• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Toronto

deacphan

Reaction score
So it looks like I'll be travelling to Toronto for work 3/17-28. I'm sure it's lovely there that time of year (NOT!)...

Any advice on things to do while I'm there? Where to eat? Maybe get out of the city while I'm stuck there for a weekend.

Looks like my client is downtown near the Harbour (or Harbour street anyway and the water) if that makes a difference. Of course I miss MY RAYS in Toronto for their home opener the following week.

It doesn't matter that the weather will be cold because you can travel all over the city underground! It's like a mall down there, with restaurants and shops, and you can go from one building to another without going outside.

Bummer about the timing and just missing baseball. Tickets to Maple Leafs games are notoriously expensive, but they have a square in front and a massive sports bar attached to the stadium. I bet that would be a fun place to watch a Leafs game.

That's all I've got.

Go see the Runnin' Raps play at the Air Canada Centre or whatever they call it nowadays. Not sure if you care about crossing NBA arenas off your list, but that's a hard one to get.

oh that's a good idea. let me see if they're in town.

i was looking at the maple leafs, but the canadiens are in town the weekend i'm there so tix will probs be outrageous. may have to check it out anyway or at least hit up a sports bar.

OKC friday night might be a must. also hawks on sunday. well that will be something to do. not sure if i'll be the only one staying in town over the weekend because the rest of the team is coming from nyc. lucky me.

here now. thanks for the help, guys. NOT.

if anyone does come here check out beer bistro downtown. nice beer selection and pretty good food. doubt i'll be doing too much more as i am just working. LAME.

If you have the time to walk around some, Chinatown is worth a look. Some really good bakeries there. There is touristy stuff like the Hockey Hall of Fame and CN Tower. If you walk around looking like a tourist, though, some cops will probably give you a hard time. Being in Canada, they don't really have anything else to do. It has been a while, but I'm pretty sure we went to Pearl restaurant in Queen's Quey Terminal which is probably pretty close to where you are at, and it was very good.

it's like 20/5 high/lows this week. NOT walking anywhere.

My pops was just there. Said these were his favorite dinner joints (tho clients paid):

SoHo House
Momofuku

And St. Lawrence Market was great for lunch.

If nothing else, you are there for a magnificent meltdown by the Maple Leafs. I hope you are watching the local news, or Sportscentre.

I am headed to Toronto may 22-25 for work, but taking the wife and kiddo with me. any must sees/places to eat? my conference has Dennis DeYoung (STYX) playing one night, so theres that

I am headed to Toronto may 22-25 for work, but taking the wife and kiddo with me. any must sees/places to eat? my conference has Dennis DeYoung (STYX) playing one night, so theres that

They give out free samples at the Steam Whistle brewery - they have tours too but they booked up really fast in the summer so I wasn't able to get in to do one. If you're into hockey at all you should do the Hockey HOF. I stayed right by the Distillery District and there were some decent restaurants and shops there. Good place to walk around and browse if you're into that type of thing

Wife and I were all set to head to Belgium in November then the terrorist attack happened. By random selection, we decided to head to Toronto instead and were pleasantly surprised by how much fun we had. (Note: we live in NYC, so the cold doesn't bother us.)

If your kid is into trains, there's an old train depot halfway between the CN Tower/Rogers Center (Blue Jays) and Steam Whistle Brewery. As the previous poster mentioned, definitely do the Steam Whistle tour. For $10(?), you get a 30 minute tour, 2 beers (minimum) and choice of beer mug or shot glass afterwards. Also, buy some Steam Whistle to take back to your room with you. Maybe your kid could wait outside with your wife? :) Or, the 2 of them could go to Ripley's Aquarium (recommended only if you haven't been spoiled by the Georgia Aquarium) across the street.

Distillery District is solid for dinner/drinks. The Momofuku previously mentioned is also very good. I probably would have been comfortable taking either of my kids (2 and 5) to those places but, then again, we eat out a lot with them. Carmen's Steakhouse was also very good.

Day trips to Niagara Falls are exhausting but worth doing once in your life.

We saw a Leafs game when we were there and it was a great experience. Definitely visit the old Maple Leafs Garden- there's always a few hockey games going on there regardless of the season. No cost to get in.

Try to take the subway everywhere you can. It's efficient and clean.

Not sure how the USD is doing right now, but you can do a lot of good shopping if the dollar is still strong.

Forgot about recommending subway/streetcars - they are money

On my way up to Toronto now. Staying across from the NHL Hall or Fame so will check that out. Also going to Raptors/Cavs game Saturday.

Plan to do the Steam Whistle tour on the recommendation of you guys and the internet.

Any other new recs people have? Weather should be pretty nice, sunny and high of 64 each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back