• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Attorney General Eric Holder's ballot offered to stranger (Video)

The main groups are seniors, the poor, and students.

This argument makes zero sense. What college student doesn't have an ID? And not just a school ID, but an actual ID. If you can afford to be a student you can afford a goddamn state ID.

So how do the poor get their benefits if they don't have IDs?

It's BS that someone could impersonate another voter at the polls because they don't require an ID. If someone can show that they can't afford an ID, then the state should provide them with an ID for free. I doubt it would be a huge cost to absorb. We already give the poor cellphones for free.

So how do the poor get their benefits if they don't have IDs?

In some states you can sign the papers under the penalty of perjury to get benefits.

It's BS that someone could impersonate another voter at the polls because they don't require an ID. If someone can show that they can't afford an ID, then the state should provide them with an ID for free. I doubt it would be a huge cost to absorb. We already give the poor cellphones for free.

I could rob a bank, but i'm not going to. There are a lot of things people could do that they don't do.

Let's say it only costs a state $1M every other year in total to provide the IDs and enforcement of the law that's ridiculously low number). That's 6-10 teachers that state either has to fie or not hire to stop a crime that almost never occurs.

I thought conservatives were against government waste?

requiring photo IDs to vote means teachers are fired and crime rates explode! proponents are anti-children and pro murder! and old people die! they DIE!

conservatives want people to DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111oneoneoneoneone

"But while carrying picture ID is second nature for the vast majority of Americans, about 10% of citizens don't have one. They don't drive, they don't travel by plane, and they don't do other things that routinely require most people to show a driver's license or something else with a picture on it. But they work, they pay taxes and they certainly should be able to vote. If a state requires its citizens to show a photo ID at the polls, officials should bend over backward to make sure that ID is easy to get.

The Justice Department says that's not the case in Texas, where Hispanic registered voters are about twice as likely as non-Hispanics to lack a photo ID. The department says that while a Texas voter ID card is free, getting one can be a challenge. Eighty one of Texas' 254 counties have no driver's license offices, and one state senator said his constituents would have to make a 176-mile round trip for the card. Further, if voters lack the documents required to qualify, the cheapest alternative requires them to spend $22 for a copy of their birth certificate."

In TX, about 1/3 of all counties don't have places to get IDs, should all those people be denied the right if they don't have a DL?

If the people don't have an ID, they probably don't have DL. Exactly how would that person travel 176 miles to get one? Who would pay for the transportation?

This would obviously be a poll tax for this entire county.

This argument makes zero sense. What college student doesn't have an ID? And not just a school ID, but an actual ID. If you can afford to be a student you can afford a goddamn state ID.

Most college kids vote based on their college address. They don't have an ID that also reflects this address.

Old folks get absentees in the mail automatically, so do the physically disabled.

"But while carrying picture ID is second nature for the vast majority of Americans, about 10% of citizens don't have one. They don't drive, they don't travel by plane, and they don't do other things that routinely require most people to show a driver's license or something else with a picture on it. But they work, they pay taxes and they certainly should be able to vote. If a state requires its citizens to show a photo ID at the polls, officials should bend over backward to make sure that ID is easy to get.

The Justice Department says that's not the case in Texas, where Hispanic registered voters are about twice as likely as non-Hispanics to lack a photo ID. The department says that while a Texas voter ID card is free, getting one can be a challenge. Eighty one of Texas' 254 counties have no driver's license offices, and one state senator said his constituents would have to make a 176-mile round trip for the card. Further, if voters lack the documents required to qualify, the cheapest alternative requires them to spend $22 for a copy of their birth certificate."

In TX, about 1/3 of all counties don't have places to get IDs, should all those people be denied the right if they don't have a DL?

If the people don't have an ID, they probably don't have DL. Exactly how would that person travel 176 miles to get one? Who would pay for the transportation?

This would obviously be a poll tax for this entire county.

They obviously arrange to get to the polling station. I would have to assume if the state provided them with a free ID card then they could find a ride to go pick up that free ID. It is not a poll tax if you provide the service for free. Pretty simply concept. Hard to argue that it is a poll tax for a person to have to find transportation to pick up an ID, when those people have to arrange for transportation to vote in the first place. Your line of reasoning would then extend to the government being required to provide transportation to everyone to get to the poll to vote which I think we all can agree is nonsense.

Provide a free ID to anyone without a driver's license
Require the free ID or another form of acceptable identification to be presented in order to vote
Not a poll tax because a free option is provided

Very simple. If this discourages you from voting then that is a 'you' problem. There is no reason you shouldn't have to provide evidence that you are the person that you are representing.

They obviously arrange to get to the polling station. I would have to assume if the state provided them with a free ID card then they could find a ride to go pick up that free ID. It is not a poll tax if you provide the service for free. Pretty simply concept. Hard to argue that it is a poll tax for a person to have to find transportation to pick up an ID, when those people have to arrange for transportation to vote in the first place. Your line of reasoning would then extend to the government being required to provide transportation to everyone to get to the poll to vote which I think we all can agree is nonsense.

Require the free ID or another form of acceptable identification to be presented in order to vote

Very simple. If this discourages you from voting then that is a 'you' problem. There is no reason you shouldn't have to provide evidence that you are the person that you are representing.

so it's fair to require a person to travel 176 miles to pick up an ID?

Where in the Constitution does it say "Vote must travel over a hundred miles to get ID to vote?"

Why can't they vote absentee? If the state has their tax information on file, they could easily mail them a ballot. I would hate for someone to have to spend their own gas money to go vote.

But you don't have to show ID to vote absentee. So you shouldn't be able to vote.

To vote by mail, you should have to either give DNA and have the mailman take a test when you get the ballot or show Ito the postal worker when you get your ballot.

But you don't have to show ID to vote absentee. So you shouldn't be able to vote.

To vote by mail, you should have to either give DNA and have the mailman take a test when you get the ballot or show Ito the postal worker when you get your ballot.

That's your best attempt? You're usually way better at deflecting and changing the subject, when you're getting ass raped in a thread.

Where in the Constitution does it say "Vote must travel over a hundred miles to get ID to vote?"

No one would have to travel 100 miles anywhere to get a voter ID.

Absentee ballot fraud is worse than in person fraud. There is no doubt about that.

No one would have to travel 100 miles anywhere to get a voter ID.

READING IS FUNDAMEMENTAL- look a few posts up. I showed in TX there is at least one county where it would take a 176 mile RT to get an ID. I also showed that in EIGHTY-THREE counties there are no DMV offices.

Is the state going to pay for the transportation for those who don't live in counties with DMVs?

RWers are so transparent. They use outrage over a non-problem to mask their desire to institutionally suppress the vote and suppose guilt on millions of Americans over possibility that a few might break the law.

Back to the OP, had the person signed the name and took the ballot, he would have committed a felony. Clearly he chose not to go that far because the risk of getting caught was not worth making the video. How does the video show voter fraud if no voter fraud was committed?

Let's leave TX and go other places.

In WI, Scott Walker is closing DMVs in Dem districts to make it harder for potential Dems to register:

"Gov. Scott Walker’s administration is working on finalizing a plan to close as many as 10 offices where people can obtain driver’s licenses in order to expand hours elsewhere and come into compliance with new requirements that voters show photo IDs at the polls.

One Democratic lawmaker said Friday it appeared the decisions were based on politics, with the department targeting offices for closure in Democratic areas and expanding hours for those in Republican districts. [...] Rep. Andy Jorgensen, D-Fort Atkinson, called on the state Department of Transportation to reconsider its plants to close the Fort Atkinson DMV center. The department plans to expand by four hours a week the hours of a center about 30 minutes away in Watertown. [...]

“What the heck is going on here?” Jorgensen said. “Is politics at play here?”

For 63 years, Brokaw, Wisconsin native Ruthelle Frank went to the polls to vote. Though paralyzed on her left side since birth, the 84-year-old “fiery woman” voted in every election since 1948 and even got elected herself as a member of the Brokaw Village Board. But because of the state’s new voter ID law, 2012 will be the first year Frank can’t vote. Born after a difficult birth at her home in 1927, Frank never received an official birth certificate. Her mother recorded it in her family Bible and Frank has a certification of baptism from a few months later, along with a Social Security card, a Medicare statement, and a checkbook. But without the official document, she can’t secure the state ID card that the new law requires to vote next year.
“It’s really crazy,” she added. “I’ve got all this proof. You mean to tell me that I’m not a U.S. citizen?” But state officials have informed Frank that, because the state Register of Deeds does have a record of her birth, they can issue her a new birth certificate — for a fee. And because of a spelling error, that fee may be as high as $200

Add Frank's to the stories of 96-year old Dorothy Cooper in TN who has voted in every election since woman were granted the right to vote, but who no longer may be able to cast her vote on Election Day next year, and 86-year old WWII veteran Darwin Sparks in the same state; along with hundreds of thousands of others who are likely to find themselves unable to cast their legal vote on Election Day next year thanks to new voter suppression laws implemented in about a dozen states by GOP legislatures and governor's since they took control in 2010.

In Wisconsin, where "an estimated 177,399 Wisconsin residents 65 and older do not have a driver’s license or state photo ID — 23 percent of that population," and where Frank may have to pay as much as $200 to cast her legal vote under the GOP's new anti-democratic and anti-Democratic polling place Photo ID restrictions"

Back