• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP Polo Shirts

RicoSuave

Reaction score
I'm referring to collared knit shirts in general, and not necessarily Polo Ralph Lauren.

I'm 40-something and not entirely confident with my fashion style anymore. My main question is: do you tuck your polo shirts into your shorts, or let them hang out? Or is either way acceptable? My second question is which brands are most popular? Is it still Polo Ralph Lauren and Izod, like always? I really like the non-tapered fit of Nautica and Brooks Brothers shirts, and a few months ago I bought an Ecko shirt and I love the way it fits me. I do not like the fit of Ralph Lauren, which is a shame because a buddy of mine has a brother who works for Ralph Lauren in India and I can get Polo shirts for dirt cheap. Are there any "rules" anymore on what brands are cool or most popular? If its Polo, is the giant Polo Man more popular than the traditional logo now?

As for casual shoes, can an older dude wear canvas Chuck Taylors without looking like a douche? What about the old Stan Smith Adidas tennis shoes? Are leather flip-flops still acceptable?

Izod- what are you, 75?

A lot of the smaller preppy brands have become popular like Vineyard Vines, Southern Tide, Southern Proper, etc. Brooks Brothers is always popular too. I really like Southern Tide now because the cotton they use is really soft so it's the most comfortable polo I've ever had. But if you can get RL Polo's for cheap I'd save your money and do that since they are still popular.

I feel like polo, brooks brothers, lacoste, and vineyard vines are pretty much standard these days.

Jos A Bank makes the best quality polo shirts that I've worn, their "commuter" line. Unfortunately they're pretty expensive (for me) and never really go on sale. Ralph Lauren all cotton polos are my go to, since they come in a million colors and you can get them for 30 bucks at Marshals

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Disagree on the tucking, at least for someone in their 40s. If you do go untucked, just make sure it fits well and doesn't look like a box with a collar.

I usually wear DRI-fit golf shirts. I have about 50 different Wake ones and other assorted colors. Hit up Dicks, Sports Authority, etc. at the end of the summer for stupid sales on them. Definitely tuck.

I have several polo polo's but have only gotten them when on sale/clearance at Belk. I like them but recently I've started getting them from the Banana Republic outlet for ~ $10 a pop. Super soft and good fit. Hope they hold up. Then 1 or 2 of various other brands. Have a lot total bc they are what I wear to work.

I'd tuck at church or in a restaurant, otherwise not. Tucking a Polo can be a bitch if you're fat though, so I'd probably tuck my shirt in more if my belly weren't in the way

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jcrew makes the best polos. they fit well, have no logo, and they have better colors. i dont really wear polos anymore, though. defs no tuck unless golfing. if it's a scene where you'd tuck why the hell are you wearing a casual shirt? granted i guess a lot of the folks on here that cant dress probs wear pleated khakis and polos tucked in for work.

Lacoste all day, every day....shit is by far the best made and most comfortable polo.....much better than RL.

logos suck. especially ones that itch your neenees.

You breast feeding or something? I've never had a problem with the croc itching...

It's still cool to wear 7 polos, stacked, with the collars popped?

I often wear a polo shirt to work in the summer because I feel guilty wearing a t-shirt. Since I'm at work, I tuck it in. I don't wear pleated khakis. I hate logos on the shirts and am slowly weeding them out, but I get one as a gift every so often.

jcrew makes the best polos. they fit well, have no logo, and they have better colors. i dont really wear polos anymore, though. defs no tuck unless golfing. if it's a scene where you'd tuck why the hell are you wearing a casual shirt? granted i guess a lot of the folks on here that cant dress probs wear pleated khakis and polos tucked in for work.

Polos meet the dress code at work (pharma lab) so they are what I wear -- easy and comfortable. Long sleeves are a nuisance with the lab coat.

I thought JCrew had a logo? Might be worth revisiting.

Back