• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP - Lunch in DC

ATLDeac

Reaction score
Heading to DC on Friday for Spring Break with the family. Hitting all the usual monuments, museums, etc. We will be there until Wednesday, so need some recommendations for lunch stops - Georgetown, The Mall, Chinatown? Kids aged 12, 10, and 7 and aren't very picky eaters. I searched for a DC travel thread and had no luck. Thanks

Heading to DC on Friday for Spring Break with the family. Hitting all the usual monuments, museums, etc. We will be there until Wednesday, so need some recommendations for lunch stops - Georgetown, The Mall, Chinatown? Kids aged 12, 10, and 7 and aren't very picky eaters. I searched for a DC travel thread and had no luck. Thanks

sRC3Qk5.jpg

ben's chili bowl
jumbo slice

Some thoughts off the top of my head

Georgetown - There are a lot of lunch options in Georgetown, though none of it is great. You'll find something.
Booeymongers - Casual sandwiches
Los Cuates - Mexican
Johnny Rockets or Thunder Burger Bar - Burgers. I don't love JRs, but it's ok. Kids like it.
Pizzaria Paradiso - pizza and good beer
Cafe Bonaparte - casual french

Mall
Cafe at the Native American Museum - never been, but lots of people rave about it

Chinatown - A ton of options. Finding some place here will be easy.
Cava - think a greek chipotle
&Pizza - made to order pizza
Pidzza - made to order turkish pizza
Shake Shack - shakes and burgers
On Rye - hipster jewish deli
Jetties - sandwiches and salads
Graffiato - italian restaurant, good pizza and pastas
Oyamel - mexican small plates and tacos
Lukes - lobster rolls
Matchbox - Pizza and other stuff. People love it. I think it's ok.

Johnny Rockets? Is that the same shit place of the same name that was in my mall growing up where the staff all dresses like its 1950?

Johnny Rockets? Is that the same shit place of the same name that was in my mall growing up where the staff all dresses like its 1950?

Yeah. They recently remodeled this one so it's not the 1950s kitch, but same food. I mostly mentioned it because it's very kid friendly both in food and atmosphere.

I always enjoy Taylor Gourmet and there is one by the White House.

Yeah. They recently remodeled this one so it's not the 1950s kitch, but same food. I mostly mentioned it because it's very kid friendly both in food and atmosphere.

You could also try TGI Fridays.

What kind of food? Budget?

If you're looking downtown, Central on Penn Ave: http://www.centralmichelrichard.com. The burger and chocolate bar dessert (like a huge kit-kat) are my recommendations, but everything is amazing.

Also, it's DC so you should try Ethiopian. Chercher on 9th St NW by the convention center is good. Sadly my favorite Ethiopian place closed.

Just live stream your restaurant decisions so we can advise and you won't get stuck in a bad tourist place.

Edited to add: what area are you staying in?

Last edited:
Daikaya for ramen in Chinatown or their sister restaurant Bantam King for chicken ramen and fried chicken

Daikaya for ramen in Chinatown or their sister restaurant Bantam King for chicken ramen and fried chicken

I'm going to Daikaya tomorrow for my birthday. Went back to Toki recently and have to finally accept that Daikaya is now the best in the city.

Nando's Peri Peri for South African grilled chicken -- they have locations in Chinatown, Woodley Park by the zoo, DuPont Circle not far from the White House, and Navy Yard by Nats Park.

I'm going to Daikaya tomorrow for my birthday. Went back to Toki recently and have to finally accept that Daikaya is now the best in the city.

I was at Toki a week or two ago and didn't think it had dropped in quality at all. But I have come around to Daikaya being really good.

Back