Primo better. As mentioned above, I'll use my Weber Summit for regular grilling, the Primo for smoking for a few people, and my big smoker for large groups.

I used to be the biggest critic of gas grills, but have grown to appreciate them. They each have their purpose, just pick which one is best suited for your use and go with it. Hell with what anyone else thinks.

A buddy of mine has a Primo, and that will be the one I eventually get. He's had it and the BGE and likes the shape of the Primo better. As mentioned above, I'll use my Weber Summit for regular grilling, the Primo for smoking for a few people, and my big smoker for large groups.

I used to be the biggest critic of gas grills, but have grown to appreciate them. They each have their purpose, just pick which one is best suited for your use and go with it. Hell with what anyone else thinks.

But you should care passionately what YOU think, since you're either eating it or serving it in your name.

You cook a steak over charcoal and in a seasoned cast-iron skillet. Like an adult.

But you should care passionately what YOU think, since you're either eating it or serving it in your name.

You cook a steak over charcoal and in a seasoned cast-iron skillet. Like an adult.

just because picking a fight with jhmd is usually good entertainment on a slow workday, I'll argue this point. What is the point of cooking a steak over charcoal? If you're going to sear it and eat it rare/medium rare like an adult, the total cook time is going to be 10-15 minutes. It's not going to absorb any smoke flavor in that time. That goes double if you're using a cast-iron skillet (which, by the way, I whole-heartedly endorse). I believe I could cook a steak over charcoal and on my gas range using the same skillet and no one would be able to tell the difference.

just because picking a fight with jhmd is usually good entertainment on a slow workday, I'll argue this point. What is the point of cooking a steak over charcoal? If you're going to sear it and eat it rare/medium rare like an adult, the total cook time is going to be 10-15 minutes. It's not going to absorb any smoke flavor in that time. That goes double if you're using a cast-iron skillet (which, by the way, I whole-heartedly endorse). I believe I could cook a steak over charcoal and on my gas range using the same skillet and no one would be able to tell the difference.

This is correct, except that 10-15 might be a little long depending on your setup. One of the best parts of cooking with charcoal is drippings hitting the coals and releasing awesome flavors, which can't happen when you're cooking in a skillet.

If you get in to smoking, a BGE is awesome. If you just want to grill burgers and dogs, you would be wasting your money big time. BGE is awesome for a long smoke for shoulders or butts, brisket, etc...

I used a Weber Silver for years and had a disdain for charcoal grills. In 2007, we rented a house on Siesta Key that only had a charcoal grill (Aussie). After grilling on it for a week, I was sold on charcoal.

These days I use both a gas grill and the aforementioned Akorn kamado. The Akorn does most of the work, but there are times that just twisting a knob and pushing a button to cook a steak makes sense to me.

But you would know, and to people of character, that matters.

I have a WSM for smoking and a small tailgate gas grill and a Cuisinart Griddler for burgers and the like.

When I get a house my plan is to take the security deposit on my current place to purchase a BGE and the at some point get a gas grill as well.

I have a side-by-side Char-Griller set up with gas on one side and charcoal on the other. The gas side is great for weekday stuff like grilled chicken or fish, or occasionally steaks in a skillet (we often do those inside by searing on the range and then popping them in the oven to finish). The charcoal side is a decent setup for smoking via the offset charcoal/pan of water underneath method, or beer can chicken. It's starting to rust out but I'm hoping to get at least 1-2 more years out of it. Once I wear it out I'm probably going with a Weber Genesis and an egg-style smoker.

Back