• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Big Green Egg

just because picking a fight with jhmd is usually good entertainment on a slow workday, I'll argue this point. What is the point of cooking a steak over charcoal? If you're going to sear it and eat it rare/medium rare like an adult, the total cook time is going to be 10-15 minutes. It's not going to absorb any smoke flavor in that time. That goes double if you're using a cast-iron skillet (which, by the way, I whole-heartedly endorse). I believe I could cook a steak over charcoal and on my gas range using the same skillet and no one would be able to tell the difference.

I think part of the theory is that a better (?) sear is possible because of the higher radiant put off by coals (compared to gas). I guess the cast iron skillet would also project a higher amount of heat given the direct contact it has with the steak as well. I'm just spit-balling a little bit here; I don't actually know if any of this is true.

I have a side-by-side Char-Griller set up with gas on one side and charcoal on the other. The gas side is great for weekday stuff like grilled chicken or fish, or occasionally steaks in a skillet (we often do those inside by searing on the range and then popping them in the oven to finish). The charcoal side is a decent setup for smoking via the offset charcoal/pan of water underneath method, or beer can chicken. It's starting to rust out but I'm hoping to get at least 1-2 more years out of it. Once I wear it out I'm probably going with a Weber Genesis and an egg-style smoker.

If you're doing beer can chicken, you might look into getting a cast iron vertical chicken roaster. This is the one I have:
41ft3nrrg6L._SY355_.jpg

I can vouch for that vertical chicken roaster. Those things are great.

Weber Genesis for grilling, Cookshack Smokette Elite for smoking. Love them both - awesome results without having to spend hours tending fires or waiting on charcoal to sear a steak. Friend of mine has a green egg and it's great as well - just a little more of a production to use.

If you're doing beer can chicken, you might look into getting a cast iron vertical chicken roaster. This is the one I have:
41ft3nrrg6L._SY355_.jpg

looks cool, but why is it better than just putting the chicken on the little $4.99 aluminum stand in an old baking pan? Not sure it's $40 (or $99.99 for some on Amazon :eek:) better than what I'm doing now.

Ive never used the cast iron skillet above. I use the egg setter things which only run like $10-15 bucks, and are ceramic, which makes for super easy cleanup, and provides a non-reactive surface that contacts the meat.

sittin-chicken-turkey-540.png

I have an Akorn. I went with it due to uncertainty about whether or not I would like kamado cooking. Great bang for your buck, but not the equal of a good ceramic kamado. Build quality is OK. Some owners report small air leaks, so I assume that's a quality control issue. Leaks can be fixed with nomex gasket or hi temp sealant.

I have trouble getting it to settle in at 225 degrees, even with a controller. It seems to like 240 degrees, so who cares? Other than that, I'm satisfied with the Akorn. I doubt it will last 10 years (2 years old, now) due to metal construction. When it dies, I'll get a ceramic kamado.

If you're interested in an Akorn, check out the Akorn forum on kamado guru.

edit: If you're pretty sure you will like kamado cooking, I'd get a ceramic one.

Last edited:
I believe I could cook a steak over charcoal and on my gas range using the same skillet and no one would be able to tell the difference.

Ehh, no. A steak absolutely absorbs smoke flavor from charcoal, even over a short cook time.

Last edited:
41ft3nrrg6L._SY355_.jpg

Just butterfly the chicken and be done with it. You'll get quicker cook times, more even cooking, and more flavor since more surface area is exposed to the smoke/heat. Perhaps more importantly, you won't be wasting a beer. Beer can chicken is bunk:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm

Agreed, beer can chicken belongs on the pretentious thread. Oh look at me, I'm so cool I cook with beer! Howabout you drink the beer and eat the chicken, that sounds like a better idea to me.

cooking a chicken on a can of Coors Light on a charcoal grill is absolutely not pretentious

cooking a chicken on a can of Coors Light on a charcoal grill is absolutely not pretentious

Sure it is, it is the same as the hipster drinking the PBR in the Brooklyn gastrolounge. There is no reason to do it other than the appearance.

Ehh, no. A steak absolutely absorbs smoke flavor from charcoal, even over a short cook time.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Love smoking stuff but makes no sense for a steak. In any case, very few people know how to get a charcoal grill up to the kind of temps you need to get a proper sear (or own a charcoal grill that can do it), which is what you really need. It's easy to do on an indoor gas range, or an oven with an infrared broiler.

We can agree to disagree on this.

I agree that beer can chicken is bunk. It is fun to do, looks cool, and vertical roasting isn't the worst thing in the world. I do butterflying and piece roasting techniques just as often.

Is the douche-y behavior on this thread (arguing every stupid nit/opinion) normal for people in 2015 or is it an outlier that just happens to be highly concentrated on these boards?

Back