• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Moving to Kansas (maybe Kansas City?)

I was in Leavenworth from 81 to 85 and loved it. It was a great town and place to grow up as a kid. I went back about 5 years ago for the first time since the late 80s and the old neighborhood was not the same and the town felt old and run down. I don't know if that's because I was looking upon it with fresh eyes and it had always been that way, or because it had just run down. I know that my neighborhood in particular was pretty new at the time, and many of the houses around then looked like they hadn't been painted in 25 years. I wasn't able to go onto the post because this was after 9/11, but I suspect it is still pretty nice. Army bases tend to be well maintained.

I think Lawrence is probably a bit too much of a commute (I'm thinking it's about 45 min from Leavenworth, but that's my old memory and it could be unreliable, plus they could've built new roads in the last 30 years), but as others have mentioned, the suburbs are plentiful. Like I said before, that part of Kansas is really nice. Get a bit too far west and it turns pretty nasty. Manhattan, for example.

Back