• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Chicago Touristy Things

RaleighDeacon

Reaction score
Wife and I are headed to the Windy City in the morning. We'll be there all weekend before she heads home and I stay put for a work event there. We are staying in the Loop South area, at the Chicago Hilton. Right now the plan is to check out the Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier tomorrow, plus eat some deep dish pizza for dinner and then drop in at Buddy Guy's Legends.

On Sunday, we are planning some mix of Shedd's Aquarium, Art Institute, etc. We have reservations Sunday night at Sable.

We are looking to do some of the touristy things we've never done in Chicago, hence Navy Pier. Anything we should definitely not miss?

Go sit in the bleachers at Wrigley, or don't go at all.

Unless of course the Cubbies are out of town then sorry brah.

Field Museum! Willis Tower! Billy Goat Tavern!

Make sure to see the bean at Millennium Park (Park Grille is also good) and the Picasso at the county building (site of Cook County Assessor's Office in Blues Brothers iirc).

Definitely do Shedd Aquarium. It is fucking awesome

Sweet. Thanks.

Go sit in the bleachers at Wrigley, or don't go at all.

Unless of course the Cubbies are out of town then sorry brah.

Couldn't make it work over the weekend, but the work crew is going to see the Cubs and the White Sox at Wrigley on Monday night. I'll be there for that.

Field Museum! Willis Tower! Billy Goat Tavern!

Make sure to see the bean at Millennium Park (Park Grille is also good) and the Picasso at the county building (site of Cook County Assessor's Office in Blues Brothers iirc).

Thanks for the tips. We were actually planning on stopping in at the Billy Goat Tavern tomorrow.

Rolling in with work crew is definitely a better plan. Make sure to crush your mandatory two Old Style's.

I have been a half dozen times and never done a guided architecture tour. Really wanna hit that up some day. It has to be America's best architectural city.

Hire a guide and go fishing on Lake Michigan for some smallies which is what I'll be doing in 2 weeks.

I'm hosting a housewarming party on Saturday. Your attendance is expected. Bring booze.

Would love to do an architecture tour, but thinking the temperature is borderline for it.

Townie, this is why I'm trying to get touristy things to do. Been to Chicago probably 7 or 8 times for various things, but I've never done a lot of the stuff like Navy Pier, etc.

Navy pier I hear is fun, all I have done was take the kids there on New Years and it was fair rides etc. Some friends who came up enjoyed the dinner cruise that left from Navy Pier.

Go up to Argyle street and get some Pho

1000x this. Architecture boat tour is the best, gone 4 times and never gets old. Also like someone mentioned earlier, Signature Lounge at the Hancock has great views of the city.

So the linked tour is the specific tour to hit? I'm looking to book something, maybe, but want to be sure this one is THE one. Would work out well, since it leaves from Navy Pier, and we'll be there tomorrow afternoon. Just don't see anything in the description about drinks...

ETA: I now see that they have a full bar. Booking for tomorrow afternoon...

Last edited:
I was at the Hilton earlier tonight! My school is right up the block, and we get a sweet parking deal. I went to this spot tonight called City Tavern, which was pretty cool - should be about five or six blocks south of you on Michigan Ave.

Navy Pier is kind of a tourist trap, and I know they've been renovating it, so I'm not sure how much is there. They do have this cool stained glass collection in the back that goes on forever. Definitely do an architectural tour, or one of the boat tours. You should think about seeing a play - the Goodman Theatre has an awesome show in previews this weekend based on an old Chinese fable - definitely worth checking out.

Back