• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP - Lunch in DC

What kind of food? Budget?

If you're looking downtown, Central on Penn Ave: http://www.centralmichelrichard.com. The burger and chocolate bar dessert (like a huge kit-kat) are my recommendations, but everything is amazing.

Also, it's DC so you should try Ethiopian. Chercher on 9th St NW by the convention center is good. Sadly my favorite Ethiopian place closed.

Just live stream your restaurant decisions so we can advise and you won't get stuck in a bad tourist place.

Edited to add: what area are you staying in?

Don't really have a budget and kids are pretty good eaters. We're staying in Arlington at my wife's aunt's place, but will be around the Mall most of the time. Thanks for all the recs so far.

Thoughts on Eastern Market?

Don't really have a budget and kids are pretty good eaters. We're staying in Arlington at my wife's aunt's place, but will be around the Mall most of the time. Thanks for all the recs so far.

it's a good place for kids. I would go on Saturday or Sunday to see the outdoor part of the market in action.

they have a guy slinging crepes from a cart that are always popular. and there are usually a few other vendors selling food. one of the butchers inside the market has great hotdogs for a quick lunch, and around the market there are some good places: Tunnicliff's (pub/tavern fare), Tortilla Cafe (carryout Mexican and Salvadorean, featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives), and Prego Deli for sandwiches.

Eastern Market isn't my forte, but here's a few recs w/in reasonable walking distance:

Can't go wrong with Ted's Bulletin 8th St SE or Good Stuff Eatery (burgers and milkshakes) on Penn Ave. I also like Jimmy T's place (breakfast grease-spoon) at East Capitol and 5th St SE (East Capitol St is also a beautiful walk). I also have a soft spot for Pete's Diner on 2nd St SE just off Penn Ave.

Unsolicited advice: just uber/lyft everywhere. Metro takes forever on weekends and the areas you're going it will be tough to find parking, especially time of the week/year. I always recommend people also venture into a neighborhood or two to get away from the federal area and see historic but quieter places.

Library of Congress (Jefferson building is the main/old one) is an underrated attraction.

Since you're staying in Arlington, stop at Gravelly Point by DCA, lay down, and watch the planes fly directly over you. You won't be disappointed.

Back