• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP - Florida Keys

lazydeac

Reaction score
OK pit people - looking at possibly planning a trip to the Florida Keys in late March for a long weekend getaway. Never been before so I'm just starting from scratch but it seems like a easy/affordable place to get to so let's hear about it.

Where to stay - in Key West or stay somewhere else
Where to eat
What to do
Any other input...

Best meal we had in Key West (last November) was Hot Tin Roof - excellent seafood and service. We stayed at Casa Marina, which was great, but overpriced. A taxi to Duvall Street is about $15 each way. IMO, you don't want to be driving around Key West.

If you're driving down from Miami airport, stop in Key Largo to see The African Queen, which is in dry dock there. There a couple of good restaurants in Marathon, although I don't remember their names.

OK pit people - looking at possibly planning a trip to the Florida Keys in late March for a long weekend getaway. Never been before so I'm just starting from scratch but it seems like a easy/affordable place to get to so let's hear about it.

Where to stay - in Key West or stay somewhere else
Where to eat
What to do
Any other input...

What are you looking to do? If you want to fish, Islamorada. If you want to snorkel/dive, Key Largo or Marathon are probably the best. Marathon is more the quiet resort town where you'll find places to chill and relax. Key West is busier and more of a party town.

@wfumike - its just the wife and i, we'd be looking for good places to eat, nice beaches, relaxation, would be nice to have access to a town with bars/entertainment/stuff to do, but we could probably do without that too

We're in CLT - direct flights from here are a big plus for a shorter trip (~3 nights)

I'm seeing a trend that Key West accommodations seem to be pretty expensive

@wfumike - its just the wife and i, we'd be looking for good places to eat, nice beaches, relaxation, would be nice to have access to a town with bars/entertainment/stuff to do, but we could probably do without that too

We're in CLT - direct flights from here are a big plus for a shorter trip (~3 nights)

I'm seeing a trend that Key West accommodations seem to be pretty expensive

There are none..........seriously.

We went about a year ago and I definitely have some recommendations when I'm back at my computer.

Agree about not being (m)any good beaches, but there are a lot of good things going for the Keys otherwise.

Ok, here's my Keys advice. I've only been once, so take that for what it's worth. I did a lot of research on TripAdvisor and talking to friends beforehand as well.

We flew into Miami, rented a car, and drove everywhere. We flew in early on a Saturday and out on a Wednesday. Two nights in Key West and two nights in Key Largo. Obviously you could see more if you're there longer, but what we did was very doable and allowed us to squeeze in a lot. The drive down is really pretty, and there's good places to stop along the way to break up the trip.

Islamorada:
About halfway between Miami and Key West, Islamorada was a good stopping point to break up our drive on Day 1. We ate at the Island Grill, outside with our feet in the sand. Then stopped at Robbie's to feed the Tarpon and see the pelicans. They also have kayaking and some other outtings available, but we just did a quick pit stop.

Key West:
I recommend staying at one of the hundreds of B&Bs in KW. Most of the hotels and resorts are not walking distance to the main downtown area, and KW is a place you really want to be able to walk/bike around. We stayed at La Pensione Inn, and I'm sure there are nicer places, but I'd recommend it. It's only a few blocks off Duval, easy walk down to Mallory Square, had bikes available for rent, and a good breakfast. I definitely recommend renting bikes at least one day to get around to some of the places that would be a longer walk.

Flamingo Crossing on Duval had really good ice cream. Kermit's Key West Key Lime Shoppe had very good pie, along with a number of other key lime flavored offerings (cookies, dips, BBQ sauces, candy, etc) and they had samples out to try of almost everything. Key West Pretzel Company was good and had a ton of different homemade dipping sauces to try. Paseo Restaurant is a hole in the wall (old converted gas station), but lunch there was delicious. Schooner Wharf Bar was also a pleasant surprise and had live music and a great outdoor dining area/bar. We wanted to go to BO Fish Wagon, based on recommendations, but it was closed early the night we tried. Blue Heaven is super popular and always recommended for breakfast/brunch. I concur, but would recommend going early to avoid the long waits. Eating outdoors with chickens wandering around is definitely unique.

In terms of sightseeing, you have to go to the Southernmost Point, just for the photo op pretty much. The Hemingway House was definitely worth the visit and the tour (much more interesting to hear from a guide than just wandering around...but at least go see the 6-toed cats!). Sunset at Mallory Square is a must. One afternoon we biked down to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park to the beach there. It's a bit rocky, but you can swim and snorkel there or wander around the fort and the bike path. I don't recommend trying to walk there. Either bike or drive. The Butterfly Conservatory seems like a random stop, but we actually thought it was really cool. Pick up a coupon book from any inn or shop and you'll find coupons and discounts for a lot of the tourist stops and shops.

It was a little cool and windy when we were in KW (in February), so we didn't end up doing any swimming, snorkeling, sailing, fishing, etc, but there are a lot of options for that as well. I read good things about Danger Charters, but can't review based on experience.

Bahia Honda State Park
This is another beach option in the keys, and is part way between Key West and Key Largo. We left KW in the morning, picked up sandwiches in town, and planned for a picnic on the beach in Bahia Honda. It was a nice stop on the drive, and there are 3-4 beaches (albeit narrow ones) to visit.

Key Largo
There are a few hotel options in Key Largo, and nothing is really walking distance to much, so you just need to pick a place to stay that you like since you'll have to drive to meals and activities. I definitely recommend Dove Creek Lodge. The rooms have nice views out to the ocean, the grounds are nice with a pool and hot tub, hammocks, swings, etc. They have free kayaks you can take out. And there's a restaurant/bar called Snappers right next door that is pretty good. They also have a good free breakfast.

Fish House restaurant was great. It's not on the water, which was a drawback, but the food was delicious. The Black and Bleu and Matucambe style fish there were both so so good. Even though breakfast was included at the hotel, I'd also highly recommend Doc's Diner. I had what I consider to literally be the best pancakes I've ever eaten. And the hash brown casserole was also really good.

There are a ton of options for snorkeling and scuba in Key Largo, and we used Keys Diver. We were very happy with our trip, but I think most of them are probably fairly similar.

Hope that is helpful if you end up going! They Keys definitely have more options for sightseeing and active stuff (snorkel, scuba, sailing, kayaking, fishing, etc), and aren't really a beachy resort type vacation, but I think totally worth a trip.

Last edited:
Went to the Keys on my honeymoon 5 years ago. There are definitely no real beaches down there. Not surprising since the keys are coral islands. Key Largo is very nice, laid back with lots to do. Great snorkelling/diving at the park there. Definitely take a sunset catamaran snorkelling cruise. They motor out, snorkel for about 4 hours, raise anchor, raise the sails, and the rum punch comes out for a nice sunset cruise in. Key West is going to depend on your personality. Kind of a modern Sodom and Gomorrah, but some people enjoy that kind of thing. Going to drag shows, getting so drunk you pass out, just wasn't on my agenda. Rent a scooter to get around down there. Streets are insanely narrow and crowded. Casa Marina is overpriced and cramped. Definitely worth going to Key West just so you can get your pic taken at the marker like everyone else does. Marathon is nice for fishing. Great fishing overall down there. Key West also has the USS Vandenberg, so if you're a diver, it's a must. It was the ship in the movie Virus, with Donald Sutherland and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Did a short sunset sail with Danger Charters and it was great. Plenty of wine to go around and great crew. My parents did a full day excursion with them last time they were in Key West and it was great as well.

Have a drink at Louie's Backyard at a minimum. Last time I ate there my (ex) girlfriend and I had a terrific meal and were able to sit outside. Expensive though.

it's definitely worth it. one of the most unique places in the country. have always wanted to camp there, but only done the day trip.

only been there once about 2 years ago. wife and i did not do much in the way of all night partying though there is clearly that.

2 best meals we had were 1 - lunch at garbo's. it's a food truck and it was absolutely fantastic. and 2 - dinner at santiago's (bodega??) tapas style and very good as well. trip advisor lists them as the top 2 restaurants in kw if i recall.

only been there once about 2 years ago. wife and i did not do much in the way of all night partying though there is clearly that.

2 best meals we had were 1 - lunch at garbo's. it's a food truck and it was absolutely fantastic. and 2 - dinner at santiago's (bodega??) tapas style and very good as well. trip advisor lists them as the top 2 restaurants in kw if i recall.

my sister is stationed in KW and she raves about Garbo's

#2 and #4 - obviously very good

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g34345-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

We almost hit up Garbo's, but ended up going to Paseo.

Any suggestions for a cool restaurant in Islamorada. On the water and a cool atmosphere. Trip Advisor focuses on good reviews but most choices tend to be good food in strip centers. Taking my 15 year old daughter to dinner and need to find ambiance as well as good food. We are in Hawks Cay but willing to drive up to Islamorada for dinner.

I'll second flying into Miami and driving, especially if you shell out the extra $$ for a convertible.

Back