• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Who here can read Arabic or possibly Farsi?

what's that from?

there was a time i could have attempted to read it, but it's been 5 years since i studied arabic at all and there's been very, very little retention. good luck trying to get it translated.

It says "And Mohamed said, 'Neither eat the flesh of the swine, lest you lose to Stetson and Iona at home.'"

what's that from?

there was a time i could have attempted to read it, but it's been 5 years since i studied arabic at all and there's been very, very little retention. good luck trying to get it translated.

It is a rug that my Granddaddy brought back from the Middle East during World War II.

Farsi is the Persian form of Arabic. So sounds like OP is on the right track

Might not work, but depending on what kind of phone you have, the Google Translate app can translate from images. Worth a shot...

Got this response from a friend "it's pretty old farsi, so it's hard to translate unless you've been trained in it". His grandfather is going to take a look at it later today.

Thank you!

Rough translation (it's an old poem):

"There are only a couple of breaths until the end of your life.....It is best to use these couple of breaths to have a good time and enjoy life"

Nist joz yek do nafas eish to ra bahr ze omr Hamcho sobh in do nafas kharje tarab bayad Kard

Nist..... There is not
Joz......Except
Yek...One
Do....Two
Nafas....Breath
To ra....You'rs
Bahr....Own
Ze....From
Omr... Life

Hamcho....Such as
Sobh....Morning
In....This